area 102 deer tag!

280ack

Well I just found out my buddy and I drew a area 102 deer tag. Time to start the scouting rituals! First time hunting the cowboy state, any places to start scouting would be greatly appreciated willing to trade info on Idaho and Colorado for deer or elk for your info on Wyoming. Thanks and good Luck on your remaining draws.

Congrats. Been applying for 102 myself for several years. Cannot give any info, since I hav not been in the unit hunting. Show up a few days early and scout and you should do good. Or iif you can make two trips or stay the whole hunt, they say the end of the hunt gets better as the deer start to think about rutting.

Best of luck and keepus posted.

Thanks for the info I talked with the biologist and he said should be a fun hunt but they need to get rid of the drought for antler growth. I will be praying for rain showers the next month.
hopefully I will be posting some trophy pics come October!

Rain has come to a screeching halt in Sweetwater County. No measurable precip since 3rd week of May. 102 was once a great unit and now it is crap. Worse than crap I live in RS and would not have a tag shoved up my @)#(*$ if I had room for two. It once was a very good unit(just 5 years ago). You'll see 100's of bucks but I would be shocked if you found a deer better than 170. If your happy with 20" 2-3 year old 4pts this is the unit for you. Deer have a hard time growing old due to the fact that there are lots of roads A bucks only hope and the reason why the unit used to be good is fewer tags. 400 is about 100 to many to keep a few big deer around for the next year. Good luck hope you can prove me wrong

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like its going to be a tough one, I will be trying my hardest to prove you wrong wish me luck. Where is good central location for camping, or is it just as easy to go from Rock Springs? I have a 4 wheel pop up camper that I hunt out of but would prefer to hotel it if its close enough. Thanks for the info.

You're in huntable country right out of Rock Springs.Utah state line is 50-60 miles south of town.Just depends on what you want to do.If you don't have to pull your camper too far,camping would be a better choice.JMO.

We haven't had any rain here for over a month now.No rain in the foreseeable future.Good luck on your hunt.

You could stay on the Utah side in Dutch John/Flaming Gorge Lodge and drive north for 20 minutes and be in Wyo hunting or you could hotel in RS and do the same from there.

Rooms and fuel would be cheaper in RS----it would be up to you to decide.

Robb

>You're in huntable country right out
>of Rock Springs.Utah state line
>is 50-60 miles south of
>town.Just depends on what you
>want to do.If you don't
>have to pull your camper
>too far,camping would be a
>better choice.JMO.
>
>We haven't had any rain here
>for over a month now.No
>rain in the foreseeable future.Good
>luck on your hunt.

You may be a great hunter but you suck as a weather man. It rained last night. ;-)

I'm not a great hunter,either!!I was fishing yesterday evening until dark at the Gorge on the 102 side.All it did was pi$$ on us a little on the way out.When I got home it acted like it wanted to rain some,and I suppose it was enough to wet the grass.I have no idea what it did down there after I was home.On a brighter note,the country still looks good from the rains we got in April and May,but we need some rain bad!Hopefully,it did rain good down there last night.BTW,that rain was not in the forecast,either!Now we have a spell of 90+ weather coming up.Too freakin' hot for me!

Packout-pm sent.

I don't think it amounted to much. I live orth of town and we got enough to get the dogs paws wet. I agree the country still looks in decent shape from earlier rains but that wont last. I suppose that is to be expected in a desert. My wife and I have 102 tags as well and are looking forward to a fun hunt together this year.

280ack, I found myself in the same position last year. Finally drew the tag I wanted but had no way of scouting or the availability to hunt with someone who knew the area really well. I decided that instead of stepping out with 399 other rifle hunters, in a new area, I would go at it with my bow. The bucks aren't nocturnal at the beginning of archery season so finding bucks is easier. Besides you probably only see 1 or 2 other hunters. After a week of hunting, I walked away with a 4 1/2hr stalk, a nice 4X4, a good story and what I feel was a quality hunt in a decent deer unit.

Thanks Montanahunter, that's what I'm planning also. I will be there every weekend until I get one or hunt the whole rifle. labor day weekend is the opener so that give me an extra day off. I will keep you guys posted thanks for the info.

AWESOME Montanahunter!

Exactly what I plan on doing with my 8 Wyo deer points....

102 archery, Not even intrested in the rifle part of the hunt.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

i am no longer a resident and will now never draw the tag. send me a PM and I will point you in the right direction.

Thanks everyone for the help if I missed getting back to anyone yet let me know you guys are great.
Luke

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom