anyone ever hunt unit 76 elk first rifle

ToddT

It seems year I am kicking this around, what to do. Well I have 12 points and seem to be about in the same position I was 5 years ago - nowhere. For that reason I am more seriously looking at 76 first rifle, probably not early rifle or muzzleloader because most likely I won't have enough points. And not archery because after waiting 12 frickin years I don't want a goof up to stand in my way of success. But I have heard conflicting thoughts on unit 76 first rifle - which is the only 76 rifle I would even consider. Success rates are near 60 percent which is exceptional, but for some reason, most who are familiar with the area say that the first rifle hunt is a mere shadow of what the place is in the archery and muzzleloader seasons.

I have also considered unit 66 - which I have enough points for muzzleloader, but I have had several tell me that the 66 hunt isn't near what the 76 hunt is. Plus once I draw somewhere else I could check out 66 with a couple points for archery - so why waste 12. Also, the success rate is only about 30 percent which appears to be a high average of most units.

So here I am again, wondering what to do. Will it be this year, should I go for a lesser unit, I did consider 49 - I have heard they have some great bulls and first rifle has atleast 50 percent success, but I really don't want to spend - atleast that is the way I look at it, spending - 12 points for a 5 point area. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. I see no end in sight for the better units and unit 2 and 201 aren't even on my radar anymore, so I feel stuck, too far in to give up and too far out to feel good about where I am at.

If you are a resident with 12 points, you can draw 76 muzzy, and 61 early rifle. Next year you should draw 61 muzzy. Both would be better options than 66. 49 muzzy would be a better hunt that 1st rifle but you have too many points to burn for that. I am dumping my points this year as well, considering some of the same options as you. Good luck with your decision.

>I see no end in
>sight for the better units
>and unit 2 and 201
>aren't even on my radar
>anymore, so I feel stuck,
>too far in to give
>up and too far out
>to feel good about where
>I am at.

Go read my Nightmare on points street thread below and welcome to the ''poor saps club'' ... Join all 500 of us after that one beautiful blonde...Sorry , just had to throw that in.. Good luck in the draw buddy. lol

Have a bunch of NR points (15) I'm looking at the same thing with the same results . I'm hopeful that the US economy will be the difference good luck everyone

I have 11 points and was wanting to hunt unit 76 hopefully with a muzzloader but that doesn't look possible. How is the archery hunt in 76 or possibly the 1st rifle? I realy want to hunt during bugling season. Are the bulls bugling much during first rifle season?

I have been told that archery/muzzleloader season is like night and day to the first rifle season - whereas the earlier seasons have more vocal and visible elk. If you want a show and a really neat elk hunt, I would go with the archery season. I plan on choosing the first rifle, because after waiting 13 years I want more to show for my efforts than just a show - if I simply want a show I can visit unit 61 in the archery season with the camera. BUT, I am considering the archery season because I have killed two 300 plus elk, none with the bow, and I don't foresee killing a bigger elk than what I already have with any season.

The total hunting experience is what I am after. I have hunted with a bow several times and just love being in the mountains at that time of the year. I should add I am a non resident so my 11 points leaves me with not a lot of options. at first I was determined I would hunt them with a muzzloader but that doesn't look like it will be possible anytime soon. I have been in unit 76 some before but never during September can anyone tell me what to expect and where I might concentrate my efforts? I have all kind of maps of the area.

I would say bite the bullet and apply for the 1st season and get it over with. My dad has 13 points and he is still probally 4-5 years or more from the muzzy tag. I tell him every year he's not getting any closer because there are always guys jumping in with 15,16 points. The 1st season is still a dang good tag to have!

Dude---I have 17 for elk and I feel almost worse than you do..I do not think by looking at all the data that I compiled that I will get there either..there are,or is,only 1 tag each for the NW regions available and it will take maybe 20 or more and more as years go by...What?Anyway there are good ones available it is just that you have to bite the bullet and do what you think is best for you.good luck to you and good luck to me!!could be worse,as you are in a pretty good position....JAC

Has anyone ever hunting in the 2nd or 3rd rifle seasons in 76? Seems like the early rifle season and primitive weapons get most of the attention.

I am in nearly the exact same dilemma. I've posted my post from another forum below to add to the discussion/confusion:

My father and I both have 11(+) non-resident CO elk points. We have hunted off and on for the past 12 years with OTC tags exclusively in the archery and muzzy seasons. All of our experience has been in DIY in unit 65 with exception of one year where we hunted in White River NF. We have had very good success with both cows and bulls and have taken only one tag home during that time.

My father has expressed an interest in using his points while his health is still good on a hunt where the chances of a good bull are higher. He is 72 but in excellent condition. I am considering a semi-guided hunt for the two of us in unit 76 rifle ( probably second rifle season so we can hunt Muley as well) either this year or next. We both have an interest in a pack- in tent camp rifle elk hunt experience.

Based on my research we would have high likely-hood of drawing in 76.Some of the questions I have been mulling over include:

1. Is 76 our best choice for a good chance at a decent Bull(s) given our point totals?

2. How will our relative success and comfort in hunting in September translate to second rifle season? We are both comfortable with calling and have pulled in numerous bulls but recognize that calling success will be limited during rifle season but we also have had some success in still hunting.

3. We both enjoy the autonomy that a DIY hunt provides but worry that given our lack of experience in the unit, lack of access to horses, and desire to make the burning of our PPs worth it we are considering going with a guided hunt (2:1 is what I am thinking). Should we reconsider a drop camp or trespass hunt ( assuming such a beast is available in 76.

4. Any advice on outfitters/guides?

5. any other pointers?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Like every one else here im in tweener land, to many points to waste on 4 and 5 point units and not enuff to get top units like 76,61and 2,201.lol me and my brother both have 10 points and want to muzzy hunt this year! we gave in and put in for unit 67 muzzy. Hoping we draw and see some elk!

If i were you i would look into one of the unit 61 later rifle seasons. Ive heard great things about 61!

I have 14 points and will be applying first time for unit 76 muzzleloader, but don't expect to draw. That is the point pool the tags went to last year and there are a lot of guys there with more giving up on 2, 201 & 10 and jumping in every year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom