Archery.....Owens Tule Elk

VideoDude

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-12 AT 10:06PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-12 AT 10:04?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-12 AT 09:49?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-12 AT 09:47?PM (MST)

I am finally catching up after a busy 2 weeks of hunting Tule Elk in the Owens Valley and in butchering the 6 point I ended up shooting on the 6th day of the hunt.

My time there was spent with some great friends and making some new ones. I spent some time with Don Nichols scouting and hunting these Bulls, and there were a lot of them.

The heat was up all week with some afternoon thundershowers that were a welcome site.

I put a 440 yard stalk with a 100 yard belly crawl to get within 45 yards, when I rose for the shot, 15 elk got up and moved out to the 60 yard mark, and I settled the pin on him and shot. He went 20 yards and expired in 2-3 min.

We seen this bull a week earlier and I took a photo thru the spotting scope.

Ron

73666_point.jpg

37796_point_live.jpg

Video Dude- Beautiful bull! Congratulations. Sounds like you had a great hunt.

That had to be nerve racking to make that stalk and then have to watch as they moved away...and then to finally get the opportunity to drill him at 60. Good job on keeping your nerve...well done and welcome to MM!

Ron earned this bull.

He had every reason to give up on the stalk every time that bull got up and moved his cows.....other bulls kept hazing the herd.....but Ron stayed in 2 feet of ground cover, 104 degrees of heat and kept his attitude.

Conditions were NASTY for his long, slow belly crawl.......after which he made a perfect shot and the bull only went 45 yards.

This was late in a day where he had already put in a couple of other stalks that bad wind, poor cover, and satellite bulls, made unsuccessful.

In 6 days, he put in about 10 miles of ground work in heat conditions I don't EVER want to see again.

Glad I was a small part of his hunt and my hat is off to him.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

Congratulations Ron, on a fine hunt and great Bull. I live on the coast where 70 degrees is a heat wave. Nothing saps my energy and moral more than 100+ degree heat. Congratulations again for toughing out those conditions.

nickman, you ever draw a tag for those elk?

Eel

Way nice, that's getting it done!!

Congrats!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Awesome bull and you earned it with the high temps. Its hard to keep at it in those conditions but a real hunter will succeed. Congrats on a successful hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom