Any Savage M99 owners?

m1fan

Very Active Member
Do you hunt with a 99? If so, what model and caliber? I just got a 99C in .308 (NIB) to join the veteran 99F in .300. About 8 years ago I went with my dad to PA for a deer hunt. I took my 99F as I knew the shots could be close. When we got together with some other hunters in the family deer camp, this crusty old guy kinda ignored the youngin (I was 32 at the time and from CA to boot) until I whipped out my 99. Then he started talking like he knew me, I never met him before, he was a friend of my uncle. He was also hunting with a 99 and because I had one that made me "one of the boys." There was a special feeling toting that old rifle around. Yes I did take a deer with it. I was very impressed what it did with open sights.

I've got one in .308, too. I love the way it handles, but have yet to hunt it, as rifles are a no-no in Indinana for deer. Just a ccol, classy gun, though. Picked it up used, just ahd to have one.
HB

I have model 99 that I got from my grandpa. It is in .300 savage. It is a great gun. I haven't shot it in a few years. It doesn't have the holes to mount a scope. I figure it is worth too much to drill holes for a scope so never did it. If anyone knows of a website that I could go to to date it I would appreciate it.

m1fan, thanks for the link. My rifle was made in 1946. I also got to looking and found when my .308 was made, 1956; and my Browning shotgun, pre 1939. It is a Belguin made and there were no records after the war. My grandpa went over there in the early 20's so has to be around then. Thanks, Orlin

i have one and my dad has one. both are .250/3000's and both are quite old. they are really well made rifles. mine has had the both barrel and buttstock cut down quite a bit. i expect for a kid. it's nice and short and works great to pack on a horse. i put a marble's peepsight on it and really like it. both have taken a lot of deer. i've shot quite a few bears and lions with mine also. great rifles. my brother in law has one that is a .30/30. it's really slick. has a barrel band like the ol' model .94's. real old.

My Grandmother use to shoot a Savage with peep-sights I believe it was the .308. Took her last deer here in CA back around 1977 and did it with a "Texas Heart Shot" as my uncle called it. ha ha
She said after seeing where she hit it, "well it's time to hang my the rifle" if I can not make a better shot than that. She was 74 years old at the time.

Brian

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom