Archery Unit 49,57,58, and 581

scpaisley

Anyone hunted in these areas or going to be hunting in these areas this season?

I've hunted whitetail and Elk, never a mulie so this will be my first go around so any advice for the areas would be appreciated.

I've hunted GMU 49 (3) times. Twice during 1st rifle
and 1 time with a muzzleloader all for Elk. I can say
without a doubt that I've seen more sheep in 49 than deer
and the biggest buck I've come across was an average
4x4. Now granted I was not looking for deer but I don't
believe there are alot of muleys in 49 but hey your only
looking for 1. Good Luck Later Baker

I've hunted 581 all my life, last year I killed a 29" 5x5 during the second season rifle. There are many deer in the unit, but the key is to get away from the roads around elevenmlile resevoir. My best advice is to get a map and find areas where you can get away from the crowd. My family and I along with some buddies have taken some very respectable deer from 581, but it didn't come without hard work and getting off the beaten path. Good luck to you this year. Not sure if you remember the "Lopez Buck" but it's the biggest Non-Typical killed in the last 30 years (306 gross) and was taken right across Hwy 24 in unit 50, so the potential is there. Good luck to you this season, maybe I'll see you around, but I'll be chasing elk.

I agree with FamousAddiction. If you hunt the small tracts of Pike N.F. above 11 Mile Canyon you can find some really nice bucks. I have filmed some of the largest deer I have ever seen in my life in unit 581. Most, if not all, of the private land in unit 581 near Guffey is leased to outfitters or groups already. I was able to talk to a lucky hunter two years ago who shot a 192 gross B&C buck off of a private ranch near Guffey, he wouldn't give any specifics other than that. That was 3rd rifle two years ago. If your crafty and have the time you can find small pockets of Pike N.F. that can be accessed from the small subdivisions like Colorado Mountain Estates north of Florrisant. You can try knocking on some doors along Teller County Road 1. It's really green up there this year and the deer have been spread out quite a bit, may be hard to find. Good luck in your search. There are some bruisers in the unit.

Yea it is amazing to me that Leadville to Cripple Creek is under the same tag!! It takes about 2 and a half to 3 hours to drive that far! I know they were looking at seperating or breaking up this into 2 draw units but as it is now you have a ton of area to hunt.

I too would look into 57 or 58. I dont know that much about 581 but I have seen some great bucks in 58.

Thanks for the help guys! I went Elk hunting in parts of 581 last year for rifle season. I didn't see any elk, outside of the massive heard on the fossil beads, but I did see some nice deer from time to time, mostly around Booger Red.

I'm hoping for a great season. I will keep you all posted if I happen to snag one on the first weekend. Happy hunting!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom