Anyone go dove huntin' ths weekend?

THE SHOOTING WAS TORRID WHERE I SHOOT IN THE CENTRAL VALLEY, GOING OUT AGAIN WEDNESDAY. HARD TO KEEP SHELLS IN YOUR GUN........HAD A BLAST............................YD.

Paul I have not hunted doves since I moved from central CA. to northern CA. many moons ago. Up here it is pheasants and wild pigeons.

RELH

OK, I finally get to hunt this afternoon. Was on a trailer trip. I hope my friends were wrong about it only being so, so. I'll let you know tomorrow. pc

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-12 AT 01:09PM (MST)[p]I hunted by Calexico in the Imperial Valley and I cannot believe the concentration of birds. Every person I talked to had the same thing to say "easy limits" and the shooting was fantastic to say the least. I was talking with a guy at my hotel that has hunted in the Calexico area for the past 44 years and he said this year was very similar to when he hunted this area in the '60s. In all of my years of dove hunting I have never seen that many birds in one area in California. As a bonus I was able to kill 9 eurasain collered dove opening morning in addition to the morning dove but oddly this year I never saw a single whitewing. In years past I have been able to shoot limits of whitewings but not a single one this time. It reminded me of some of our dove hunts when we used to hunt in Mexico. It was a blast and I cannot wait until next year.

Jim

"Our house is protected by the good lord and a gun, You'll meet both of them if you show up uninvited."

Jim, I wish I'd have been able to go with you. I made a ton of "brownie" points taking my wife on the short trailer trip, though. Next year!!!! Paul

Hope you can make it next year and if you do bring friends. I have a couple of spots that could accommodate several hunters, actually the more the better. There are so damn many dove it's crazy.

Jim

p.s.

Plenty of beer is mandatory.. it's hot. Opening day in the afternoon it was 112 however if you keep well irrigated you will get by just fine.

>Jim, I wish I'd have been
>able to go with you.
>I made a ton of
>"brownie" points taking my wife
>on the short trailer trip,
>though. Next year!!!!
>Paul

"Our house is protected by the good lord and a gun, You'll meet both of them if you show up uninvited."

D13er and 1911 have been dove hunting since opening day and so far I haven't received a single photo of a dead dove. Seems like alot of old crow and wild turkey have been killed.

2311idiot.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-12 AT 04:12PM (MST)[p]>D13er and 1911 have been dove
>hunting since opening day and
>so far I haven't received
>a single photo of a
>dead dove. Seems like alot
>of old crow and wild
>turkey have been killed.
>

It's true Ransom... I have found that the more Old Crow and Wild Turkey that got killed the amount of shells spent increased several times over while the amount dove killed dropped drastically. Same thing happens with large amounts of beer according to our resident beer authority, won't mention any names but his intials are Paul Crawford.

Rush Fire, 315,000.+ acres

My Dove hunting spot got a tad crispy this year. :)

I don't envy you southern part of the State guys, not a bit, but it sure would be nice to get a few good shoots in and that's a great place to do it. I always loved a good dove hunt!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

My son and I went out opening morning, but only shot 13 between us. Should have limited, but my niece was with us and we let most birds go so she could shoot. She got a few.

My son went out tonight and shot 9, so I think I may go out tomorrow. Time will tell.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom