Anybody own an F-150 Ecoboost?

bonedaddy

I've been looking at trucks lately and came across the Ecoboost. I've seen a bunch of stuff online about it and wondered if anybody here drives one. I had almost settled on a new dodge 2500 with the hemi until I found this ford. Now I'm a little torn. Can't decide what to do. Thoughts?

My company bought one for me, now we have gotten rid of all our 3/4 ton gas trucks and use these. Their incredible! My personnel truck is a 2012 dodge cummins, If I had know what these trucks would do before I bought my dodge I would have never had bought another diesel and sold my fifth wheel. We buy them with 8 ft beds and the max tow package and I can go as fast as I want with 7k-8k pound trailer over parlys canyon or the sisters in wyoming. I can also go around 550-630 miles per tank of gas.

Oddly enough my dad drives one for a deputy vehicle. He loves it. He says the same thing. His personal vehicle is a 2011 F350 diesel. While a very nice and impressive truck he wishes he would have went with the eco. Towing capacity and the horsepower/torque that engine puts out is good enough for about 80% of us and our toys and camp trailers. All those features and the added bonus of good fuel mileage and the ride of a 1/2 ton I would say it's a no brainer. I have an 06 F150 with the 5.4 and love it. I can only imagine how nice the eco would be. Post some pics when you decide to buy!

Lots of Guys buying them & Perty Proud of them!

I'd place money saying Dodge & Chevy will come out with something soon that has 10 more HorsePower...................just sayin!:D

And Remember:

Until they do, CUPSY would rather walk!:D

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

Went and test drove one of em yesterday after work. Ran pretty good. I liked the interior and felt like it rode pretty nice but I am having a hard time with the exterior. I HATE the look of an F-150. They just look cheap I think. I'm gonna have to mull it over for a while.

>Went and test drove one of
>em yesterday after work. Ran
>pretty good. I liked the
>interior and felt like it
>rode pretty nice but I
>am having a hard time
>with the exterior. I HATE
>the look of an F-150.
> They just look cheap
>I think. I'm gonna
>have to mull it over
>for a while.

You need to get your eyes checked because the F150 hardly looks cheap compared to it's competition. The last couple weeks I drove a titan and silverado for a few days each. Not that they were on my short list, but it confirmed for me how bad they both sucked(literally sucked the gas as well). The Silverado suspension felt like driving an old boat, the titan had the worst blind spots I've ever experienced.

I drove the eco boost and loved it but i drove the f150 with just the 5.0 in it and loved it too money was the deciding factor i bought the 5.0 and i am getting 20-22 mpg and 560-630 miles to a tank it pulls great for what i pull and i dont have to worry about a turbo going out on me i pulled a 28 ft trailer from kanab ut to monroe mtn with a honda rubicon in the trailer and got aroun14 mpg till i hit the mtn then it went to 11

www.hightopoutfitters.com

Thank's for that info,next time I watch the news network I will take their info with a grain of salt.

The F150 has had an aluminum hood since 2004. I have a 2004 and didn't realize it was aluminum until I read that article last month.

I have a 2010 F150 quad cab with 17,000 miles on it that I'll sell you so I can pick up one with the Eco boost. I went and drove one and was pretty impressed with difference in power. I think you would like the Eco boost.

we get the ecoboost trucks in my work all the time. no doubt they are awesome trucks! i would go with the ecoboost over the hemi if i were you. that is saying a lot since i personally don't like fords.

I almost bought one, tested drove the Eco and the 5.0.
Finally the Dual Turbo, and 6 cylinders scared me away.
I went with the 5.0.
-been around forever
-tows just the same
-1-2 mpg worse.

I love the thing, it tows better than my Chevy 6.0

I drove the ecoboost and thought it was a great truck! plenty of power and real nice.

BUT

Dodge is coming out with an 8 speed transmission and a few other changes on their trucks and it's going to raise the bar. The Hemi will be in it's peak power and torque range in more gears and that helps economy and they're expecting highest in class fuel ratings. So I decided to wait to see how that truck stacks up. Dodge went all in on this truck and I think it may be something we'll like, with no disrespect to Ford.

No disrespect to Dodge but its still a Dodge :).

I drove both the ecoboost and the 5.0 and took the 5.0 home. I love my 5.0 it tows way better than my old 05, 5.4. Gets about 15% better mileage than my old truck and has way more power.

>I almost bought one, tested drove
>the Eco and the 5.0.
>
>Finally the Dual Turbo, and 6
>cylinders scared me away.
>I went with the 5.0.
>-been around forever
>-tows just the same
>-1-2 mpg worse.
>
>I love the thing, it tows
>better than my Chevy 6.0
>

The 5.0 just came out like 2 years ago lol...

2a0fcsk.gif

Man Tony, that's hitting below the belt! :^) LOL I remember having Broncos & trucks that had that engine in it decades ago. :^)

It always was a good engine and it still is now with the refinements. BUT IT NOT A HEMI with an 8 speed tranny!! :^)

My grandmother had a Dodge coupe with the button shifter that had a RED RAM HEMI in it!! That car ran like a striped azz ape!!

>Man Tony, that's hitting below the
>belt! :^) LOL I remember
>having Broncos & trucks that
>had that engine in it
>decades ago. :^)
>
> It always was a good
>engine and it still is
>now with the refinements. BUT
>IT NOT A HEMI with
>an 8 speed tranny!! :^)
>
>
>My grandmother had a Dodge coupe
>with the button shifter that
>had a RED RAM HEMI
>in it!! That car ran
>like a striped azz ape!!
>

The new 5.0 has absolutely nothing in common with the old 302, except that they both run on gasoline.

You can keep your Hemi, my next ride will be an EcoBoost ;-)

2a0fcsk.gif

"Man Tony, that's hitting below the belt! :^) LOL I remember having Broncos & trucks that had that engine in it decades ago. :^)

It always was a good engine and it still is now with the refinements. BUT IT NOT A HEMI with an 8 speed tranny!! :^)

My grandmother had a Dodge coupe with the button shifter that had a RED RAM HEMI in it!! That car ran like a striped azz ape!!"

Boskee
It's a "Hemi" in name only, pure marketing BS.

The Chrysler Hemi engine, known by the trademark Hemi, is a series of V8 engines built by Chrysler with a hemispherical combustion chamber. Three different types of Hemi V8 engines have been built by Chrysler for automobiles: the first (known as the Chrysler FirePower engine) from 1951?1958,[1] the second from 1964?1971, and the third beginning in 2003. Although Chrysler is most identified with the use of Hemi as marketing term, many other auto manufacturers have incorporated similar designs
The current-production "HEMI" engine heads are flatter and more complex than the 1950s?'70s Hemi V8 chamber. The chambers are no longer truly hemispherical. It uses a coil-on-plug distributorless ignition system and two spark plugs per cylinder to shorten flame travel leading to more consistent combustion which helps reduce emissions. Like most of Chrysler's past-model Hemi-head engines, the 5.7 version is rated at approximately one horsepower per cubic inch (But the current engines are SAE net, whereas the old Hemi engines were rated SAE gross.).

True, all manufacturers have made refinements to their engines to create marketing and improve their designs. Like Tony said the 5.0 today is hardly the same motor it was back then do to refinements which I eluded to. Why do you think FORD brought back the BOSS 302. Fact is they're all building reliable power plants but in that sophistication comes more labor to fix them when things go wrong. How readily available are parts for that new Ecoboost powerplant?

If you guys look at what I actually wrote and put the brand loyalty aside I think it's fairly accurate. I didn't say the ecoboost was a bad motor but then again neither is the hemi. But I do think a working man deserves to have a warranty as long as he's making payments on his truck and FORD chose not to do that. Most trucks today are financed 48-72 months and given the 60,000 mile limit most will be out of warranty before they're paid for.
I don't think I need to elaborate on the issues surrounding the 6.0 & 6.4 Diesels that were "tested" too and a lot of guys got stuck having issues with those and they had better warranty's.

I don't own a hemi currently but I rode in in a Charger that had the 8 speed ZF tranny & a 6cyl and it was a nice ride and gets decent mileage over 28 highway. So plunky old Dodge is stepping up their game and to imagine that tranny with a V-8 in a truck could be a very workable combination. I've owned 20 Fords in my life and loved every single one of them. I had a 99 Super Duty Power Stroke that ran great. But I bought a cummins in 04 and it has ran just fine, where as the Guys that bought the next generation SD Fords were having some issues. New powerplants though tested never really get tested until you give them to the public ( I don't what they do with them) than they find out what's wrong with them.

Did I say it was a nice truck, YES would I consider buying one yes, but If I was in the market I would look at the RAM too because it's probably going to be a nice truck and they usually come in at a lower price point, but the trucks with that 8speed tranny won't be out until around Dec. I was teasing Tony about the 5.0 only being out 2 years LOL remark because last I looked those 69-70 Boss 302 blocks are still worth gold to custom builders because they were built right and you can build a strong power plant on them using todays technology.

By the way that poor little old cummins I have will blow the doors off that ecoboost and it still get's 20+ miles to the gallon and will pull all day long. So Dodge must be doing something right. Like you pointed out very few motors today are the same as they were back then, because of technology so in effect we all win, yes it's BS but we both know it helps them sell vehicles and that what they're in business to do.

By the way have you ridden in a Challenger with the hemi and the supercharger kit..... it may be BS but that dog can hunt just like a Cobra!

Yes, a cummins will outrun an ecoboost, yes the hemi is a good engine. But, and its a big but, the rest of the truck that dodge sells you is a giant piece of flaming doo-doo. Overall build quality on the ford is hands down better than a ram.
2a0fcsk.gif

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-12 AT 03:04PM (MST)[p]I'm sure all those guys that had all those engine issues with those Fords were giving thanks to god they had those great suspensions when their trucks were in the shop and didn't run. They really sit nicely on the service lifts with that suspension and what a difference it makes when they raise and lower it on the lift. Come to think of it, don't you still have to take the cab off some of them to work on them even the new Scorpion? I'm sure that makes the repair bills lower. See I didn't berate the Ford, but then again Dodge figured out that pizzin in the tank didn't make them run any better a long time ago! Must be another one of Fords better ideas! So I guess the moral is don't pizz on the other guys brand when you may have to put it in the tank just to get down the road in your own! :^)

My bad I should have avoided you. I was trying to help the original poster with his question.

I just don't get all the fuss. The big 3 1/2 ton trucks are all within 1 or 2 miles per gallon of each other aren't they? Or really close to that. I don't think you can get a bad truck with any of them. Some uglier than others though. mtmuley

If FORD would build a V-8 Eco-Boost they'd have something!

Nothin sounds better than a V-8 Sportin Race-Magnum Glass Packs!

V-10's sound like Crap,sorry PUNK & Beavis,just being truthful,you don't believe me just throw some Glass Packs on a V-9!:D

It's a Power-Play from year to year with the Big 3!

An older Cummins Dialed in will Stomp Some Ass Power/Torque Wise & in Mileage!

When you get a Gas Engine that'll Sport 800-1,000 ft lbs of Torque let me know how much Fuel that Bittcch is burning?

50K for a PLATINUM Eco-Boost 1/2 Ton,JFP!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-12
>AT 03:04?PM (MST)

>
>I'm sure all those guys that
>had all those engine issues
>with those Fords were giving
>thanks to god they had
>those great suspensions when their
>trucks were in the shop
>and didn't run. They really
>sit nicely on the service
>lifts with that suspension and
>what a difference it makes
>when they raise and lower
>it on the lift. Come
>to think of it, don't
>you still have to take
>the cab off some of
>them to work on them
>even the new Scorpion? I'm
>sure that makes the repair
>bills lower. See I didn't
>berate the Ford, but then
>again Dodge figured out that
>pizzin in the tank didn't
>make them run any better
>a long time ago! Must
>be another one of Fords
>better ideas! So I guess
>the moral is don't pizz
>on the other guys brand
>when you may have to
>put it in the tank
>just to get down the
>road in your own! :^)
>
>
>My bad I should have avoided
>you. I was trying to
>help the original poster with
>his question.

Get over yourself man. Those fords with engine problems run jsut as good as the Dodges with their trannys falling out... We can do this all day. When a guy asks about a Ford, and you want to recommend him a Dodge, expect to take some crap for it. Especially when its a Dodge that doesn't exist (Hemi with an 8 speed tranny)....

2a0fcsk.gif

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-12 AT 08:20PM (MST)[p]It would appear that you need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills. He asked about both trucks and I told what Dodge was going to produce and when. It would appear that you may be a tad misinformed yourself. Look up the 2013 Rams and tell me that they're not going to build that truck. What's that a crow feather sticking out of your mouth. Oops apparently your not as informed as you want everyone to believe.

Here's the link to the truck they're not building, click on build and there's that hemi and 8 speed along the bottom.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2013/reveals/ram_1500/

Man Boskee, you are really into this! How much Dodge stock do you own/and or which dealership do you work at? You sound exactly like every car salesman I've ever dealt with lol...

2a0fcsk.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom