Any one see a lion this year? Able to harvest?

goforbroke

I have never seen a mt lion while hunting. Be kinda cool to be able to harvest one now that a tag isn't needed. Wondering if the rule change will lead to increase in harvest?

New rules? I had two I came across this muzzy hunt with daughter. I guess I need to read about the new rules

Seen one and screwed the pooch at 200 yard with the muzzleloader. :cautious: Still have only seen a handful while hunting in my lifetime. There will be several a year killed, but no big numbers.

I used to be on the mountain daily, logging for 15ish years. The only lion I've ever seen was treed by dogs. My wife could have killed one a couple years ago. It came into my elk calling. I didn't see that one either, but it was 10 yards from her.

Seen one and screwed the pooch at 200 yard with the muzzleloader. :cautious: Still have only seen a handful while hunting in my lifetime. There will be several a year killed, but no big numbers.
I think that is exactly what is needed, just enough to keep population from continuing to explode and deer #'s to try and stabilize. I glassed up two on my archery deer hunt in AZ, I borrowed a gun and shot one and I had a younger guy shoot the other he had never shot one before.
Thankfully I had a tag, it is OTC and cheap in AZ

IMG_3883.jpeg
IMG_3880.jpeg
image000000.jpeg

I have seen several in the wild without hounds, none this year though. Hell I'm done with big game for the year, may need to see about getting a cat.

Kinda Funny!

The Deer & Elk Only Hunters Seen Several Cats Every Year!

But Can't Seem To See Them Now That It's Open Season On The Cats!
I never seen anyone say they see them every year, but I have seen several over the years. Including a couple, I could have killed with a bow.

I’ve seen 4 in Wyoming, 2 in South Dakota, and 1 on a North Dakota hunt in the last 30 some years. Headed to Utah in a bit, sons all wound up about seeing one….. I told him not likely but who knows !!!

Just because you didn't see one during your big game hunt, that doesn't mean you are done! You can still hunt them during your small game, waterfowl, bear & varmint hunts and while you're fishing on the shore or driving the woods for the scenery or gathering firewood or Christmas tree(s) or hiking or camping, or you can just book a hound hunt. Just bring your hunting license, a weapon and know where you are and where the cat is and what the rules are for the area and time. Year round and unlimited!

Last edited:
Looks like Colorado is headed towards outlawing lion hunting, so park yourself on the Utah/Co state line and pick them off as the come across. And Co is releasing wolves. If you park yourself at 3 corners, facing Co, take out any lion that crosses the line on your right and any wolf that crosses the line on your left.

Just because you didn't see one during your big game hunt, that doesn't mean you are done! You can still hunt them during your small game, waterfowl, bear & varmint hunts and while you're fishing on the shore or driving the woods for the scenery or gathering firewood or Christmas tree(s) or hiking or camping, or you can just book a hound hunt. Just bring your hunting license, a weapon and know where you are and where the cat is and what the rules are for the area and time. Year round and unlimited!
I'm not familiar enough with cougars to know whether or not the meat is edible, but if I ever shoot one, I'll find out. Plus, I know the head and the hide are used for mounts and rugs, so it may be worth it financially as well as emotionally to go on a hunt specifically for one (or more).

In my case, since I don't have dogs and couldn't keep up with them if I did, I'll do what I normally do and figure out a way to get them to come to me. I've got some ideas rolling around in my head (Yes,, they're all legal) but I'll need to do some more research on the animal to find their weaknesses. I'll let you know if it works out.

I'm not familiar enough with cougars to know whether or not the meat is edible, but if I ever shoot one, I'll find out. Plus, I know the head and the hide are used for mounts and rugs, so it may be worth it financially as well as emotionally to go on a hunt specifically for one (or more).

In my case, since I don't have dogs and couldn't keep up with them if I did, I'll do what I normally do and figure out a way to get them to come to me. I've got some ideas rolling around in my head (Yes,, they're all legal) but I'll need to do some more research on the animal to find their weaknesses. I'll let you know if it works out.
????

So efa?

You're Gonna Bait Them Like You Do Deer?

I can’t do math regardless.

But that doesn’t have anything to do with hoping I can come across a cat along the way.

There's a fourth one behind the bush to the left !!!

Young female in the front with three almost one year old's following my tracks down into a NoTellum canyon in Wyoming.

They are literally 500 yards from my camper and literally on my boot tracks following me. Cut back up to get a better view of the canyon and heard a little "noise" behind me and swung my cam to catch 45 secs of video of these guys flowing me down in there.

I've had 85 lbs 'kittens' at 20 feet before, but not three of them all about the same size with the young mom on my trail. Epic to say the least, but at the same time disturbing as they are nothing good for the deer or antelope in the area :(

P1233476.JPG

Cheers, Pete

I saw a few tracks while out hiking this weekend, but never saw a lion. We did see a great looking black color phase black bear. Jet black. He was good sized. But this unit does not have a harvest objective tag....

Hey efa!

I'm Not Liable For Any Of The BS Taking Place!
Really? Then why is that I can't post on ANY thread without you bringing it up in the present tense in an attempt to discredit me and/or my ideas? You make it sound like I'm still breaking the law! I'm not! Your and my posts are seen by many of the people who make laws or influence those who make laws, and those posts have an impact on their votes.

It's true that some "baiting" got outa hand and turned into feeding, but my two dozen apples scattered around a waterhole that they were using anyway, never did. I only did it to get a clear, clean, level, broadside shot at an unalerted animal. But even that was too much for the anti-baiting crowd. They wanted ALL baiting banned and you see how far they took it. Now you can't even shoot an animal that may be going to or coming from a bait site or former bait site. And the ironic thing about this law is that it doesn't stop the baiting that got outa hand. Most of that's still legal! In any case, if you don't want to be liable for the BS, stop posting your opinions about it.

Saw my first lion ever on the San Juan during the early rifle elk hunt. Jumped him off an old logging road about 40 yards in front of us, I barely got a glimpse but my hunting partner saw him for 3-5 seconds.

Hey efa!

You're Gettin Too Wound Up!

I Like RAZZIN People!

You're Included Too!

I Have RAZZED You For Years About Your Apple Piles!

I'm Not Saying You're Still Setting Them Out!

But I Did Find Several Illegal Bait/Apple/Salt/Grain Piles This Year!

No!

I Didn't Say: That Damned efa!:D

Have You Not Heard Me Say Umpteen Times Over The Years:

Who Loses When Alot Of These New Laws Are NOT & Can't Be Enforced?

I'll Still Be Posting My Opinion!

Keep Baiting!

(That Doesn't Mean You/efa Is Still Baiting)

I Don't Really Care!

There's So Much BS Going On In Today's Hunting World It's Almost Beyond Belief!

Really? Then why is that I can't post on ANY thread without you bringing it up in the present tense in an attempt to discredit me and/or my ideas? You make it sound like I'm still breaking the law! I'm not! Your and my posts are seen by many of the people who make laws or influence those who make laws, and those posts have an impact on their votes.

It's true that some "baiting" got outa hand and turned into feeding, but my two dozen apples scattered around a waterhole that they were using anyway, never did. I only did it to get a clear, clean, level, broadside shot at an unalerted animal. But even that was too much for the anti-baiting crowd. They wanted ALL baiting banned and you see how far they took it. Now you can't even shoot an animal that may be going to or coming from a bait site or former bait site. And the ironic thing about this law is that it doesn't stop the baiting that got outa hand. Most of that's still legal! In any case, if you don't want to be liable for the BS, stop posting your opinions about it.

Hey efa!

You're Gettin Too Wound Up!

I Like RAZZIN People!

You're Included Too!

I Have RAZZED You For Years About Your Apple Piles!

I'm Not Saying You're Still Setting Them Out!

No!

I Didn't Say: That Damned efa!:D

Have You Not Heard Me Say Umpteen Times Over The Years:

Who Loses When Alot Of These New Laws Are NOT & Can't Be Enforced?

I'll Still Be Posting My Opinion!

Keep Baiting!

(That Doesn't Mean You/efa Is Still Baiting)

I Don't Really Care!

There's So Much BS Going On In Today's Hunting World It's Almost Beyond Belief!
So is it "MOTL" hunters or "Trophy hunters" that are creating the "BS" in today's hunting world? I'd really like to know.

I guess I would like to think that without both you have a lot less people that give a squat either way.

Everybody is demanding the DWR manage hunters. Most don't care about managing the herd.

To think every hunter out there is shoot on sight is as bad as thinking every hunter out there can only shoot a (... inch deer).

As for me I've seen 4 cats in the wild. Even if I was the fastest draw in the west I would not have had a chance at any.

Keep Baiting!
I Don't Really Care!
My, oh, my! Aren't you lucky! You found several places that you can no longer hunt and you're asking for more? Since the baited area is a circle 100 yards in diameter (including the bait in the center). AND since you can't shoot a big game animal that is going to or coming from that circle, you've got quite a task deciding whether or not any big game animal you see is legal. AND that's just the ones you know about that are currently baited. That doesn't include the current baits you didn't find nor the ones that were baited in the past, but are still drawing animals in.

Spot and stalk? Glass and shoot? Stillhunting? Deer drives? Road hunting? All those methods are now risky. I think I'll stick to known waterholes. What do you plan on doing?

In all my many years outdoors, I never saw a lion in the wild. But while watching a lion 2 feet away thru a viewing window at the Desert Museum in Tucson I saw it get really fired up when a kid walked up. It paid no attention to us adults but seriously perked up for little kids. Hmm!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom