Area 23 elk hunt

go4steelhd

I was thinking of putting in for area 23 this year. I have enough points to draw and was going to put in my girlfriend for an anterless tag. Has anyone hunted this area? It seems to have alot of public land in places. My hopes for the hunt would be to shoot a 5 point or better and get the girlfriend in on some cows. Any advise on were to start scouting. Any help would be appricated.

Thanks

I thought about sending in for this unit last year but chose to apply for a different unit with less private land issues. The success rate seems pretty good but living 1000 miles away I wouldn't be able to scout out the boundrys and stuff except for a couple days before the hunt. So i wussed out and put in for a different unit , did not draw and like everyone else it seems an still sitting on my max points wondering what to do. If you live close enough to scout I think it would be worth checking out IMO.

Your right about 23 having a lot of mixed private and public. If you ask anyone from Casper about that unit they will tell you that the elk generally get pushed onto 1 or 2 of the large private ranches that doesn't allow hunting.

I also thought about this unit, but got the same answers. Below is straight from the WY fish and game.

"Unfortunately, one large ranch within this DAU provides complete refugia for the vast majority of this elk
herd throughout most of the hunting season. Habitat conditions have traditionally been better on this ranch than on surrounding
lands within the Rattlesnake Hills and there is virtually no hunter access. When elk occasionally leave this
property and are available to hunters, they promptly return once they have been shot at."

Is this ranch called Q Creek then. Has anyone hunted on q creek?
Thanks for the quote from the fish and game that will help me make my choice.

Happy holidays

elkocd is right. Unit 23 is the Rattlesnake hills. Q Creek is farther south and east in the Shirley Basin/Shirley Mtn area.

Another thing that makes 23 tough is that the elk herd up big and early. Usually one or two bunches w/ 3-400 animals from late summer through late spring. Usually on the Diamond Ring.

How does a unit have that high of a success rate with so many private land issues. Are these hunters more than likely paying tresspass fee's? Eastmans say's the unit is 65% public with good access and over 38,000 acres of W.I.A.'s. I'm just curious because I was thinking of maybe trying this hunt in a couple years.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-10 AT 05:41PM (MST)[p]I found some private access so we decided to go for it. We ended up putting in as a party of four with max points for the special draw so we will get all the special draw tags or none. Come on WY I need a tag.

Even though 65% of 23 may be public land doesn't mean that all the public land is decent elk habitat and where the elk will spend time during the hunting season! Most of the best elk habitat in 23 is on private land and a lot of the public land does not have an elk track..especially once the season opens!

the dimond ring holds most of the elk in the area but there is a few that go to the farm feilds by alcova. the access to the diamond ring is now controlled by SNS outfitters from what im told now so u mright talk to them about access this year

moseley middleton

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-10 AT 12:41PM (MST)[p]So I think we blew it on this. Just came to me that since there are only 4 tags and we are 4 then we really only have one chance to draw. We would basicly have to draw the first tag to have a chance since after the first tag is drawn there would be only 3 left and we can't draw them. Does this sound correct? Can you change you WY entry after it has been submitted?

Never mind... I figured out how we can change our app. entry online.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-10 AT 12:37PM (MST)[p]Wyoming will still give your party all 4 tags even if only one is left in the quota. Thats their policy.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom