Archery/Muzzy elk on the Bosque Del Oso

hoopscoach

If you are considering applying for an early season elk tag on the Bosque, you should read this first. I decided to post this warning to archery and muzzy elk hunters because I have talked to some very disappointed guys hunting the Bosque Del Oso in the past few years. I have hunted the Bosque 4 of the last 5 years for deer and bears and have come to understand that the elk disappear after the first week of September every year. There are some very good bulls that will summer on the Bosque but as soon as the rut starts around the beginning of the second week of September, they typically leave the Bosque and head to the adjacent ranch to chase cows. I talk with elk hunters in the campground every year and this is a pattern that seems to happen consistently year after year. I'm not sure whether it's because of the pressure the bulls feel as the archery season opens or the natural urge to be with the cows, but it happens every year. There are some very nice bulls in August and at least one or two lucky guys will harvest one but if you don't fill your tag in the first week of September, it's probably going to be tough to find any mature bulls after that.
The muzzy season is even tougher as you might imagine since it doesn't start until mid September. Usually there is at least one of the muzzy guys that will get lucky and catch one passing through but muzzy success rates are extremely low.
The later season bull hunts can be very solid but are somewhat weather dependent. My nephew drew a 2nd season youth bull tag in 2019 and shot a smoker of a bull so I have had good experiences with the rifle hunts. However, in my opinion, the early season hunts are not worth the number of points it takes to draw them. The rut rarely takes place on the Bosque so you shouldn't expect to be calling in bugling bulls and seeing much rutting activity. If you are considering applying for any of the September elk hunts, I would suggest you call Bob Holder first or spend some time down there in September the year before you draw to see what the hunt is like. It's a bummer to see guys spend 11+ points on a hunt and then be disappointed.

I'll be down there next month to try and wack 3 toed tommy. Never set foot on the place.

Have my turkey tag in my pocket for the second year in a row. Sidestepped a major shoulder surgery and looking forward to seeing what this place is all about. And, maybe put a turkey in the back of the truck.

Haha, apparently not...:D
Last year, there was a 78% chance to draw with 6 points.... Results of the draw aren't out yet but I did not draw with 7 this year. No doubt most people turned their tags back in last year because of COVID and all applied again this year.....

I had 10. Just finally decided this would be the year I'd head down there and see it for myself. See what all the hoopla was about.

I drew last year with 7 points, turned the tag back in and drew again this year with 8 points. Been wanting to do this hunt for a little while and hope to take my first Merriam.

Good luck, DW

Turkeys on the bosque isn’t a slam dunk especially if you wait until later in the season. Have fun and good luck!

I didn't draw this year's spring gobbler tag with 7. I've hunted the bosque twice for spring gobblers.--- PM me if any of you want. Bob

If you are considering applying for an early season elk tag on the Bosque, you should read this first. I decided to post this warning to archery and muzzy elk hunters because I have talked to some very disappointed guys hunting the Bosque Del Oso in the past few years. I have hunted the Bosque 4 of the last 5 years for deer and bears and have come to understand that the elk disappear after the first week of September every year. There are some very good bulls that will summer on the Bosque but as soon as the rut starts around the beginning of the second week of September, they typically leave the Bosque and head to the adjacent ranch to chase cows. I talk with elk hunters in the campground every year and this is a pattern that seems to happen consistently year after year. I'm not sure whether it's because of the pressure the bulls feel as the archery season opens or the natural urge to be with the cows, but it happens every year. There are some very nice bulls in August and at least one or two lucky guys will harvest one but if you don't fill your tag in the first week of September, it's probably going to be tough to find any mature bulls after that.
The muzzy season is even tougher as you might imagine since it doesn't start until mid September. Usually there is at least one of the muzzy guys that will get lucky and catch one passing through but muzzy success rates are extremely low.
The later season bull hunts can be very solid but are somewhat weather dependent. My nephew drew a 2nd season youth bull tag in 2019 and shot a smoker of a bull so I have had good experiences with the rifle hunts. However, in my opinion, the early season hunts are not worth the number of points it takes to draw them. The rut rarely takes place on the Bosque so you shouldn't expect to be calling in bugling bulls and seeing much rutting activity. If you are considering applying for any of the September elk hunts, I would suggest you call Bob Holder first or spend some time down there in September the year before you draw to see what the hunt is like. It's a bummer to see guys spend 11+ points on a hunt and then be disappointed.
Appreciate sharing this info...had this on my radar years back for the muzzy hunt, but then the point creep really crept in as guys jumped to it. Solid share of info - thanks!

Burned 7 points and did get a tag for spring 2022.
Headed down for the first week in May.
any suggestions on camping area and use of ATV to get around would be helpful.

I just got back from bosque de oso. Tough hunting with the high winds. My buddy got a nice one down on the river bottom. Not much gobbling. I'm headed back over in a couple of weeks. Both campgrounds are nice. Forget the atv------you can use your pickup. You get to a locked gate & park there & then it's on foot after that. PM me & I'll tell you what I can. Bob

I just got back from bosque de oso. Tough hunting with the high winds. My buddy got a nice one down on the river bottom. Not much gobbling. I'm headed back over in a couple of weeks. Both campgrounds are nice. Forget the atv------you can use your pickup. You get to a locked gate & park there & then it's on foot after that. PM me & I'll tell you what I can. Bob
WIND What wind?? Headed that way next week, hope the wind lets up. I understand about using the pickup, but with camper on it, will not work to get around. So ATV will be along. I have never been to this site. Are there several campsites? No reservation needed? any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom