Are Deer Worms Normal?

M

MarkCollins

Are Deer Worms Normal?

Finding worms or maggots in the nose or head of your deer can certainly be an unnerving experience during your hunt, particularly if you have never encountered this problem in the past. It may even leave you wondering whether the deer you just harvested may have been the victim of some type of virus or disease. In reality, this is perfectly normal. During the warmer months of summer, larvae are often laid in the nasal passages by adult flies. The larvae then continue to live deep within the nasal massages.

Typically, during the following spring, the larvae will crawl out, make its way into the soil, and later develop into an adult. Of course, if during your trophy deer hunting, you happen to harvest the host deer in the meanwhile, what you are going to find is a larvae inhabitant. After the deer is shot, the body will begin the cooling process and the worms begin to move around. This is usually when a hunter will notice them. This presents absolutely no need for concern as the larvae may be somewhat on the gross side but are not harmful to people.

Trophy Deer Hunting | Big Game Hunts

Red stag Ranch -
http://www.redstagranch.net

RE: Are Deer Worms Normal?

+1.

As a vet, I see these routinely when we are collecting samples for CWD checks. As stated, they are normal and do not affect the meat quality at all.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Normal or not it's still gross. That would give me the heebee geebees...

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Thanx mark. Haven't come across em yet but if I ever do I'll know not to panic. Good post!

Down in the shop was a buck my Dad had shot the night before. We went down there to check on the hanging deer and to grab the gut tub we always used for deer taken around the Ranch close in.

The head was the last item on top in the tub and it had a big ol grub looking thing working it's way out that deer's nostril. Dad sad it was normal but i never forgot it.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

How about when 100 ticks come crawling out the nose? Now that is GROSS! Seen it a few different times.

They are called nasal bots and all harvested deer I've seen have them. Nothing to worry about, just can't imagine a deer living with them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom