Archery Cow Elk Tag up Blacksmithfork canyon. Help!

W

WingDing

Hello,
My name is Ryan and I am sixteen years old. Me and my dad drew a archery cow elk tag for the "Cache Mahoganies Unit." We just moved up to the cache valley and do not know the area very well. We have been up the area many times and have had no luck what-so-ever.
There are about 400 elk on the hardware right now, and more come everyday. We just don't know where we need to be. If anyone can help us out, we would really, really, apreciate it.
My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks alot!
-Ryan

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-03 AT 10:12PM (MST)[p] Get a hold of PLEASEDEAR on this board. He knows the area well and took one last year, he should be able to give you some tips. If I remember right, they seemed to do better on that hunt in January.
Alan

I had that same take a few years ago. It's a fun tag but you had better be in excellent shape. I would always see the elk way up on top around mile marker 16.

When we got on top I was amazed at the network of trails up there. 3-4 feet deep.

fc793cfb.jpg

Ps.no wee didn't get our elk.

Thanks for the replies. I'm am sure that your responses will help out alot.
Hiking to get up to them shouldn't be a big deal. I've been on some pretty tuff hikes looking for sheds and game.
The only problem is finding a herd. haha, but, I guess the search is half the fun! Well,thanks again.

-Ryan

Does anyone ever kill an elk on these hunts?? I see all you guys every morning when I'm headed up hunting with my hounds after cats year after year, but I've never talked to anyone that has actually killed anything. I don't imagine the success rate is too high.

Yeah BlackTimber, I recognize South Cottonwood canyon behind you and Devil's Gate off to your left. I know exactly where you're at. And that network of trails you saw up there? Well they used to be roads not too many years ago. Heck I bet you can kick around in the snow and still find pieces off my old blue chevy. ;-)

Besides that herd of elk that hangs out above second dam that everybody chases, the head of Pole Hollow and the steeps above Rock Creek might be another good place to look.

Steelie-Are you Robb? If you are, I got your e-mail. Thank you so much for the information! It has been most helpful. I will probably be heading up the blacksmith this upcoming friday and saturday. After that it is "Christmas Vacation", so I'll be up there every day! Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Kevin-
I've talked to a few people who have had success in the area. But I cannot say whether the success rate is high or not.
I've been up rock creek twice now, I have seen many signs of elk that have been in the area, and I can't even count how many deer I have seen up there!
Are there any stores in the cache valley that sell decent maps??? I would like to get one of the canyon if I can find one....Maybe then I could find where some of the places that you guys have been talking about are.
Well, thanks again.
-Ryan

Nope, I'm not Robb. My name is Terry. There really aren't any good maps of the area except the USGS 7.5 minute maps. Trailhead sports and Al's carry them. I think Boulder Mt. is the map you want.

The Forest Service map of the Cache National Forest is the only one I've ever seen used, I don't know that you'd need one more detailed than that but I'm sure there are some availible. The USFS map shows the major trails and access points in the area. You can get them at the Forsest Service office at the mouth of Logan Canyon, they used to cost $5.00 but I don't know what they are now. BTW, Boulder Mountain is on the other side of Left Hand and out of your hunt boundries, so I don't know that is necessarily the detailed map you want. Most of the locals refer to the general area of your hunt as the Mahoganies, though Sow Hole, Pig Hole, Hog Hole, North Cottonwood, and Pole Hollow are some of the drainages coming off the mountain. So if your looking for a more detailed map, these are the places you want to find.

Another thing WingDing, that wasn't you and your dad by the corrals at Rock Creek where you turn up to Baxter's sawmill a couple of Saturdays ago was it?? I was the filthy houndogger in the pink chev unloading my snowmobile right next to you if it was. Anyway, good luck on your hunt.

Alright, let me clarify. Boulder Mountain itself is NOT in your hunt boundaries. The USGS 7.5 minute Quad map that contains much of your hunt boundaries (especially the good areas) IS NAMED "Boulder Mountain". Boulder Mountain itself is just to the north, across Left Hand Fork of the Blacksmith.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom