Anybody shoot a 7mm stw?

bonedaddy

I'm looking at buying a Remington 700 7mm stw. I was wondering if anybody here owns or has shot any of the newer ones? I found a couple new in the box for about 550 bucks and thought that seemed pretty cheap. Just wondering if they are junk or not. Most of the older ones I can find are considerably more expensive. I'm not really in a spot in life to have a several thousand dollar custom gun made right now. I would be happy with new or used but they seem to be kind of hard to come by. Any input would be great. Thanks a lot

I spent a little more and got the Sendero. With my reloads I have no problem with 500 yards. I have to do some calculating when I go farther though. So far I have shot 3 elk at 50 yards and a coyote at 250. It's still fun shooting long range. Any gun will work well, you just have to put in some time and money to get them to shoot straight.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

I have one, though it isn't exactly. I have 7RM's and was always skeptical of the STW, but have been pleasantly surprised with the advantage and manageable recoil. I get 250fps more on the 168 grain bullets over my RM.

BUT, unless you reload, and unless you already have ammo, pass on that deal. If you are only looking to 500 yards or so, many guns/loads are more capable than most shooters. If you can find 100 pieces of brass though, then go for it.

The STW is pretty common these days. Go for it. There is lots of load info, and brass is readily available. Sounds like a good price on the rifles, buy em both. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-13 AT 07:40PM (MST)[p]Rem 700 7stw sps is a pos, I Have one. Get a sendero if you can find one or build one. You can buy nosler 7stw loads off their factory store shelves. Mine is starting to come around after a barrel replacement and about 300 rounds down the new one. Other than the Remington part, I love it. I have a Brux sitting in the safe that will go with action truing this coming winter.
THe factory chamber tends to stretch out the cases in front of the belt too. Two reloads max.

Longrangehuntingmag forum has a 7stw specific sub forum. Tons of info

I built a 7STW back when it was a wildcat. Re chambered a Browning 1885 high wall. With the 28" barrel it was a lot of fun to tinker with, (and shoot elk).
Everything the 7MM Mag does it will do a little better.....except recoil and ammo cost.

I shoot one for years. IMHO its one of the best calibers out there. Ballistically its amazing, flat and hard hitting. If you reload, you have a lot of bullet options as well. If not, buying factory ammo is easy from larger stores.

I sold mine for a number of reasons though: Reloading brass too difficult to find. Most manufactures of the brass have now gone seasonal with the STW. I HATED the 26" barrel. I loved the caliber, but was not in love with the actual rifle.
I also have wanted a custom rifle for years, and by selling the STW, it put the dream with in reach.

It was actually a tough thing to rid myself of it, I love the caliber. Someday I hope to have another.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom