Any luck so far???????

B

Bura Nut

Has anyone got one yet from AZ the early hunt, or NM???? I head out in a few days for my Nov. hunt and want to hear any stories...... Allen......

I shot my first coues deer sat. in 36c. Just a 2x2 but I'm happy. I did glass a nice 3x3 thurs. morning then that evening about 5 atv's started driving around that area and I did not find him on fri. I saw a total of four bucks the 3x3 a couple of 2x2's and a spike. Good luck on your hunt......Tom.

Scouted again this weekend and saw a few but mostly hunters, My hunt is also Nov 8 Unit34a,Didnt see or talk to anyone that had done any good. Hope my hunt will be ok, Im looking forward to taking my first Whitetail, I Am actually a bowhunter at heart really havent shot a rifle for about 18 years now but am still looking forward to it,
Tagline

Tom: I am real happy for you. Where abouts did you get your deer? I bet there was a bit of rain on saturday down there. Congrats to you......I have the Nov 8th hunt like tagline, and I am not going to be very picky, so hopefully the Gods shine on me as well...... Allen......

Thanks Bura Nut. The weather was warm on Fri. and Sat. was mostly cloudy got hit by about 3 drops of rain. I heard rain came in sun. so I just missed it. I started hunting around Mildred Peak. That is where I did most of my scouting and saw some decent bucks. The only other times I've been in the unit was during the late archery season so I didn't know how many people would be there during the rifle season. It was a zoo in there I was pretty dissapointed. I hunted that spot till about 10am sat. and went back to camp. I pulled out my maps and deciced to go south of there. I took off down the highway and went in I ended up finding a locked gate and walked in from there. I basically went in just to glass the mountain range so I could plan my hunt for sun. I took my binos my tripod and rifle and I left my pack in my truck. I sat down to glass and about 15 minutes later I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. He was about 75 yards away and I decided to shoot. I shot him in the transition zone between the flats and the mountain range. I'm a beginner at coues hunting but I did my homework by scouting, reading everything I could on this site and others, and by talking to people. I have to say that about 70 percent of the hunters in there are clueless. My hunting partner flaked out on going before the hunt so I was by myself. I was a little leery about going by myself because of some of the the things I heard so I made up my mind to shoot the first buck that wasn't a spike. The only problems I encountered where hunters driving back and forth on atv's. I have no doubt you'll get your buck because you've done your homework. I can't wait till jan. to be back out there with my bow. I've developed a bad case of coues fever. Tom

ALLEN, WE HAD A GREAT SUCCSESS IN ELK CAMP THIS YEAR. I WILL BE LEAVING FOR AZ WED MORNING. PLAN ON LOOKING THE COUNTRY OVER ON THURS. MAYBE WE CAN MEET WED NIGHT IF YOU ARE IN TOWN. I CAN ALTER MY ROUTE A BIT. I NEED TO GO TO WILCOX. YOU ARE IN PHOENIX RIGHT ? TAKE CARE, JD

oops!! I'm sorry Tom I forgot to congratulate ya on your first whitetail buck, I started responding to the post and got all caught up in it, I hope I have the same success in my hunt when it gets here,Post a pic if ya got any would like to see it.
CONGRATULATIONS Tagline

Thank you tagline. I'm also mainly a bowhunter. I decided to put in for a rifle hunt so I could have more time learning about these deer. What I would really like to do is take one with my bow. I'm not to computer literate on how to post pics and I don't have a scanner but I have a friend who will scan them and send them to my email, then I will see what I can do. Tom

Tom: That was a great story. Try and get the picture posted, I hope anyone that gets one does the same. I am like Tom, I will have to get someone to post the picture for me if I get lucky. JD, glad your camp went well, I live in Mesa, right close to Phoenix so if we can, we will hook up. 602-454-2146 I can be reached most anytime. I will be in town till I leave thurday the 7th for 36c. I believe Mildred peaks is south of where I am hunting, but I got a feeling I will shoot one in the Transition Zone like Tom did......... Allen.....

Tom,
Got the pics in my e-mail and they are great, hope my hunt is as successful as yours, I can hardly wait to get out there, Thanks for sharing, If i do as well I'll send a pic as well. I dont know how to post these on the site but you should maybe see if you can get them posted for others to see they would enjoy them as well.

Keep on Keepin on, Good job
Tagline

Allen,

My hunt was a success! I bagged a small buck on the second day of the hunt while still hunting. Saw a lot of does and lion kills. Actually ran into some hound hunters looking for lion. I didn't fill my lion tag though.

I shot my buck with a Marlin .444P lever action at 44 yards. My Brother missed a 90's buck the same day. He said it moved like the "chosen one" from the Matrix! We had a ton of fun.

Thanks again for yours and Coues help. I plan on getting a bigger one next!

Congrats to all who filled their tag!

Good luck to all and be safe.

Regards,

Chef

Got one. A decent last day Unit 33 buck. post pics and stories tonite....
Bret Mattausch

Congrats to you all.
Hey Chef shoot me an email and a picture. I would like to Know all about your hunt.
Coues

Chef, post the story here on the board so we can all hear about it....... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

I have my hunt in unit 22 in December. I can't wait. I've seen a couple of 110's this year already and a few 90's to 100's.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-02 AT 11:56PM (MST)[p]Well as some of you might remember, I was hunting the area by Fort Huachuca, just Southeast of it. In unit 35A, Thanks again to those of you that helped me along the way to success, you know who you are.

Six of us eagerly headed down with deer and mountain lion tags in our hands. We decided to try our luck at the cats too. During the first scouting only day of our hunt, we came across two hunters on horseback (and muleback) with hounds looking for lion as well. They looked like ranchers that were doing their part in reducing their cattle losses to lion. Guess it has gotten to be a problem around the area.

Well, Az. has a buck only hunt and we saw plenty of does. I spooked at least one weary doe everyday of the hunt with a reasonable shot at every one. Too bad they had no antlers. My Father, Father in Law, Brothers, and a friend didn't have as much luck in seeing deer as I did but they did spook a few, all does. Of course I glassed a lot more than they did, and had a lot of fun seeing the deer in their daily routines.

To much uneeded news from work, my Brother encountered problems and had to go back to his business. My Father noticed it was serious and decided to go with him. So they left two days into the hunt. It turned out to be okay for them both as it worked out but missed the hunt. It worked out marvelously for me since I was now able to hunt with my brothers Marlin .444P!

The following morning we headed out to an area that held more sign. We were spooking more deer than ever. Several hours later, while hunting alongside my youngest Brother, I heard a shot from his 1894 .44 mag. (we were all still hunting with levers) Then another shot followed. I hung quietly still, waiting for a buck to come crashing through the brush rushing down the ravine to my waiting bore. Nothing came. I later found my brother and he was shaking like a leaf! He said he missed a trophy animal and with the look of disgust on his face, I believe him! We looked for sign everywhere. We saw the tree at 75 yards that he hit with the first shot that was directly in front of the buck by his lower heart area. He had shot low. The second shot, he was certain, was a complete miss. We still hunted in the direction that the buck trotted toward. No sign and no buck as we hit a private property fence. Recollecting the situation, my Brother jokingly said the buck must have been the "chosen one" from The Matrix since he bent over backwards to miss the bullets! We were having fun.

We continued our initialy planned path around the area. We saw something gray to our right and saw six of the biggest darn Gould's turkey I have ever seen. I took out my turkey call and got their attention. They came to within 20 yards from where we were before they lost interest and headed their merry way. It was great.

We continued on our brushy path, as merrily as could be as well.

Later we jump a small buck at 44 yards! He looks at us, we look at him. I raise my rifle as I anticipate my Brother to shoot first. My .444P fires and the buck bolts to the direction away and to my right. All this happening in what appears to be slow motion as the gross feeling of missing a buck grows bigger in my stomach. Not a second later, I instinctively chamber another round, take quick aim, and fire again. Buck Down!

We walk to the buck and replay the actions that just took place. We review the scene to find that my first shot had actually hit him! Right behind the leading shoulder exiting in front of his opposing shoulder towards the chest. The area behind the buck looked like someone has spray painted red paint all over! The exit wound was the size of a quarter! Why didn't the buck go down immediately? I was very suprised to say the least. 240 grains should have done it, especially on this size deer. I figured out later I had hit no major bone with the first shot. My second shot hit the neck and snapped the spinal column. I was happy with my shooting now, knowing I hit him both times. My first shot aimed while the second I had shotgunned him.

The .444P pointed well to my satisfaction. It has no pad other than the factory installed and it felt as though I fired a BB gun! I later asked my Brother why he hadn't shot and he said he didn't have a clear view until after the deer bolted after my first shot. Then the ringing in his ears was so intense after my ported barrel rang, he didn't know what the heck was going on!

The hunting party spooked a few more bucks during the trip with no shots presenting themselves. No lion tags filled either, but if we had turkey or javalina tags, they would have been filled for sure. We later saw a band of 14 turkey and six pigs, good size.

I was the only one with a buck while we all had fun. Can't wait until my next hunt. Thanks to all of you, I knew what to expect. The lil' buck will be tender as all else!

I'm sorry to say my Father had taken his digital camera with him back home. I had planned to post a few pictures but none were taken. Next time I guess.

Good luck to the rest of you and be safe out there.

Anyone else hunting unit 35A? Saw two 90 to 100 class bucks!

Chef

I think those turkeys down there are of the Goulds variety and not Merriams. That is the only place in the nation that you can hunt Goulds turkeys. Congrats on your buck. I have heard lots of big deer stories from alot of people including a monster nontypical killed in 33. None from down in that part of the state though.
Bret M.

Bret,

You are absolutely correct! I couldn't remember the name of the turkey variety and Merriams only came to mind! A Fish and Game ranger informed us that this past year, only two permits were issued for Gould's turkey in the area. One was at auction for about $7500.00 and the other was drawn. The guy that drew the tag had the opportunity to go with the G&F to do their yearly count before his actual hunt. He got to know their areas pretty well. He filled his tag with a bow and was the first ever to take that variety with one. At least that's what the ranger told us.

Chef

Good job Chef. I have one question, did you like hunting coues more than back east whitetails???? The hunting is very different in terms of style and patterning....Just curious.... Thanks, Allen......

Allen,

To tell you the truth, hunting here in GA. has been difficult as with everything is all private. If you don't own a farm or aren't a member of a club, your options are limited to say the least.

You can hunt 10 does and two bucks here this year. That gives you an idea of just how many deer there are here. They just legallized hunting with a crossbow too. The deer are getting better and it's usually a matter of time before you fill a tag. Most hunters here go out the weekends and such since the woods are always nearby.

Hunting Coues definitely gives you an appreciation for the filling of a tag. It's not easy but well worth the trip. I have yet to hunt for Sheep and I imagine it to be similar. I enjoy the hunt for Western deer more so since it's more challenging. It tests your endurance, your stalking skills, and you shooting skills almost all at the same time. Much better than sit and wait. Out West it's more of a hunt, if that makes any sense.

I want my next hunt to be for Big Boar here in the Southern states. I hear of Boars getting up towards and past 400 pounds! That's a lot of angry tusk.

My Father in Law is heading out to Mexico come early January to hunt. Boy do I wish I could go with him! Last year they bagged 7 deer! Two Coues and the rest Mule deer.

I'll keep everyone posted on what happens next!

Regards,

Chef

P.S.
I e-mailed Coues but didn't let everyone else on the board know...I ran into at least two lion kills of fawns and small spikes while out in AZ. I second what you said before Bura and urge everyone to buy a tag for mountain lion. You will be doing more than you think for the deer population as well as maybe bag a trophy.

howd you do on you november hunt? what unit did you have? i also had the november hunt and i shot my first coues deer on the last morning at 340 yards. i was in unit 36b what abou t you

Casey, I had unit 36c and screwed up a good opportunity, I missed at 509 on a good buck I had scouted during the summer.. I go to mexico in December for my "Trip of a lifetime" for coues, so I have one more chance this year..... Thanks, Allen......

wow allen that sounds awesome. i have a few friends who have hunted there. one of the killed a 106 the other killed a 125 i woudltn settle for anyting under 115 unless its the last day or so. i read a article the other day were there was 3 guys, one killed a 125 the other killed like a 112 and the other guy killed a "little" 95 incher on the last day only cause he missed at a bout a 120 or so

I hope that I have those same problems to deal with. I would love to kill one over 110, but I will just have to wait and see what the coues gods bring. I also hope to get some good video of rutting bucks.... Allen Taylor......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom