Anything stolen from camp this year?

M

MortgageMan

We had some gas cans stolen on the Muzzy hunt. We had to make sure camp was put away before each hunt on the rifle. It's a sad day when you gotta hide your coolers and lanterns from other hunters. Anyone else have similar problems this year?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-08 AT 08:50PM (MST)[p]no problems yet, but i have never been the trusting type. always put away most valuble stuff, chain and lock the generator to the trailer, things like that.

so if you ever see a trailer going down the road with a generator bouncing along behind it, report it! its being stolen!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-08 AT 09:01PM (MST)[p]1 tub of butter, 2 atomic hot links that were BBQ extras I was going to save for lunch next day that I left out while chatting over at next camp along with two french rolls and corn in pot was missing ...licked clean and on the ground!!!
I think it was next camps dog...hope he still crapping lava!
rm

What is the deal with people and stealing from people while there out camping and enjoying nature. I had my cooler stole right out of the back of my truck. Lucky for them all they got was some bottle water, apples, and some baby food. Next time maybe they will look inside before they still another one. My guess is it was some high school kids looking for beer. You can't go anywhere now days without worrying about something walking off.

Had a buddy and other hunters lose some things on the pavant muzzy deer hunt. prescription drugs etc.

Do deer count? had a guy claim to shoot mine after i followed the blood trail right to it, only had 1 hole in it, right threw the lungs. Oh well.....

Vortex spotting scope right out of the truck. We were about 100 yards away trying to stick a buck on the bookcliff archery hunt. We had a cannon gl2 camera and got them on video as they raced away. I will post a clip of them when I get the video from my friend Brad Peocock. He has been guiding in Colorado so I haven't seen him in a while. He also said he would post a reward if anyone recognizes them. He just wants them to be caught and punished.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Please post it when you get it! I am all for catching thieves and someone may recognize them. Nothing worse than being out hunting and having your stuff stolen. I would expect it in the city but not out in the mountains. I guess there are dishonest people everywhere.

A guy I know had his WHOLE camp stolen! Wall tent, Stove , Cots, camp chairs, everything. He left camp set up at a local camping spot and went back to town for a couple days to take care of work only to return to nothing! Other campers were around and thought one of his buddies came to collect camp and move to another location to hunt. Messed up!

Never had anything stolen ,but if I did I would go to jail for beating them to death or to the hospital for them beating me to death. I don't care if they could woop my arse.

OK that is just sick and wrong that if you go hunting or camping and have to spend most or all the time wonder if camp will be there when you get back.
I do not need to read this right before I am going on a week long hunt .

rm, i'm sure that dog regreted eating the atomic hot links. when i was in high school, our football coach had a bbq at his place for the team, well he had a garden and a dog, we thought it would be funny to put a bunch of jal. peppers on a hamburger and feed it to the dog, he ran aroung like a chicken with its head cut off for awile, he threw it up about 15 min after he ate it. he got sick and laid down, we were worried he was gonna die so we told coach what was up, he took it to the vet and he recoverd. not a smart thing to do to a football coach, we found out the next week he could make us puke too!

not this yr. but ive had coolers,and a highlift jack. camo clothing. a 2 sided axe.tents stolen.1 destroid cut to shreds. bear did that. we even had our hay and oats stolen out of the horse trailer. i lead them out 6 miles to find no food. then get to drive back to vernal to get moore. i was tagged out anyways. so i snuck in a real shower before returning. lol sure aint like the old days anymoore.

Had a utility trailer taken this year off a seldom used back road. It had broken axle bolts and I left it over night to get a bigger trailer to stack it on. It was gone when I returned.

My gosh......I am going to get a "hair trigger" pit bull & chain him to a tree to monitor my camp while i'm gone!

Abomb,

That sucks your buddy had his whole camp stolen and the dudes who did it should be beat with a baseball bat.

I'll tell you who else suck. People who set up camps or park camp trailers to save camp spots suck too.

ya trailors parked in the same spots weeks before hunt. i agree. tent in back country are differnt.

We risked it this year and left the camper out in the hills unattended for four days while having to return to work. Was a little worried about it, but have never had any issues with theft or vandilism in the past.

When we returned to camp, everything looked in order until we went inside the camper. The place was torn apart, and filled with $h!t (this is no crap either). There was $h!t everywhere. All over my pillow, my sleeping bag, the counter and sink, the floor; I mean everywhere. My hunting buddy and I were mad!!

We got out the rubber gloves, clorox wipes, and garbage sacks. We spent the next couple hours cleaning up everything. We took the sleeping bags out and put them in garbage sacks. Then the worst part, I opened the little closet door in the bathroom, only to find that my wife's very nice wool coat had been vandilized too. The pockets where full of $h!t, and other nasty stuff. So into the garbage sack it went too.

Finally, we felt like the vandalism was all cleaned up, so we headed out to look for the mighty wapiti. As we started heading out, I thought, lets set a trap in case the enemy returned. At this point I didn't care how bad the enemy got hurt. So we set the trap and off hunting we went.

Upon returning, we were obviously excited to check the trap. We pulled up slowly to the camper as we returned, not to spook any would be vandales. To our suprize, we had caught the iginorate @#@##$#@ that would do this to us. Not only did we catch him, he was deader than dead.

One mouse down . . . and I'm still catching the little buggers to this day!

Honestly...we've never had a problem. We leave our campers for a few days all the time(I worry about them getting broken into all the time). There was one time when a man broke into my aunt's camper though. He was tracking a buck on a snowy day and he'd gone quite a ways. This man was a diabetic and his blood sugar was dropping rapidly. He was quite a ways from his truck so he took the door off the hinges and went inside. The trailer was winterized, but he found some water in a pan in the sink and made himself some hot chocolate. He left a note thanking my aunt and uncle and explaining what he'd done and who he was. Nobody minded that break in one bit.

Why do people who park a trailer to save a camp spot suck? I don't see the big deal with that. And how do you know they're not returning to the campspot every couple of days anyway?

For example, people park their trailers in the best camp spots right on the river along the South Fork of the Snake and leave them all summer long and for the most part only use them on weekends. Now no one can use those spots during the week because an unoccupied POS trailer is parked there. It's public land for every body to use, it's not your/their personal river front vacation property. That's why they suck.

I don't know if it varies from local to local, but in this country you aren't suppose to keep camp in one spot for more than two weeks. You can up and move to the site next door, but can't stay in one spot longer. As in all things, regs mean little if not enforced. A complaint in my neck of the woods, equals a follow up.

shotgun, if they are leaving them that long, report it, its illegal. i think the law was put in place to keep hippies from settin up house in the NF.

A Few years back my friend had a pair of decent binoculars stolen from his ATV while the two of us where hiking after deer.
We heard the ATV come up the road and watched it stop at our ATVs and take off. Unfortunately we were too far away to do anything about it and couldn't find the guys again.

I don't know why some people feel they have to vandalize camps. Even if the camp HAS been there longer than allowed, make the call to the Forest Service rather than take it into your own hands.

As far as thieves in camp while hunting I rarely worry about that. My dogs stay in camp and do a good job keeping curious folk out.

I do worry about my truck when parked. I rarely leave anything of value in my Toyota while I am out hiking around.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Not this year and I posted this before but we had a buck hanging in camp and returned from hunting to find a guy and his 10-12 year old son stealing the deer. The guy was lucky that day as all he got was a sever tounge lashing in front of his kid instead of the a$$ whipping of his life which he deserved. Could not believe this jerk would teach his kid to do something like that.. What a role model..

"Only Two Things are Infinite" -
The universe and human stupidity and I'm not so certain about the universe.

This lady stole a bag of snickers, apples, doughnuts, beer from the brat pan, and what ever else she could find in the five days we were camped in her kitchen!

IMG00212_1.jpg

Our deer cart was stolen while it was stashed in the mtn's, more about it in the mule deer fourm

You gotta be a pretty daring mofo to be stealing ANYTHING from a hunter camp. How do you know where the hunters are? They could be up a ridgeline about 6 bills away looking through their scope at you...finger on the trigger.

I personally have never had anything stolen from camp, but I know some folks that have. What has the world come to?

BigFly
4836e9156b4e92a1.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom