Area 17 scouting??

wrenchN86

Hey guys new to the site and first year drawing tags in Nevada. Hunted California and Oregon previously. My wife and I both have tags for early 17 bucks. I have been in the area before, use to work in Round Mountain, so familiar with Smokey valley and Reese River area. Was wondering if anyone had been out there in last month or two and seen anything. I know water will be a huge issue out there. I was thinking Peavine/Arch dome area?? Sheep trough?? Not looking for the easy answer, just wanted to see what anyone has seen. Headed out this weekend to scout. Thanks guys

You'll see deer if you go up Peavine into the wilderness area. I would also look to the west of Peavine as well. There are a lot of springs/seeps between Peavine and Ledbetter. Google Earth is your friend. Have fun in some beautiful country.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Thanks for your reply sagebrush. Didn't make it out there today like I wanted to. Will let you know what I find this weekend.

Here are a couple of area 17 bucks I've scouted this summer.
5394image.jpg

3354image.jpg

732image.jpg

Good pics Chad262, wouldn't be sad to take any of those back home with me. Country doesn't look too rough from pictures. I imagine they were a ways up huh. Thanks for the reply bud.

Ya they are up high. If you are willing to hike a little and spend a lot of time behind some glass you will find some nice bucks.

It's sad to see what 17 has become. I hunted that unit every year growing up. It wasn't uncommon to see 15+ bucks a day if you hiked the ridges away from the roads. Our best day was 34 bucks with a few over 180 but being the bad shot that I was at 13 years old I wasn't able to hit one that year. Then if we were lucky to get a couple feet of snow it wasn't uncommon to see the camp sites full of bucks hanging in the trees. Now they have left over tags every year and the fish and game still won't reduce tags. Hadn't hunted that area for awhile and decided to archery hunt it with my dad a few years ago. A week of hard hunting and 1 140" buck is all we were able to spot. There's still bucks there but not like there was 10-15 years ago.

wrenchN86,
I just got back from 5 hard days of Muzzleloader hunting. Feel free to shoot me an email and we can connect. Shoot me your # and I will give you a call... Or email me and I will give you my #.
Email: [email protected]
I will happily share with you what I saw and experienced.
That is really big,tough country! This was my third time hunting the unit. Both other times were rifle hunts and I will say for all readers that the #'s are way down in this unit from my hunting experience in 2006! Not sure why?
Water is not an issue as best I can tell.
Good luck on your hunt if I don't hear from you!
Rando

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom