Any one doing good in 17?

elkfanatic

We were down there the first three days then we had to go to school. We haven't seen much the bucks aren't really chasing the does. My brother was 20 yards from a buck but there was a bunch of brush and he was bedded under a cliff and picked him off and got the *%&$ out of there. Has anyone else been doing good?

I was down for a couple scouting trips and opening day, but haven't found many deer yet. Spent a lot of time behind the spotting scope and the only two bucks I've seen were a spike and a fork. My first time hunting this unit though, so I'm not sure if this is just a bad year or if I'm in the wrong areas. Most of the lower country seems pretty grazed out, maybe they are still hanging out up higher? Hoping I can find something to chase this weekend. Good Luck!

Thanks you too! We've been hunting in places where there is still snow on the northern slopes and that has been alright but all the bucks we've seen are really stunted the biggest one we saw was a huge fork horn 2 weekends ago scouting and most of the bucks we have seen are mostly forks with maybe some 3 in 3rds on the end of the beam or on there g2s but thats fine this will be my first deer if i get one and the first for my brother too. So good luck go get 'em!

Pretty tough in my opinion, 60 deer in 7 full days. I don't know what the average densities are typically like in the unit - south end in particular but finding deer was tough. Include the fact that we never saw a single fawn... Great country I hope to draw an elk tag in someday but the deer numbers were a disappointment.

I was only able to go Saturday, but finally found some bucks. I misjudged the yardage and just barely missed a really nice 4X4. He had does on the brain. Almost got a second shot at him but there was too much brush. Saw 3 bucks and 10 does total, so not real good numbers but enough to have some excitement. The big guy was pretty busy chasing does and trying to keep the smaller buck away. They were in some steep nasty stuff though! Don't think I will be able to get out again, so hopefully I can draw the tag again someday....

Ya some of that country is steep and nasty even down in the foothills. Well sorry to hear that at least you got a shot that's good. We might go out next sunday for the last day but i don't know if the rut will still be on by then.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom