anyone shoot a 257

muzz

Long Time Member
Im lookin at building a good flat shooting deer rifle. avent made up my mind yet. Is the 257 and a 120 grain bullet enough for deer out to 600 yrds. or further? I like the 6.5's a lot and have a couple of them in mind as a build also. Lets hear what you got to say.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

A 257 weatherby mag might qualify for what you are looking to do. A standard 257 is not a 600 yard weapon imo.

I was just looking at barrels before I came to this sight. I have been thinking of building a rifle myself, have been looking at ballistics for the 280AI, really like the BC on those long skinny 160 sierra's and the Hornady stuff. I never have owned a 257, a friend of mine has the Roberts "improved". I know its death on speed goats out to 400. Good luck

I grew up with a guy that shot a 257 Roberts. It was flat shooting out to 400yds and was ok for smaller game like Lopes or Blacktail deer . He lost a few mulies in NV. Biggest issue was when he hit a bone the bullets would blow up and he would ruin almost all the meat on a deer. I remember once he hit a deer twice once straight away and another broadside front shoulder. After field dressing and trimming he had one shoulder, the spine and ribs and one hind quarter. The rest was useless and ruined.

))))------->

I Have two 257 Wby mags. A Mark V and the Accumark. I have my Accumark set up currently shooting accuratly out to 700+ yards. Never tried it out on an animal at that distance other than rockchucks so far. That being said A good friend of mine shoots a 6.5x284 cooper rifle and has shot deer and elk as far out as 855 yards with his rifle and it seems to do its job very well even at that distance. The furthest I have had to shoot mine at a deer was just under 400 it did just fine.

6.5x284 norma is my favorite of the guns I own. Paired with 140 grain berger VLDS its a deadly weapon. I have a 6.5 creedmoor also that is shooting machine.

Coloradoboy

257 weatherby is what I was meaning. I have a 280 now and like it just want something new.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Muzz the 257 weatherby will cleanly take deer out to 600 yards if you do your part and put the bullet into the vital zone.
I have used it's smaller brother, 25-06 Rem. for over 25 years as my main deer and antelope rifle. I have made about 6-7 one shot kills from 400-600 yards with that rifle on Wyoming mule deer and antelopes.
My favorite bullet was in the 117-120 gr. range Sierra game king or Nolser Partition. I always planted the bullet in the lung-heart area as I do not like wasting the meat on a shoulder shot.

RELH

I have a German Mk V 257 and I love it even though it won't handle 120 gr bullets. but in my opinion the 264 win and 270 WBY are much better long range deer guns. 120 gr just isn't much at long distance or in the wind.

Stay thirsty my friends

Probably my favorite rifle, (which coincidentally is also the one I feel the most confident with), is an old Sako action on a medium heavy 26" barrel in 257 Weatherby. Out to 450 yds Barnes 100 gr TTSX's have been excellent. If I was shooting much past that I might try 120's, mainly for wind issues.

I love my .257 weatherby. It is a deer killing machine. I killed a decent buck 2 years ago at 560. With a good rest, a max load of IMR 7828 SSC and 110 accubonds...its a great shooter. I even killed a large bull elk with this rifle (120 grn barnes TSX) a few years ago. I now have semi-custom 300 wsm for larger animals but my .257 will always be my favorite rilfe.

I love mine! I've used it on several big Bucks, Antelope, and even Elk. They are all dead. Mine is the old Weatherby SBGM they don't make anymore, topped with a Grey Bull.

2a0fcsk.gif

I have the 257 roberts. Killed three deer with it. I hit the first at 600 yards, it just slowed it down so I could run up to it and finish it off. The second was a perfect shot at 300 yards. And the last was 200 yards. I shot one elk with it. Shot her at 50 yards 8 times. Not a good gun for elk. I just use it for rabbits now that I have my 7mm RUM.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

I have killed several deer and antlope with a 257 weatherby. I had mine built around a model 700 action. The gun is more than capable of taking deer sized game at 600 yds if you do your part.

I had a fancy wood stocked Mark 5 .257 Weatherby Magnum for awhile there and a couple things, i couldn't keep it shooting as well as i wanted, it had considerable more muzzle blast than the 25-06 i was used to, and it was kinda heavy to pack around. She sure was pretty though...

I went back to the 25-06 and never regretted it.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I've used a .257 roberts to kill lots of deer and antelope. It is NOT a 600 yard cartridge, however. Of course it will kill if placed properly - so will a 22LR. Even in the supermagnums, a 257 bullet will loose a lot of energy at 600 yards. If you really want to shoot that far, you should be using heavier bullets, or limiting yourself to speedgoats and small whitetails.

Once again, it can work, but why handicap yourself? There are so many better calibers for the long range game. Trying to make a 257 a long range cartridge is not a winning hand.
Bill

I've got a 257 Wby and it's got a bunch of DRT 1 shot kills. 420 yds is as far as I've stretched it as I'm not a 600 yard shooter. It's lethal on speed goats and deer with the 110 gr accubonds.

Probably my favorite gun to shoot. Maybe not the ideal weapon for 700yds + with those light bullets. Just my opinion though.

I have two 257 Roberts. Have killed mule deer and whitetails. All one shot but nothing past 225 yards. I also have a 25-06 and have shot mule deer and several antelope with it. I let my brother use it on an antelope last fall. 532 yards but there was no wind....rare for Wyoming. ....dead. I will also say I feel that is getting close to the limit. The ability to shoot a tad heavier bullet would be nice once past 500 yards.

I have a .257 Weatherby Mag, and I love that gun. It is sweet shooting. The furthest deer I have killed was 375 yards, but it done a hell of a job on it. My daughter killed her LE elk with it and it performed well. I have enough guns that I can shoot about any caliber I want, but I prefer to shoot that gun over any I have.

257wby

i had a 257 wby vanguard i didnt like it much the barrels got hot quick i felt like it lost accuracy after a 5 shots maybe it was just cause it was a vanguard lol i dont know i know have a 6.5-284 norma

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom