Archery Antelope Success

TX_Diver

I was out last weekend and had some luck with the antelope.

I wanted to post the results and a thanks to the few people who commented on my original thread and helped out, especially Travis who texted me some good info on the roads and what the unit was like.

6bGZlSIh.jpg

I flew in on Saturday and spent the day visiting Black Rifle Coffee HQ, grabbing lunch, groceries, fuel for the stove, etc. With severe thunderstorms forecast I checked into a hotel and got an early night sleep.

I kept my van reservation and figured I'd stick to the main roads. Since it'd dumped rain the night before I wasn't able to hit some of the smaller ones that were particularly sandy, but the gravel roads were fine.

iSkcT91h.jpg

The next morning I got up and rolled out to the unit. Arriving late morning I glassed up a bedded goat with the binos and planned out a stalk. It seemed pretty straightforward so I didn't pull out the spotter to investigate further. 45 min later I arrived and found no goat but a tan/white rock. I didn't shoot it.

I drove around a bit more and after not finding any goats (or even anymore rocks that looked like goats) I got back on the hwy and moved to another main road within the unit.

Coming around a bend I saw some good terrain and stopped to glass. 200 yards away a buck stood up and walked off. I watched him head over a hill then continued along the main road to check out that area then come back after eating lunch.

I ate lunch (pre-made sandwich from Smiths), talked with some locals riding dirtbikes, and then set off to stalk that goat as he was in a good spot with some small hills. I got to where he was last seen, opened up my decoy fan (killergear antelope fan) and kind of picked my way through the hills. 1/2 mile later or so I finally found him but he was another 7-800 yards further away. Since the terrain wasn't challenging I figured I'd keep going. At about 400 yards he finally sees the decoy and started heading my way so I stopped and waited. Not seeing anything after a few min I glass again and turn him up heading the other way towards a small group. I continue the stalk but at about 300 yards bump a coyote who then ran straight to the goats and blew them out.

At that point I head back to the van and go down another main road in the unit. It's ~12PM. I spent the next 3 hours or so checking out the country, glassing up some goats that I couldn't get to, and eventually find some more to chase. I tried to approach these ones using 2 trucks leaving with 4 wheelers as cover. They continued to bump but only going 50-100 yards at a time and then pausing to watch me (wearing a be the decoy hat and holding the antelope fan this time). Eventually at 150 yards they decide I'm not actually an antelope and take off. The buck in that group was really nice though!

Terrain of 2nd stalk
NrxELQbh.jpg

At that point I decide to go back to where I'd glassed up the bucks I couldn't get to and try to setup the decoy and then wait and see if they'd get curious and come to me. I'm about a half hour from the main road due to going slow in my van.

Finally I get back to the main road and start rolling back to where I want to setup when I spot a small group (1 buck, 2 does, and 1 fawn). Figuring I have nothing to lose I pull off and decide to try the be the decoy hat and shirt this time. This time it works and I was able to almost just walk up to 70 yards and get a shot on the buck. I hit him perfectly and he sprinted a 50 yard circle, then crashed. I could see blood pumping out of him through the binos after the shot.

Bow is a PSE EVL 34 (with limbs from an NTN). Hamskea Hybrid Hunter rest, nock 2 it release, Easton Axis arrows w/ 100gr Rage NCs, ~540 grains at 263fps.

My first antelope with a bow.

YqUU3kXh.jpg

yJep97Jh.jpg

1ZyDm6Gh.jpg

I had bought some 1/4" particle board to sleep on since the floor was ribbed (and filthy) but it came in handy for butchering.

v7hZqzOh.jpg

Fun hunt and nice to have some first day success! I'm far from an accomplished bowhunter (this is only my 2nd bow kill) but I was stoked with this buck.

The Cape Job is a little Rough!:D

You Gonna See if HERTZ Offers a 4 Wheel Drive Van Next Time?:D

(((RAZZIN Ya!)))

Glad You Got Him!

Where Were You hunting?

The Cape Job is a little Rough!:D

You Gonna See if HERTZ Offers a 4 Wheel Drive Van Next Time?:D

(((RAZZIN Ya!)))

Glad You Got Him!

Where Were You hunting?

You say that jokingly, but I'm literally on hold with Uhaul right now trying to lock down a rental in WY lol.

There's an MM'er that Hauled Either a Lope Or Deer(Can't Remember Which?) Out With a Rented Ford Taurus Once!:D

Still Cracks Me Up!

PleaseDear Knows Who I'm Talkin about!

You say that jokingly, but I'm literally on hold with Uhaul right now trying to lock down a rental in WY lol.

There's an MM'er that Hauled Either a Lope Or Deer(Can't Remember Which?) Out With a Rented Ford Taurus Once!:D

Still Cracks Me Up!

PleaseDear Knows Who I'm Talkin about!
That’s how it’s done when all you have is a rental car. Lol
This is a doe I shot in MS last year. The head was removed to have the animal tested for CWD.
FBD14E3A-3FB8-4E80-8329-CABB3CA61592.jpeg

I was out last weekend and had some luck with the antelope.

I wanted to post the results and a thanks to the few people who commented on my original thread and helped out, especially Travis who texted me some good info on the roads and what the unit was like.

View attachment 50685

I flew in on Saturday and spent the day visiting Black Rifle Coffee HQ, grabbing lunch, groceries, fuel for the stove, etc. With severe thunderstorms forecast I checked into a hotel and got an early night sleep.

I kept my van reservation and figured I'd stick to the main roads. Since it'd dumped rain the night before I wasn't able to hit some of the smaller ones that were particularly sandy, but the gravel roads were fine.

View attachment 50686

The next morning I got up and rolled out to the unit. Arriving late morning I glassed up a bedded goat with the binos and planned out a stalk. It seemed pretty straightforward so I didn't pull out the spotter to investigate further. 45 min later I arrived and found no goat but a tan/white rock. I didn't shoot it.

I drove around a bit more and after not finding any goats (or even anymore rocks that looked like goats) I got back on the hwy and moved to another main road within the unit.

Coming around a bend I saw some good terrain and stopped to glass. 200 yards away a buck stood up and walked off. I watched him head over a hill then continued along the main road to check out that area then come back after eating lunch.

I ate lunch (pre-made sandwich from Smiths), talked with some locals riding dirtbikes, and then set off to stalk that goat as he was in a good spot with some small hills. I got to where he was last seen, opened up my decoy fan (killergear antelope fan) and kind of picked my way through the hills. 1/2 mile later or so I finally found him but he was another 7-800 yards further away. Since the terrain wasn't challenging I figured I'd keep going. At about 400 yards he finally sees the decoy and started heading my way so I stopped and waited. Not seeing anything after a few min I glass again and turn him up heading the other way towards a small group. I continue the stalk but at about 300 yards bump a coyote who then ran straight to the goats and blew them out.

At that point I head back to the van and go down another main road in the unit. It's ~12PM. I spent the next 3 hours or so checking out the country, glassing up some goats that I couldn't get to, and eventually find some more to chase. I tried to approach these ones using 2 trucks leaving with 4 wheelers as cover. They continued to bump but only going 50-100 yards at a time and then pausing to watch me (wearing a be the decoy hat and holding the antelope fan this time). Eventually at 150 yards they decide I'm not actually an antelope and take off. The buck in that group was really nice though!

Terrain of 2nd stalk
View attachment 50687

At that point I decide to go back to where I'd glassed up the bucks I couldn't get to and try to setup the decoy and then wait and see if they'd get curious and come to me. I'm about a half hour from the main road due to going slow in my van.

Finally I get back to the main road and start rolling back to where I want to setup when I spot a small group (1 buck, 2 does, and 1 fawn). Figuring I have nothing to lose I pull off and decide to try the be the decoy hat and shirt this time. This time it works and I was able to almost just walk up to 70 yards and get a shot on the buck. I hit him perfectly and he sprinted a 50 yard circle, then crashed. I could see blood pumping out of him through the binos after the shot.

Bow is a PSE EVL 34 (with limbs from an NTN). Hamskea Hybrid Hunter rest, nock 2 it release, Easton Axis arrows w/ 100gr Rage NCs, ~540 grains at 263fps.

My first antelope with a bow.

View attachment 50688

View attachment 50689

View attachment 50690

I had bought some 1/4" particle board to sleep on since the floor was ribbed (and filthy) but it came in handy for butchering.

View attachment 50691

Fun hunt and nice to have some first day success! I'm far from an accomplished bowhunter (this is only my 2nd bow kill) but I was stoked with this buck.
Nice, congrats. Good story

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom