Are you a EMT?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
I'll wager a good bunch of guys on here have gone thru the EMT training, passed their test, and may or may not still be EMT certified!

I had a Uncle pass out, from a heart attack we found out later, dad and i didn't know nothing so we loaded him in the truck and headed hell bent for town. As guessed, he passed away before we made the hospital and that very day, i made a point of at least getting Basic First Aid certified and soon did.

Couple few years later i had the opportunity to take the classes to become a EMT. I did and though there were lots of classes and it was one of the hardest tests i ever took, i passed the State Test first go around. One of the best things i ever did!!! Though i'm no longer certified, i learned TONS of stuff, have helped in several bad accidents as first responder, and feel my training, might ,could, would, save someone's life if and whenever it's needed...even maybe my own.

How many Basic first aid grads or EMT grads do we have amongst us?

Joey

I am a EMT Basic and have been for 5 yrs now. It's been great to have. Like anything else though, when ya quit using it daily you lose some of the knowledge.
redelkarcher>>>------------->

Was a volunteer fireman for 35 years.

Was EMT certified for 13 years.

Am currently a District Fire Commissioner, for last 5 years.

Wife is still active certified EMT.

Volunteer for many years and now a Registered Nurse in the ER and ICU for the last 15 years. I really think that the volunteers in this world are what keeps it all together. Smaller communities are very fortunate to have people that are willing to donate their time and money to make sure their community has EMS resources. God Bless all of you!

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

I was a volunteer fireman for 13 yrs and left when my second child was born.

My hats off big time to the EMT's. It is crazy how many hours of training is required, and then how many hours is required of training each year to stay active. Those folk are donating a huge amount of their time.

"Now we come to the most important pre-season question. Do you just want to go elk hunting, or do you want to bring one back? If you desire the latter, there is no substitute for hard work. The bigger your goal, the harder the work required to get there. Good luck!" - Cameron R. Hanes

Been a full-time firefighter/EMT for over 21 years....retirement is in sight!!!!!

NV State Parks Div. employee for 35 or more yrs.at different positions from Seasonal Ranger through to Park Supervisor and Acting Regional Manager...stationed in all areas of the state over the years...certified in Basic First Aid, First Responder, and later EMT (did the Basic Course two different times because certification lapsed)...also a Volunter Fireman on a rural Nevada town and later with NorthFork VFD (Wild Horse Area-Northeast Nevada)...great and fond memories of incidents, fires, rescues...great relationships with all those I trained and served with, or the public which I was able to serve... a few incidents where there were fatalities involved... a few where my actions or others saved a life or a fire from spreading to do real damage, or a rescue from turning into a tragedy. Over the years had at least four where parties wrote or personally thanked me for saving their life, or the life of a family member. I have retired from all that, but the knowledge gained still serves me well... my First Aid kit on all trips is my jump kit (if I go away hunting, I have a back-up at home)... my wife and I (she a former CPR instructor, Red Cross Volunteer for Disaster Services, and former EMT)and I have a Disaster/Survival/Emergency kit in our home ready to grab in a moments notice. I would say to those healthy, interested, active and able to do so...if you can, don't be afraid of serving where you can when can, you can gain great benefit for yourself while serving others.

I've been a volunteer fireman for years. There's only about 14 of us in the department. I'm not EMT certified, but for a small town, we have some folks that are really dedicated and do a super job. I agree that those EMT's are part of the backbone of our town.

I might retire from something someday, but right now I plan to stay at my job and on the Department as long as possible.

Firefighter/EMTParamedic for 17 years now. Don't ride the ambo much anymore as I have had my fill of it. I'm happy to let the new guys get the glory and the gory.

Before I retired it was required within our company that all employees had First Aid, Fire Safety etc. training quarterly.
We had ResusiAnnie to practice on too.....

It use to be 15 to 2 for heart attacks, then went to 5 to 1 not sure where it is now, heard I think that don't stop until the EMT's are on the scene and take over.

Everyone should know the basic's for Life Support I think, never know when you might have to help a loved one or friend.

Brian

I am not, but know there worth and have great respect for the time they put in. My dad has been the crew chief of our volunteer ambulance service for 52 years.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-09 AT 11:13AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-09 AT 11:12?AM (MST)

EMT-D/FIREMAN......WAS FOR 30 YEARS.....I JUST LOVED TO JUMP START FOLKS HEARTS......D IS FOR DE-FIB..................YD.

I've been a full time firefighter and EMT-B since 2001, in New Mexico. I think everyone should at least go through a certified CPR class. It's a class that could save a life when your out in the middle of nowhere, but it's also good to have when your home also with the family. When I'm at work I have all the equipment I need, but when I'm on top of a mountain I don't have all the equipment. I get picked on at camp because I carry a little more than usual first aid kit. But I try to be prepared for any type of situation.

Local 244

Volunteer Fire Fighter as well, just the other day the cheif offered to pay for me to go to EMT school. Because of the up coming hunts, I asked if we could wait for a few months. So it should happen in the near future.

borntohunt

Congrats to each of you for your training. I am also a full time Fire Fighter/EMT basic. Great job! Nothing better than helping someone who is really messed up. Keep up the great work!!

Chad

Been a volunteer firefighter for 21 years now and EMT for 4 years. Run on the ambulance an average of 2 calls per week. Can never have enough volunteers when it hits the fan.

Yes, I am, since 1996. We run as a volunteer department. So don't get hurt in San Juan, because it just might be me that shows up.

Sageadvice, I am sorry to hear that you had that horrible experience with your uncle. I am glad that to hear that you took it as an oppurtunity to learn some new skills though. Congrats to you for that.
I started as a EMT-B in 2001 and then got my EMT-I the same year. I ran with a rural ambulance that is all volunteer. Now I am a fulltime firefighter/Paramedic and have been working as such for the last three years. I do still run with the rural ambulance and the fire department where I live as well.

Used to be, not anymore, same as you I'm glad for the knowledge. Had to lapse because of job change/move. My guts still drop to my knees anytime a pager goes off in the same room.

Thank You Guys!! For a good spell there i was the Maintenance Supervisor at our local hospital. Once i became EMT-1 certified, the ER personell would call me anytime they needed help. Though we lost some, we saved many.

I also was on the local volunteer fire dept during that time and a couple years after. I kinda enjoy knowing i put in my time helping this small community and being part of something so important yet, besides us guys and a few others knowing what we did, unrewarding in that all our time training and on calls was freely given. There's a great group of younger fellas and gals there now, most are getting paid decent wages...and i suppose it's only natural in these times, they're always wanting more money. :)

Joey

I was an emt for many years and worked ski patrol and bike patrol at a local resort. If I could have supported a family doing it, I would probably still be doing it. I was also on the volunteer fire department at the resort for a few years.

my last job offered a raise for anyone with EMT training. so was one for about 5 years, i hated it because i had to wear a raidio all the time at work. but glad i have the training.

Full time firefighter/EMT-B for 10 years now. Used the training severval times for parties Ive came across.

" Heck no.........Cant stand blood and guts."

bull, LOL, i hear you there. I always hated hospitals! You get used to it pretty easy though. You're a wild land fire guy aren't you? First time you use your skills to help a bro out is a way better feeling than any you ever had to deal with; blood and guts.

Not saying it's for everybody but for a young man with a lot of life ahead of him, i'd certainly recommend getting this training in your head and on your resume. It looks good and may be the tiebreaker point in getting a great job, but more important, you may actually save someone's life.

Joey

Not me, but my cousin in an AMT on a DPS helo in northern Arizona. My hat's off to all of you who perform well under pressure what needs to be done. Know that you're appreciated!!!

Lv2hnt

"Every man dies --- not every man really lives."

That was sageadvice! An EMT cert is a great thing to have on your resume' and just might make the difference to getting a great job. Plus it might make the difference between you actually saving a life or just being the out of control idiot on the scene yelling "HE'S GOING INTO SHOCK!" Settle down Gilligan. He just doesn't like the sight of his own blood.

I was an EMT-B, worked on an ambulance for a little while. I let it expire, It's hard to recertify when you are not in that filed anymore. I am sure in time of need the knowledge would come rushing back.

Fish4evr.

Sageadvice, one of the best post in awhile. I'm going to look into this myself,probably not the EMT cousre but the basic first-aid classes.

Thanks for the good idea.

Joe E Sikora

Been a Wyo BEC for 10 years, Been in and out of the emergency Services for the last 30 years.
Now it's mostly work related. between Being in fire fighting, Haz-mat and the BEC, I don't have the time to take the EMT coures.

I still will teach a few Fire fighting classes But it takes a lot of time.

Just got CPR certified this year.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

10 years SAR Tech-EMT with a wilderness module and National Registry for MCSO Mountain Rescue in Phoenix.

4 years Airborne SAR Tech-EMT and Rescue Training Coordinator with MCSO Aviation-Rotor Wing.

They were the best and worst years of my life but I would not trade them for anything.

You don't have to go for the full EMT, a Wildernes First Responder Course from SOLO, Wilderness Medical Institute (NOLS) or Wilderness Medical Associates takes a lot less time and is outstanding training for anybody that loves to be out and away from emergency medical resources.

Also, carry a good communications device for the area you plan to be in so you can make a distress call and get the good guys headed your direction while you manage things on scene. I like the SPOT device best.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

+ 10 what hardcore said.

I am a major fan of the "Find Me SPOT" system.

Previous thread on this site blew the thing off.

I kind of look at being out away from it all, as a privilage, not a right and I don't think I have the right to put others at risk trying to find my dumb ass in the boonies.

It is a very handy device and I can see no excuse for not having one, especially if other people depend on you while "out and about".

Been a volunteer fire fighter for 15 years with Basic first aid/ CPR/AED annual training. I know enough to help someone, but would prefer to stick with the hot stuff.

nrueh

Basic First Aid/CPR/AED certified and have been for years. Thankfully never had to use the AED Cert. First Aid training used many times on myself and others.

Phantom Hunter

It does help to go through it once but if possible stay updated as methods are always changing.I have been an EMT andCPR,First aid instructer for 15 years and it has changed alot.I carry more than what is needed for little things but a slip of the knife while field dressing can turn bad in a split second.Someone brought up a tourniquet earlier and as an EMT we go by that if you apply one the way they are supposed to be applied you will lose that limb 6" above the tourniquet so only as a last resort.Direct pressure first and do not remove first bandage when blood soaks,add on top,then pressure point.Be safe and good hunting

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom