Archery Antelope - spot & stalk vs. blind

BrianID

Very Active Member
I know that sitting in a blind is the best way to kill a big goat, but I preffer to spot and stalk because I enjoy it more. How do you hunt antelope with a bow?

Well, sitting at a waterhole is the "easiest" way to do it, but if you prefer to spot and stock I will give you a couple of pointers that I picked up while hunting antelope with my bow.
1. They are very fast
2. They have very good sight
3. They rely more on sight than smell

What I did when I was hunting them was to find a buck and watch him until he walked out of sight, then I went to the last place I saw him. Most of the time if they didn't see you coming you could walk right up on them (until they see you). If you can find a place where they are feeding near some cedars or a wash you have it made. I snuck up on a group of small bucks using 1 large tree with the wind right at my back. They could smell me the whole time, but they didn't run until they actually saw me.

Good luck,

Rut

Have you tried a decoy? I have heard that decoying can be an exciting way to fill your tag.

Have killed 7 antelope with a bow, 6 were via the spot and stalk/ambush method, 1 was shot out of hole blind. I don't have the patience to do that anymore, although it can be very effective near water or a crossing. I've always tried to ambush them by seeing which direction they are headed (knowing where they are going) and trying to get ahead of them. Usually doesn't work and only have success maybe 1 time in 7-8 attempts. But enough attempts and patience will eventually lead to success. Good luck and have fun. Also I have tried the decoy and was able to get a few to come in close but they always figured something wasn't right while I was getting ready for the shot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom