Anyone been to the Dominican Rep?

tx_packmule

I have a couple of weeks to try to throw a vacation together and was wondering if anyone had been and had any first-hand likes or dislikes with resorts?

I'm actually looking not far from there at Sanctuary Cap Cana bc of that resort being adults only and still have access to Fishing Lodge to be able to book fishing trips cheaper.

I have been to Punta Cana once. I can't help you with specific resorts, because I can't remember the name of the resort. But would feel comfortable in saying that the resorts along the beach were all pretty nice.

We usually pick mid priced resorts, but I think we were at the low end this time and it was great. You are usually pretty safe when you bool through a group like travelzoo.

If you plan to travel away from the resort area, I would make sure you hired your taxi at your resort, not out on the street. It will cost you more but you have a better chance of getting back to the the resort.

Armed guards are everywhere. At one of the hotels out in the country they put down their weapons to take our luggage inside.

Very few vendors on the beach. The beaches were wonderful.

We did spend some time away from the resorts out in the country, and other than driving felt very comfortable. There were no obvious traffic rules, other than using the horn at all cost. It was not uncommon to see four and five people on a motorcycle.

The airport was very small and customs seemed to take forever.

The luggage porters were very aggresive and I had to get forceful with them when they tried to pull bags out of my wifes hand.

I left a book on the plane and never thought I would see it again, but it was waiting for me when we returned.

The food was a little strange because no matter what you ordered, be it a steak or soup, it was seasoned with the same spice. Everything tasted the same but it was good. The fruit was outstanding.

It was a great place to visit. I would say that it was a little more of an adventure than other areas in the caribiean and south america that I have traveled but very relaxing and fun.

Thanks Ya'll.

That's good info to know. It looks like we are going to book, I was just kind of concerned of it being like Mexico since the travel sites were pushing Mexican & Dominican resorts a lot harder than they were other places. We're pretty mch just looking for a fun relaxing vacation somewhere we haven't been yet; that has good fishing (which my wife could care less about, but she's going to go regardless, catch bigger fish than me and enjoy it....like always)

Just got back and loved it, we spent 3 days in Santo Domingo looking at history stuff could of been done in two days. Spent 3 days in Punta Canta and loved every minute of it. Took a bus ride in between the two and it wasnt bad. Saw a lot of country and it was a grey hound bus for $17. Had a four star hotel in Santo for $80. Stayed at a all inclusive on the beach. Where you flying in to?

$350 from SLC is a good deal.. Ours is getting set up by our TA, but we're going to pay a little more to not have to deal with Miami. Flying into Punta Cana; United.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom