Any ideas???

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-09 AT 00:56AM (MST)[p]I've got 8 NR elk points, and 10 deer and antelope points.

I know I'm not there for a rifle antelope tag yet but what would you do for deer and elk???

Oh yea, I hunt archery, muzzy and rifle.

You're somewhat in the middle of decent tags and poor tags and a long ways from a great tag.

Even as a res 10 deer points will only get you a few decent tags, as a NR you're in a tough spot. so you could take a buddy or two and have a camping trip with a chance at a buck, or just build more points for the future.

For elk you can draw lots of decent tags with 8, probably take a buddy on the same hunt with 4 a peice, or hold out for years to get a better tag. the points spread between what you have now and what you'l need for a better quality tag is huge.

most Oregon goat tags have trophy potential, some are way better than others but if you can't draw it doesn't matter. I'd just watch the draw odds and decide how long you want to wait and go at it that way.

If you want specific units most of us can do that but it's just opinion, you can tell more about the actual quality of a unit by the draw odds than what we have to say.

Cal, with 10 antelope points, and you being a bowhunter, I think I would probably hold out for Hart Mountain bow, unless you are in a hurry to use those points. It will be a few years, given that every other year an outfitter gets the one tag, instead of the non-resident, but you will get there eventually.

On the deer hunt, the only idea I have is to see if Wyoming or Colorado would let us trade them in for some of theirs. 10 Oregon points for 1 colorado or Wyoming point is probably a rip-off for them, maybe throw in some cash. Seriously, you have about the same odds of drawing Metolius late bow or Mt emily late rifle as you do Hart Mountain Bow antelope, so if you are patient, those are decent hunts.

After following your elk hunt in Utah, I do have a suggestion for you on elk that would not use your points. I really don't want to go into details here, but shoot me an pm if you are interested in, and I will tell you what I know, or think I know anyway.

By the way, did you end up hunting antelope in Wyoming last year? We had a great time in Unit 30 with left over tags. Great hunt when you don't get drawn for anything.

Scoutdog

Back
Top Bottom