Anybody regret having a 300 WSM?

RidgeRebel

I am buying a new hunting rifle soon and am leaning toward a SAKO A7 or Tikka in 300 WSM. I like the round, but I am concerned about the high price brass. Anyway I was wanting thoughts from those that have them. Is the cost worth it over the regular 300 Win mag or say even a 30-06. I am not arguing magnum vs standard, just the benefits of the WSM.
Thanks

A friend of mine has a Tikka 300 win mag , its a nice light , accurate rifle but recoil is pretty stout . Its not horrible but not soft either . I would assume a 300 wsm would be similar . If you aren't recoil shy I say go for it , you wont be disappointed .

I WOULD BUY ANOTHER TIKKA IN THE .300 WSM IN A MINUTE !! GREAT COMBINATION THE TIKKA & .300 WSM........RECOIL NOT TOO BAD THAT I NOTICE IT. GREAT ON BIG HOGS & ELK....................YD.

OH......... & WHAT A PLEASURE TO CARRY AROUND FOR A WEEK OR SO, NOT TO MENTION VERY ACCURATE.................YD.

Hey Dl,

Who did your brake?

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

I love my 300 wsm, can hunt anything I want with it in NA, yes a little over kill for pronghorn but it will do. Mine is in a x-bolt though, doesn't kick much at all.
My friend bought one in a sako (I think) shot it one time and it kicks considerably more, only shot it once and won't shoot it again.
I don't reload and buy the federal premium 165 trophy bonded tips, they got up to around $53/box. They are now down to $42/box. I am obviously willing to pay the higher price but really love my gun/caliber and would buy it again.

Plus I don't see the 300wsm, disappearing like the other wsm rounds that flooded the market when the short actions first came out a few years ago.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

I would also have to vote for the Tikka. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 300wsm shoots 1/2" groups with the berger 185gr hunting VLD at 3000fps. It is topped with a Vortex 6.5 x 20 x 50. I did replace the stock with a bell and Carlson ( as the factory stock has an aluminum recoil lug that will bend) also bedded the action and set the trigger at 2.5lbs. Awesome gun.

I like my Tikka 300 wsm. I put a manners stock and a bushnell DMR on it and it flat out shoots. The action on my is the smoothest I have felt. I have been given 500 or so brass from different people so it has been pretty cheap for me to shoot.

Go with the A7. Just a little more expensive than the Tikka but you will love the feel of the A7 better. BTW my A7 is a 7mag and I love it!!

I have had my .300 WSM Browning A-bolt, Stainless Steel Stalker, for 9 years now and I love it. I have a safe full of rifles, but it is my "Go To" rifle.

Love my 300WSM. I've taken three animals with it so far and all were one-shot kills. My older brother also has one and loves it. With a good pad on it, the recoil isn't that bad.

We have 3 300 wsm rifles.
tikka t3, winchester m70, browning x bolt.
The kick is not that bad.
it is a great caliber.
I prefer the tikka over all of them, it is a tack driver.

.....there is no benefit with a WSM...

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
- H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Well!

There's GAWD-DAMNED Sure a Benefit to somebody at 45.00+ a Box!

Actually a Hard Hitting decent Shooting Gun!

Most WSM's are made for people that Like Short Strokes!

>.....there is no benefit with a
>WSM...
>
>"As democracy is perfected, the office
>of the President represents, more
>and more closely, the inner
>soul of the people.
>On some great and glorious
>day, the plain folks of
>the land will reach their
>heart's desire at last and
>the White House will be
>occupied by a downright fool
>and complete narcissistic moron."
>- H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore
>Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
>

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Been using one for years. Less recoil than the .300 Win Mag. For reloading it uses less powder. I use Reloder 17 in mine and get higher velocity than a.300 Win Mag. Mine is a Howa barreled action with an Accurate Innovations laminated stock. I would love to have on in the A7 Sako.

mh

I have a 300wsm howa action hogue stock Christensen carbon fiber barrel light weight accuracy is awesome no brake but recoil is no problem .

I had a Tikka Lite in 300 WSM and I regretted buying it. I put a new Simms recoil pad on it before I ever shot it and it kicked like a mule. The gun was light and the plastic stock seemed cheap. I traded it for a Remington Model 700 XCR in the same caliber which I like. The difference in recoil in the two guns is night and day.

There probably isn't much advantage of a 300WSM over a 300 Win Mag and some people would say there isn't any. But you should get about the same muzzle energy with a little less powder and recoil.

I don't know if the short action is an advantage or not but some of them don't have a short action. The Tikka I had didn't have but the Remington does.

Don't have a 300 WSM but regretting my 300 Weatherby each time I have been paying $90 for 20 bullets. Been saving my brass lately.
Sneekey

I've had my Weatherby 300 WSM for 8 years taken it to Africa 3x 34 different African animals the only thing that took more than a few steps was an eland. I've also shot 2 elk 11 deer and several antelope with it. It is over kill for antelope and deer but I shoot it well and I like the less recoil than my 300 so I kept the WSM because of less recoil. I know I'm kind of a wimp on recoil but I shoot better when not thinking about getting smacked. It shoots .53 according to the accuracy sheet they send from the factory I can get close to that with a lead sled but probably not that good.

I bought my 300 Weatherby for my once in a lifetime NM oryx. Figured why not get a new rifle now that I have excuse. My dad used it for his oryx hunt also. Neither of us were bothered by the recoil but bullet price kicked my ace. My son is going to use it on his Barbary hunt in February.

Sneekey

I had a browning A- bolt in 300 wsm and loved it, that is until I pulled a dunce move and blew the barrel end off. I changed it to a 243 wsm and love that even more for less recoil. I bought a Tikka T3 lite in 300 wsm and love it also. I do like the short action on the browning better than the Tikka but both 300's kicked like a mule while sighting it in. Once out hunting I don't even notice. I would recommend one in a heartbeat but would put an after market pad and muzzle break on it. Then they are fine.

I have owened 300WSM in a stainless Browning A-Bolt for 10 years now. It has performed very well for me. I reload and shoot 168 grain bullets which tempers the kick. And as mentioned above, that is only an issue on the range (unless of course you get scared of it and start to jerk!)
As all around guns go, I don't think you can beat it, given the versatility of the round. I would not be afraid to use it on bears or moose.
What I like most is the short action allows for a lighter gun, and while that adds to recoil, it decreases packing weight. That is a big issue for me as I get older.
I love mine!

I have a 300WSM in an abolt and I like it - ALOT. Good all around gun that shoots great and recoil is manageable. I'm no fan of recoil either and it doesn't bother me a bit.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the caliber to anyone wanting a versatile round for big game hunting.

I had two but now I only have one.
How the Hell did I let my son-in-law talk me out of my custom 300WSM?
Oh well, I'll have to build another.
Zeke
PS: great cartridge but it really not "better" than lots of them out there.
Great hype sucked me in and reliable performance has kept me shooting the family of WSM cartridges. I'd say they're here to stay!

Never regretted having a 300 WSM but I sure did regret having a it in a Kimber Montana.

I shoot a 300 RUM, my boy shoots the 300 wsm Tikka. I am starting to like his gun more then mine. The Tikka and the 300 wsm is a sweet combo. Light gun, tack driver, and extremely accurate, right out of the box. Buy one, you won't be disappointed, and if you are let me know, I will buy it from you for my wife to shoot.

I have a mod 70 in 300 WSM that I've had Texas Hill Country rifle, bed, lap, etc etc and put a custom carbon fiber stock on, dipped in natural gear camo...sweet gun. Killed an oryx, some deer, an antelope, and an elk who didn't like the one shot kills. I shoot 180 accubonds and it groups better than I can shoot.

Nope love mine. It is a Winchester extreme weather rifle. Light and a great bad weather rifle. Love the short action. No short stocking it like I did once with my 300 RUM. Sighted in and shot several game animals with it. Really only shot around three boxes in five hears so cost has not been a problem. It is my yearly bear gun and serves me well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom