Area 100 moisture

mlchaser

Buddy and I drew area 100 for elk and will be heading out there soon to scout around before the archery season. Pretty excited for the opportunity. Just wondering on what winter/spring moisture has been compared to drough years of past? We are in western NE and while winter was slim on moisture, had a late spring with some snows and recent storm rains and more grass and sage growth than usual for mid-June here. Appreciate any intel - should be a fun hunt - A LOT of ground to cover.

Thanks!

It has been a crazy year the snow came late but there was lots of it. Been a wet spring as well in fact it is snowing right now here in Pinedale. I would say that this is a wetter year than usual for sure. That clay down there turns to slop in a hurry when it gets wet which makes it almost impossible to get around in so four wheelers are very useful. Also you take five steps and your boots weigh ten pounds each.However, it is a very fun hunt and if you spend enough time out there there are some big bulls. I shot mine out there 4 years ago. My hip flexers hurt for a week afterwards because of that damn clay though. My best suggestion is get a good spotter and get up high and pick it apart you will be amazed how many elk you will see.

Appreciate the quick reply and great to hear. Hopefully makes for good cover and good growth. Had heard about the clay and was planning on bringing quads as well as chains for the truck. Had planned on definitely spotting from high as have been on antelope hunts in 90 and 61 and seen the elk out there.

How far did you see select bulls move in a day? Presumaby even without pressure they are traveling a good distance to water/bed each day in taht open territory...and guessing once the pressure gets on, they can get on the move quickly.

Thanks

I was watching one particular bull throughout the year and i could usually find him in the same general area. While i was hunting however they were moving around a lot. During bow season they would move anywhere from 5-10 miles in a general circle. but during rifle season they would just pack up and move and sometimes go 15-25 miles at a time. They seemed to congregate in certain places and draws though. Feel free to message me with any specific questions.

I had never have been out there before and a friend of mine has been ranting and raving about how wonderful it is to hunt elk out there. So we went camping the other day, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. We camped on Steamboat mountain and we woke up with 2 inches of snow and 28 degrees in the middle of June. We did see lots of elk. I figured out why it is so popular, not because of huge bulls, but because you can hunt elk like you hunt antelope, just drive around and until you find them. We did see bulls most will probably be in the 300-330 range.

>I had never have been out
>there before and a friend
>of mine has been ranting
>and raving about how wonderful
>it is to hunt elk
>out there. So we went
>camping the other day, Tuesday
>and Wednesday of this week.
>We camped on Steamboat mountain
>and we woke up with
>2 inches of snow and
>28 degrees in the middle
>of June. We did see
>lots of elk. I figured
>out why it is so
>popular, not because of huge
>bulls, but because you can
>hunt elk like you hunt
>antelope, just drive around and
>until you find them. We
>did see bulls most will
>probably be in the 300-330
>range.

You never know what the weather will bring in the mountains and it can snow any month of the year. I'd bet those bulls won't be so easy when hunting season comes around, LOL!

I would try to kill a bull on the bow hunt. A lot of the bigger bulls get really broken up in this unit, their antlers aren't as dense as mountain bulls. Many of these desert bulls will be one antlers by the rifle opener. Happy hunting. I sent you a pm.

PM back - thanks for the info and good call on the broken bulls. definitely will be trying to seal the deal with a bow!
Thanks!
Mark

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom