Archery?

antlerrick

Very Active Member
I have been excited about dusting off the Bowtech and getting ready for archery season and then while helping at our RMEF banquet I tear my distal tendon between my bicep and elbow. I had to have surgery Wednesday and the doc said "no bows"!!! Do any of you know the rules to be able to use a crossbow during archery season? I just want to hunt archery so bad this year and that may be the only way to go. 6 months before I can draw a bow....that sucks!!!

I'm sure the process and paperwork depends on what state you're in. I think all you have to have is a doctors note saying you are disabled. Just call and ask your state's wildlife office and they can point you in the right direction.

OUCH Rick! That hurts - I think Lisa went through something similiar to this 2 or 3 years ago did she not? I am not sure you can use a crossbow, but it would be worth looking in to.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I think the word "permanent" puts me out of that

(1)(a) A person who has a permanent physical impairment due to injury or disease, congenital or acquired, which renders the person so severely disabled as to be unable to use conventional archery equipment may receive a certificate of registration to use a crossbow or draw-lock to hunt big game, cougar, bear, turkey, waterfowl or small game during the respective archery or any weapon hunting seasons as provided in the applicable proclamations of the Wildlife Board for taking protected wildlife.

I wouldnt count yourself out of the game yet. Dr's have to tell you a ccertain amount of recovery time. do you best with therapy eat a healthy diet and you'll be back. Good luck!

Traditional >>>---->

Unless its changed, I believe you can you use a crossbow during archery seasons in Wyoming.

Does the restriction preclude switching to a off hand version of bow. If you draw with that arm then you would be contracting that muscle, putting stress on that tendon. Holding the bow with that arm will not as long as you don't hyperextend that elbow to put undue stress on it. See what the doc and physical therapist say. The PTs are really the gurus on the healing and use end.

If you get a signed release from you Dr stating that you cannot draw that bow, then you will probably get a crossbow tag. Speaking from experience, two full rotator cuff tears in the past three years, do exactly what the Dr/Physical therapist tells you to do.

mmwb---You are correct in that Wyoming does allow anyone the use of a crossbow during archery seasons.

I am a permanently disabled hunter and have had many conversations with the DWR about eligibility. i believe with a doctors note and filling out the right forms that you would be able to use a crossbow this year. the permanent disability part allows you to hunt for extended days but i dont think you qualify for that as it pertains to the mobility impaired injuries.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom