Archery High Country

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
My dad is turning 65 this year. I want to get up to the high country with the bow righ before the mountain is too much. Being a non-resident, we are looking for a unit that has multiple options to hit a trail head with a back pack on, hike 4-5+ miles up hill and get above timberline to get on some respectable deer. From the research I have done, unit 74 and 70 seem like options with 74 being higher in elevation. Has anyone bow hunted gmu 70 or 74 and can tell me what their experience has been? Get up high, pull out the glass and hopefully put together a sucessful stalk on a typical 4x4 in velvet. Smiling just thinking about it... Thank you everyone for any ideas or historical.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-13 AT 02:07PM (MST)[p]I have hunted both and 74 is steeper! Opinions vary, but both units have good bucks.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Steeper meaning if your willing to go high, less pressure above timberline? Are there good bucks above timberline in 74?

is there a fair amount of Wilderness in 74 that may be good for high alpine backpack expedition with the bow rig?

Steeper/farther generally means less people, but not sure if that always translates into less people in those units above timberline. There is only so much timberline country. 74 doesn't have much true "winderness" but there is a lot of timberline roadless country.

There are big bucks in both units, but finding them above timberline can be a challenge. Many good looking basins are empty. Not like hunting down low where you can set up in one spot and hunt out from there. You may have to move around until you find the basins that hold deer.

At 55, the mountains are already starting to kick my butt, so at 65, your Dad is going to have to be in really good shape and arrive a few days early to be able to do what needs to be done

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

TX Hunter,

Are there plenty of alpine country to hunt in 74? Any suggestions as to which direction in the unit i.e. north, south?

Thanks, BeastN

BeastN,
Generally speaking, the high country in 74 is north of the upper Hermosa Road. Plenty of high country south west and north around Silverton.
Antler

Anything about the area at snowstorm peak/lewis Mountain - la plata canyon? Looks good from the air. That colorado trail shows up almost everywhere from Google Earth.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom