Anybody shoot a 257 Wby?

Chesterwyo

Very Active Member
do any of you out there own a 257 weatherby? If so how do you like it? I'm trying to decide if I want to get one or not and was just wondering if anybody could give me some insight on the caliber.

CHESTER

Chester;
I waited to see if someone who shoots the 257 Weatherby would answer you since I do not use that caliber, but have used a 25-06 for the past 20 years. As for the 25-06, it has proven to me to be one hell of good deer-antelope rifle. I have taken approx. 27-30 deer and speedgoats with the rifle and all have been a one shot deal except for 2 animals that I placed the shot alittle behind the lungs on running shots. The range ran from 50 yards to approx 8 animals that were between 400-550 yards. I only use a 117-120 grain bullet, mostly Sierra Game Kings or Nosler Partition. the 25-06 has a very excellant rep. for accuracy. The 257 is a souped up 25-06 and is noted for being very flat shooting. It should be a very light kicker compared to the other Weatherby calibers and if you want it for deer-antelope size animals, it should be excellant. It would also be useful as a long range coyote caliber. Some people so use it for elk, but it is on the light side for elk. If you do use it for elk, use Nosler Partitions.
RELH

Thanks for the reply I ended up getting the 257 wby. I thought about getting a 25.06 but the weatherby came along at a great price so I grabbed it while I could. I'm excited to start tinkering with it working up loads. I plan on puting a 4x12 leupold on it and some talley rings and bases. Should be a pretty sweet set up. Thanks again for the reply for some reason not very many people reply to my posts on here. Does anybody have any load suggestions for the 257?

CHESTER

Chester,

I've got a hunting partner that shoots a 257 wby and loves it. He had a horrible time coming up with an accurate load but finally did. When he'll answer his damn phone I'll get the load from him and post it.

JB

Chester;
Ken Waters in his book of "Pet Loads" list the following loads as being very accurate in their 257 Weatherby rifle.

1. 67 grains IMR-4831, 100 gr. Speer SP. 3436 FPS OAL-3.18

2. 65 grains IMR-4831, 100 gr. Sierra SP,3187 FPS OAL-3.20

3. 66 grains H-450, 117 gr. Sierra flat base, 3137 FPS OAL-3.20

4. 64.5 gr. H-4831, 117 gr. Nosler Part. 3140 FPS, OAL-3.20

It seems that IMR-4831 is a good powder to start with. The load with 67 grains of IMR-4831 was a near Max load in their test rifle. You may want to start 10% lower and work up. Hope this helps you.
RELH

I didn't know they were making a .257 caliber accubond. I know they have the partition and the ballistic tip in 100 grain weight.

Chester,

Sorry I'm so long in getting to this thread but I have not been a member of this forum before. My father-in-law told me about this thread and said I should reply since I have a .257 Weatherby. I do most of my posting over at the AR site, but this will be nice as well.

As far as how I feel about the .257 Weatherby...I am about to wrap mine around a tree. However, I think I have a lemon of a barrel on mine and will be looking into options with Weatherby on what to do about that.

When it shoots well I love it, but I have found with my rifle I have to be religious about cleaning it, and even with that I can't keep the fouling under control...like I said I think there is a problem with the barrel on this one.

As far as loads go...the old disclaimer applies that this load works in my gun but may not in yours.

I use:

Weatherby Brass, Trimmed to minimum case length
Federal 215M primers
71.0 Grains of IMR 7828
Combined Technology 115 grain Ballistic Silvertip
Seated as long as the magazine will allow

Load will shoot sub m.o.a. when the barrel is clean.

Averages over the chronograph right at 3400 fps (which matches Weatherby factory ammo).

Good luck and good shooting,

300Winnie

Winnie, you're probly right about no .25 100grn accubond. I need to get my ears cleaned, it was interlock not accubond

JB

According to Weatherby's company literature, the .257 Weatherby Magnum was Mr. Weatherby's favorite caliber of all of his proprietary wildcat calibers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom