anyone see any deer in GMU 37 for the second rifle hunt?

Trad Bow 1979

I hunted the second rifle hunt in 37 recently near Ancho and Jacks Peak. I was dissapointed at how few of deer anyone was seeing. It seemed like there were more elk seen than deer. I think for the whole hunt I heard two shots, never saw a deer hanging in anyones camp. I found it was hard to hunt because there are so many roads in that area. It is hard to find a good spot when you have road hunters in every direction.I also talked to some people that hunted down by Capitan and said they saw nothing. I find it hard to believe that Game and Fish would issue 600 tags unless there was a healthy population. Or was I and about 200 people in the wrong part of 37? I am interested in any opinions you all may have. Personally, ill never hunt there again just because of all of the road hunters.

i hunted the first rifle hunt. we hunted the wilderness on top of the capitans, we hunted lower around lincoln, and every where in between. finally got permission to go on a private ranch in Arabela, and filled 2 of 3 tags. it was definatley discouraging seeing only 3 does the first day and a half. saw one little bucks and 5 does in about 4 days. i believe the elk have pushed alot of the deer out. every where we hunted was covered in elk and sign. also saw lots of coyotes and a couple lions. i think predators and the elk have killed the hunting in 37

Search my thread (trail cam pics) from back at the end of August. Those were unit 37 bucks.

those are somenice bucks. i was seeing deer everywhere in august and september. i had located some really nice bucks at the end of september. i think after the elk and deer muzzy hunt they got pushed into the private land. i had found the most deer on the north end of the capitans, but it was loaded with hunters so we went to plan b and hunted the top. usually we have no problems filling our tags in 37 but it was tougher this year. my friends killed a big buck 180 class for the muzzy hunt. hopefully next year will be better

I also noticed that a lot of the tanks on the National Forest were dry as a bone. The West, South, and Hoecradle tanks near Jacks Peak were dry. I have no doubt that there are some nice bucks in that area, as few and far between it is to find them. But I really want to know is How does Game and Fish determine to issue out 2 rifle hunts with 600 tags a piece. Do they really think that there is a large population of deer in that GMU, or do they sell that many because its more money for the state? Heck, when I go elk hunting in GMU 51 I always see a couple of deer, yet they only issue 100 deer tags for 1 rifle hunt. Every time I go fishing in GMU 6A I see a few deer and again, only about 100 tags. How does Game and Fish determine the tag quotas?

I was in 37 during the muzzy hunt and noticed the herd head count was down from last year. I don't know if it's due to disease or drought. But there was definately a noticeable difference.

Just got back from 37 for the late archery elk hunt. Saw a ton of deer track just about everywhere. On the second day my buddy glassed up 5 does and one decent buck about 1500 yds away. After 10 minutes they disappeared into the thick. Later that day we ran into about 5 does in some dense PJ. It seems the deer are there, just difficult to see/find. Thats some of thickest country Ive ever hunted in, and difficult to quietly stalk in too given the oak understory.

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom