Archery Hunt in the Big Horns

brookhunter19

I am going to buy a left over Muley tag for Region Y, and possibly a left over antlerless elk tag for area 38 if I have enough funds left before I heading out to the Big Horns for the Archery opener. The main objective for this trip, is going to be to scout for the archery elk tag that I should draw next year in unit 38, and to scout for the unit 1 moose tag that I will hopefully draw in 3-4 years. I have never been out to the Big Horns to hunt, and have never been on a DIY out of state hunt except for three antelope hunts on private land near Gillet. I would like to know what to expect as far as hunting pressure, numbers of animals, quality of animals, camp sites, and where is the best place to pick up ice, food, and supplies before setting up camp. I will be making this trip on my own, and I have never been north of Gillette so I am very anxious to see what the Big Horns look like. My main question is where I should set up camp at. I have heard of the Black Bear Camp ground near Burgess Junction, but I would prefer something a little more remote. Is it legal to set up camp anywhere on National Forest Land? I appoligize if this is a very ignorant question, but like I mentioned ealier this is my first DIY hunt on public ground. I appreciate any words of advice, and look forward to pointing my truck west and spending two weeks scouting and hunting in early September.

Thansk,

Brookhunter19

You can camp anywhere on the forest. Hunting pressure will be heavy the opener thru labor day. If you are archery hunting you will not be able to hunt cow elk because it is a rifle tag that opens in Oct. I'm not sure what affect last winter had on the deer numbers, but there is still a fair amount of snow in the high country.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom