Anybody get shot today

nitis

Many here are people fricken everywhere. Trying to help my dad in 6 what a nightmare and tomorrow will probably be worse. Trying some new ground tomorrow but I doubt we can get away from all the people. I don't care how far you are willing to walk

Nevada needed to up the tags, huh? Thats a shame.

Steve
Holder of a 2012 LE Utah Deer Tag!!

Looks like you have changed your tune from this previous post??

"Dad has that tag too and I have a antelope tag for part of it 061 062 064. We will be up there for the opener of my hunt to scout for Dad

I have never been in the unit but Kinda like most of Nevada from my experience you will know it when you see it. You will know what looks like an area off the beaten path enough no one will hike into. Get deep into the unit and Glass. there used to be lots more tags then there are this year at one point in time so you will still be able to get away

Wish I could offer more"

Is it really mule deer rifle season? This warm weather feels like we should still be chasing antelope. And it feels like deja vu, as last years early season was warm and for the most part weatherless.

My wife and I made the trip up for the area 6 opener in hope of filling her tag. We hiked up off the road in 062 and spike camped for a couple days. We saw numerous bucks (about 25 total), mostly young three points and forkies, but did see a handful of four points, with the biggest at about 150ish inches or so. She passed on him in hopes of uncovering bigger.

About 80% of the deer we saw were observed during the first two hours of glassing light, and it was nearly dead throughout the rest of the day. Everything is hunkered down in the thick and snoozing in this heat.

We did have a little competition, as two different hunters made the hump into the country we were hunting....but define competition. Both guys just hiked and barely stopped to glass, and one of the guys walked right by a buck group at about 100 yards. He probably would had seen them if he would stop to glass to see antlers sticking up out of the brush. Talked with other hunters on the way out and the consensus was very few deer observed and killed.

I know the heat is making it tough to find deer, and I believe that the average hunter is generally pretty ineffective (evident of the poor hunting efforts I observed over the weekend). This equates to poor success rates, just like last season.

My suggestion is to cut back on the whining and keep the "Anybody get shot today" dramatic statements on ice, and just simply hunt hard and effective. Folks that do just that will fill tags. I love the depressed and discouraged hunters like you guys - makes the competition easier.

Good thing the state didn't put out 2,200 tags out for area 6 like they did back in the late 1980's....it might of been a real sob story and tier jerker then.

I think Kleenex is on sale at Walgreens by the way.....

I just got home today from hunting in Area 6 and was very surprised that there were not as many people hunting on Friday but Saturday was a zoo. Friday was good and saw two great bucks but could not close the deal as I wanted to get into a better position for a shot and a small buck busted me and took the two bigger ones with him.

Back to Saturday, my dad and I took off early and got to where we wanted to start before first light and had time to kill waiting. Well for a lack of better terms, it was a congo line coming up right behind us and unfortunately our hunt plans were messed up but oh well. Since the day was a wash we went and took a walk and scouted a new area and was very surprised at the sign we found. We made a plan, was there at shoot time and wow, there were deer all over the place but due to a brief memory lose of how to shot correctly I could not hit my mark. Anyway we went back up the next morning, second to last day to hunt, and was able to push one out of the quakies and the bullet found it's mark.

So the moral of the story, get off the road, put on some miles and you will get away from people, see some deer and get some shooting.

I hunted what was supposed to be the biggest zoo in the state, and saw a group of 2 hunters at first light on the opener, then not a SINGLE person for the next 4.5 days. No complaints here...

www.bowhuntingetc.blogspot.com

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom