Archery Elk help

sageman

I have been hunting archery Elk in Colorado for 6 years with a couple encounters. Can anyone help to point me in the right area(not your hot spot)for a over the counter elk area with a reasonable chance of seeing some elk please.I just want to try some place closer to home(Calif)....Jim

Here is the problem in Oregon with OTC tags, there are SO MANY hunters out there the quality of the experience sucks on public land in most places. not to say you couldn't get a bull, just that you won't be lonely.

You have a few options and I'd be glad to suggest a few units if fighting crowds isn't a deal breaker for you. or you can pay to go on private land, or build a few points and draw an LE tag. you can draw a much better tag with only a few points than an OTC tag.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I heard East of Bend might be good? I would expect OTC units will have a lot of hunters. If I can find a few elk I would be happy. At age 64 time seems to be running out.

You heard pretty much right. I live in the Ochoco unit east of Bend.

The Ochoco and I believe now the Maury unit are draw only for bow hunters. so as you can imagine they're good hunts and the displaced hunters from those units now gather in the surrounding units.

You'd need a point or two to draw the Ochoco. my advice is if you do decide to hunt in the crowd put in for a LE tag and if you don't draw you'll build points.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

You're looking for something that doesn't exist. build a few points or build a hotdog stand . might as well make some money off the crowds while you're there.

If you're dead set on hunting without a draw Beulah and Northside would be better units.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-18 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]Since you are from California and have to buy a non resident tag anyway I'd encourage you to drive a little farther and hunt Idaho or Montana. Idaho is OTC and Montana is an easy draw typically. I've bow hunted Oregon all my life "Be 51 in April" and since rifle tags are so hard to get everyone bow hunts now and the pressure is pretty unreal. I'd rather hunt 5 or 6 days in ID or MT than 7 or 8 days in Oregon using the difference to cover drive time. Just my opinion but I only hunt a few days in Oregon as a warm up and head out of state for my big hunts and find it worth the effort.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom