Are you ready to Rumble???

O

ozstriker22

It's crunch time, fellows. I "need" a new deer rifle and it's down to a battle between 2 guns, and every opinion counts!!! Bucks are out there, just waiting to die.

In this corner, weighing in at 7lbs 6oz, we have a used, excellent condition Browning BAR chambered in 30-06 equiped with a Leupold 3-9x32 Rifleman. Retail price of $889... at the local gunshop for $695 (I'd offer them $650 cash).

And in the other corner, the challenger, weighing in at 7lbs no oz, we have a brand new, Savage Arms Ultra 114U with the New accutriger design and choice of 30-06 or .270! I already have a great scope I can move over to this rifle. Retail price of $569... at the local gunshop for $509.

Okay, Ladies and gentlemen... place your bets, and LETS GET READY TO RRRRUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Which rifle will it be? Your advice makes all the difference!

Here are some links to pictures and specs:
BAR -
http://www.browning.com/products/ca...ue=002B&cat_id=031&type_id=001&item=031001226
Savage -
http://www.savagearms.com/114u.htm

Thanks,

Jesse

I would go with the Savage in .270. I have a Browning BAR in .308 and it won't shoot tight groups no matter what I do. I have tried several different factory loads as well as more re-loads then I care to remember and it just will not group less then 1.5-2.5 inches. On the other hand I have a Savage model 11G in .300 WSM and it shoots sub inch all day long. Save some money and go with the Savage!

I have to agree with WAredneck, if accuracy counts with you, go with the Savage. I have known several friends that had a Browning BAR, and none of them would group less then 1-3/4 to 2" with three shots at 100 yards. As for caliber, that is a personal choice you should make. Both 30-06 or 270 will do the job for most of your hunting.

RELH

I'll give another round to Savage.
A buddy has a 112 308 accu-trigger. It's butt ugly rifle, but hell if it's not a sub MOA shooter! I'm shure the Browning is a decent gun, but I've also herd some things about accuracy issues.

BAR all the way I have one in a 7mm and what a tack driver! Savage yuck yuck no no! IMHO

BROWNING, the best there is.
They claim it, I believe it.

Savages actions and triggers feel like POS!!!

It's funny, a friend of mine that I haven't seen in about a year called me out of the blue. It seems on Sunday he bought a very nice new rifle. He asked me if I wanted to buy his old Weatherby .300 win mag for $500. It's got a Muzzle Brake already installed - cuts the kick in half, has a new leather sling and a 3-9x40 scope already installed. I know he paid $950+ in 1996, and he's only put about 25 rounds through it. At $500 I don't care how much of an overkill it is, I can't pass it up!

Jesse

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom