Anyone shot this bullet?

SneakAttack

Very Active Member
I've been shooting hand cast solid lead .451" diameter bullets through my 45 cal Omega for a few years now. They require a thin patch after sizing and lubing.

Have any of you muzzy pros shot the bullet linked below through a 45 cal? My hand cast lead bullets average 510 grains. Yeah, I know, float like a butterfly, slam like a freight train. I'm wondering if the cooper clad 500 grainer are an option?

Any thoughts? Will an extra .007" in diameter make them a no go?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hornady-reg-Caliber-Diameter-Rifle-Bullets/731808.uts

Them are a centerfire Rifle Slug Aren't They?

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

That bullet is .458 so I am assuming that if they were using them in a ML it was a 50 with a sabot. To be honest they build those bullets to withstand the pressure of the 458 mag and 460 weatherby. I am sure they would poke a hole right through if they work with the right sabot.
Now if you want to go sabot less and you don't want lead build up of a conical why don't you use paper patched bullets. I shoot a RCBS 11mm rifle bullet paper patched and sized to fit the gun. I shoot these out to 300 yards.

RCBS11mm405gr446.jpg

I like that setup you posted Ron. It's looks very similar to what I've been shooting. I'm not so much bothered by the build up in the barrel, just want a break from casting.

They do punch a home for sure. The last buck I killed with that 510 grain slab, buckled in his tracks. He ran 20 yards and piled up.

The problem with greased bullets is they leave lead after every shot. after a few shots now the groups open up because of the lead build up. It gets worse with each shot until it is removed.
With paper that is gone.

Riddle me this...after sizing my conical cast bullets to .451", they are just a wee bit undersized in my Omega 45 cal. So I patch them with a thin patch. Would the .458" diameter bullet take away the need for any patch? Or would it be too large to load?

It is going to be WAY too big. I have a .451 and I have a 1-18 twist .458 I can tell you for a fact that those are not going to work. They are not going to go down in my opinion. But the one way to see is buy a box and give them a try.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-15 AT 09:47PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-15 AT 09:47?PM (MST)

That's what Caitlyn Jenner said? ;)

>I tried a .452"....no go amigos!
>

You better try some .458's!:D

(((RAZZIN Ya!:D)))

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

Got some on the way Bessy! I think I'll try running the .452"'s through a sizer....just for heck of if. If nothing else, I'll go back to the 510 grainers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom