Thanks, your old buddy

Steve Cheuvront

Steve and Travis,

not like i owe you two lovebirds any explination however:

i am not a guide

i don't live in az.

i work for u.s. army

i am a dentist

btw. you're not my old buddy steve. you act like a politician. oh yeah, i didn't donate to your scam.....

my point travis...

steve highjacked the thread not me. two peas in a pod.....

great hunt to have dogsalmon. can speak from experience. sorry you have to deal with this here on the www...

Dogsalmon;

I am indeed sorry for getting in the way of you gaining information on your up coming unit 9 hunt.

I admit, it wasn't my intension, but that is what I did.

Steve Cheuvront

dogsalmon, Your about to get a pile of advertisements in your mailbox over the next couple of months. Unit 9 is easy money for guides. The unit is well suited for a do it yourself hunt. Some guides will have the biggest bulls well documented and staked out. If you wont be happy with nothing but the absolute top end thats the way to go. If you want a great chance at a great bull and a great hunt, Do It Yourself. IMO. If you dont mind me asking, how many bonus point did you have and where are you from.

Some guides will have the biggest bulls well documented and staked out.

Just because they have them staked out does not mean you cant hunt them.
You have in my opinion the best elk tag in the u.s. You could easily be successfull on a do it yourself hunt. The terrain is pretty much flat. Easy to cover alot of ground.Im sure all the water holes will have stands on them by the time season starts.
Anyway, you dont need a guide to hunt unit 9, but you may never draw this tag again so.....

Probably more pi$$ing matches per capita on waters in Unit 9 than anywhere else in America!

If you want to see ugly, just go to Unit 9 on the archery hunt! Blinds on every water, trail cams on every tree, tree stands everywhere and reports of them being stolen or vandalized daily, and some, but not all hunters who are willing to M...F.. anyone who happens to cross their path.

Great unit, lots of elk, always a chance always to bag a boomer.

Just too bad ethics seems to disappear in mid September...

Don Martin
AWO

P.S. Happens in other units to, 7 West is another place where it can and often does get ugly during the archery hunt!

sad but true... i drew the tag in 2007 and a guy we met had a father/son try to throw him out of a blind on a waterhole, claiming they had rights to sit there since they put up a ground blind also. the father began kicking the guy in the blind and his son joined in.... little did they know the guy was an ultimte fighter and came out of the blind and choked them both out, reported it to game and fish and they both lost their tags!
awesome tag and you will have a great hunt. i waited 11yrs(resident) and i decided to go with a guide since it probably may be another decade before i could draw the tag again. the choice is personal, but if you want to try and kill a hammer(380+) bull, and I assume you do since you waited so long for this unit, unless you have a lot of time to scout yourself, spend the money and get a quality guide.

Don

p.s. i went with mullins outfitters and they were fantastic.

Sounds like you should hire a cage fighter first then a guide or better yet a guide that is a cage fighter. In 2007 I had the opportunity to guide/help in the unit. I was there pretty much all of September and never ran into any problems with other hunters but we never hunted water or stands. Talked to a few hunters here and there and they all seemed very nice.

That being said I believe your best bet would be either Mullins or Mossback AZ. Both guides know the unit like the back of their hand and scout the unit a ton.

You will find tree stands and ground blinds at any water. Some will have multiple blinds and stands. Some will have notes that say the water is reserved for so and so.

But I agree with X, I've hunted in there a bunch and everyone I have run in to has been nice. Never had a problem there.

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

Dogsalmon, if your going to hire a guide do your homework, call their reference list and talk to not just the successful hunters, but the one's that were not successful as well. I had the opportunity to hire Travis Scott from SouthwesthuntingAdventures and I couldn't recomend him more. Last year I went on a elk hunt with him in this state and it was awesome. He's one of the best elk hunters/callers I know.

Mike,

Congratulations on your great tag! One of the very best in the state for sure.
Unit 9 can be very competitive depending on where you hunt and what group of people happen to draw the tag on any given year.
Beware that by asking for info. on quality outfitters that you have opened yourself up to the MM internet guide service marketers and their minions.
There may be decent outfitters contacting you, but realize that there are also others out there that are outstanding that don't moniter the MM chat forums. Just an FYI for you. Nothing against any outfitters on here!
You may consider a D.I.Y. hunt depending on your abilities and your elk hunting experience which only you know. Would you be able to call bulls in on your own and are you able to scout? Sitting water only and not calling bulls can be productive but can also be a nightmare. Those are the key considerations.
Regardless of what you do, I wish you the best on your hunt. The bulls will be big this year!

AZELK1

I think you could kill a bull on your own but it may be hard to field judge and you may shoot the first 330 bull that steps out cuz he looks big to you. It would help to have someone along to help you pass on the smaller bulls be it a guide or just a friend.

I know a guy that drew a early rifle Unit 9 tag. Just curious what size Bull would someone with this tag hold out for. He has killed a boatload of Elk but hasn't hunted a place with the chance at a world class Elk.

Dopsalmon, PM sent. I've hunted unit 9 twice and can assure you that you have an incredible elk tag. You're gonna have an awesome elk hunt. I hunted it once on my own and had a great hunt and once guided and had another great hunt. I expect to draw it one more time in my life, sometime in the next few years. and will have my best elk hunt yet.

A couple of friends and myself have all hired Arizona High Country outfitters (Johnny Casner) when we have drawn Arizona tags and have all had great hunts. He does alot in unit 9 & 10 and has bagged some whoppers. In 2008 on a 10 late hunt he guided a guy to a 421 bull. I am not affiliated with his outfit, just think if I had the tag I would deffinately call him.
Thanks
Gene Garcia

Johnny Casner
928-713-3264

Steve Chapell would be the guy I would go with. He is a top notch guide and knows the elk and unit very well. Good luck on an awesome hunt!
T.Stanley

A buddy and I had the archery elk tag last year. We both did it unguided and were both able to score on 335" bulls. The hunt was totally different than I had expected it to be. I shot my bull over a trick tank on the 8th day of the hunt and the bugling was far and few between even that late into the hunt. The hunt just seems to be a week or so too early. After scouting it for a week and hunting it for 8 days in 2009, my biggest piece of advice is don't pass a 350" bull on any day of the hunt!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom