Nevada Moose Hunt

Sparks Shooter

In a world where we are seeing declines almost universally in big game hunting opportunity, its really cool to have moose tags available in Nevada for the first time in history this year. I've seen a few over the years and will definitely be playing the lottery. Hope to see a steady increase in population where the habitat is suitable.-------SS

Money grab.... Convince me otherwise....
I have to agree with you…

Besides, I’m aware that we have moose in the northern part of the state, but legitimately if I actually did draw a tag, what are my odds of even locating one?

I have to agree with you…

Besides, I’m aware that we have moose in the northern part of the state, but legitimately if I actually did draw a tag, what are my odds of even locating one?
You probably could find a moose to shoot if you put in enough effort. But the odds to draw are going to be astronomical. Especially with all the hype it’s getting.

I mean look at the cover of the application booklet. That Bull has fronts with seven points on the left and five on the right.
Wow is that even real?
I’d like to know where that Bull is at.

Wow, I guess you could look at it like a money grab. Same way most of our sheep and goat tags are a money grab. If it was a real money grab, they'd just sell the tags to the highest bidder or at least open the draw to NR applicants. I see it as an opportunity but I'm a 'glass is full' kind of guy.

There are 100+ moose living in Elko County and a couple lucky Nevadans are going to get to hunt them. The State is doing a pretty good job marketing the whole thing.....cover pic on the regs, front page of the website, etc.

Moose will not be hard to find for the lucky tag winners.---SS

Last edited:
Wow, I guess you could look at it like a money grab. Same way most of our sheep and goat tags are a money grab. If it was a real money grab, they'd just sell the tags to the highest bidder or at least open the draw to NR applicants. I see it as an opportunity but I'm a 'glass is full' kind of guy.

There are 100+ moose living in Elko County and a couple lucky Nevadans are going to get to hunt them. The State is doing a pretty good job marketing the whole thing.....cover pic on the regs, front page of the website, etc.

Moose will not be hard to find for the lucky tag winners.---SS
Not to sound like a Debbie downer, but 100+ moose in an area that is 17,203 square miles in size doesn’t in any way sound like one would be exactly “easy” to locate.
It might be for the local folks in the area that have an idea where to look from previous sightings, but for someone like myself it sounds like a tall order requiring a lot of luck & right place at the right time.

Not to sound like a Debbie downer, but 100+ moose in an area that is 17,203 square miles in size doesn’t in any way sound like one would be exactly “easy” to locate.
It might be for the local folks in the area that have an idea where to look from previous sightings, but for someone like myself it sounds like a tall order requiring a lot of luck & right place at the right time.
Then don’t put in. Or actually put in some time scouting if you drew the tag. That seems to be a foreign concept anymore for a lot of guys. If nonresidents could apply, I would happily.

Then don’t put in. Or actually put in some time scouting if you drew the tag. That seems to be a foreign concept anymore for a lot of guys. If nonresidents could apply, I would happily.
I personally have no intention in applying.
Just like the wild turkey here in the state of NV, I think they should leave them alone for 10 years or so to allow them to flourish.

I mean look at the cover of the application booklet. That Bull has fronts with seven points on the left and five on the right.
Wow is that even real?
I’d like to know where that Bull is at.
Not a Nevada bull. I've attached a pic of one in 2021 (Jarbidge Area) , and another in Charleston Nevada (2017) for examples.

Nevada moose.jpg

'17 Elko, NV moose.jpg

I personally have no intention in applying.
Just like the wild turkey here in the state of NV, I think they should leave them alone for 10 years or so to allow them to flourish.
From what I read they say that removing one or two Bulls would be good for the herd.
Im thinking they said there are more Bulls than Cows.
Anyways it would be cool to get one of the first tags.
So im gonna spend some application money.

NDOW admitted that the photo on the cover of the Regs was taken in Wyoming. :rolleyes:
There are a lot of words I could use to describe how I feel about NDOW using a Wyoming moose on the cover of the Nevada application booklet. None good!

Especially since they’re kind of advertising, the first year Moose tags will be available in Nevada.
Surely they have a picture of a Bull moose that is actually in Nevada that they could’ve used.
I have a bad feeling about the decision to use that picture.
Disappointing to say the least!

I'd rather see a picture of a three-legged cow moose from Nevada than any bull from Wyoming on our Application Book. Everyone is too worried about being impressive these days.

Heck, there are plenty of good Nevada moose pictures floating around they could have used. All the ones I have are in the velvet and not quite fully developed but respectable bulls none the same. ----SS

I'd rather see a picture of a three-legged cow moose from Nevada than any bull from Wyoming on our Application Book. Everyone is too worried about being impressive these days.

Heck, there are plenty of good Nevada moose pictures floating around they could have used. All the ones I have are in the velvet and not quite fully developed but respectable bulls none the same. ----SS
Agreed
It’s all about apply apply apply. Look at the huge number of new applicants in the last three years since this campaign began.
Thousands and thousands of new applicants that aren’t really serious hunters.
It’s obvious when you look at the draw odds stats.

You definitely shouldn't put in for it then.

I gladly applied. There was a guide that has volunteered his services free of charge for any moose tag holder.

As a first year resident I am exited for the draw on all species. I know my chances are slim on all. May have to rely on the FCFS system to get any tags.
Who was that?

In my opinion, those Moose tags should go to disabled veterans.
If an outfitter would donate the moose hunt to a disabled veteran, I would be in favor of that.
To offer a free hunt to a general public hunter with no strings attached seems questionable.

If an outfitter would donate the moose hunt to a disabled veteran, I would be in favor of that.
To offer a free hunt to a general public hunter with no strings attached seems questionable.
Most likely great advertisement being the one to guide the first Nevada hunter to a trophy moose.

Would make a great advertisement being the first “guide” in Nevada to harvest a Moose.

I don’t think I will ever have the need to look up a Moose guide for Nevada. However there is always a chance….right?
I mean somebody is going to draw the tag against terrible odds right?

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom