Area 231 noob

N

NVNative

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-13 AT 01:47PM (MST)[p]Hello guys,

Finally took my hunters safety course and after 3 years of trying, I finally pulled a tag in area 231 for rifle mule deer. I've been in that area a little bit and i will be headed up there this week for scouting, but was looking for any help anyone is willing to share. Having two babies makes it hard to get out of town very often.

I have a 2 wheel drive pickup truck so I can't do anything too hard, but I am willing to hike in with no problems. Where would be a place to start that hike? Better to start on the west side of Mt. Wilson and drive up to the vortac station and hike east or drive up past Eagle Valley res. and take the Mt. Wilson scenic byway?

Any tips on roads and where to begin scouting would be appreciated.

I myself have not hunted this area but try every year to pull a tag. If it were me, I would start of by calling the biologist and ask them. I have done this before with my last few tags and they were very helpful and gave me some great info.

Good luck!

Thanks for that idea. I called the biologist for that area and left a message. No return call yet. Anyone else with some tips or places to avoid would be much appreciated for a new hunter.

8214buck.jpg

Here is a 4x4 we saw this weekend scouting. Honestly we saw a lot more elk.

Does anyone know of a map showing the boundaries of Spring Valley State Park? I have googled it and cannot find one. I plan on calling the park tomorrow, but wondering if anyone has any info on this. We talked to 3 rangers today and they gave us 3 different answers to where the park boundary is.

Mt. Wilson and Whiterock hold quality bucks. Really thick juniper country in certain parts. Hard to hunt which is why that area has great trophy quality. GL

Also dont sleep on area around Echo lake and around rainbow canyon. The fields over there hold many deer. The does are there and so are the bucks. Also this area doesnt require 4 wheel drive for the most part

We scouted north of the park on the west side of the valley. We drove up to Reed's summit. Seems like good areas although we didn't see much. Saw a lone elk doe on road up to Reed's. Drove up to the top on Wilson. Looks like a possibility, didn't see any. Guessing its still too warm out and the bucks are all still laid down until way after dark. We did drive down to Echo and Rose Valley and looks like another possibility. I don't know where Rainbow Canyon is. Where's that?

>We scouted north of the park
>on the west side of
>the valley. We drove
>up to Reed's summit.
>Seems like good areas although
>we didn't see much.
>Saw a lone elk doe
>on road up to Reed's.
> Drove up to the
>top on Wilson. Looks
>like a possibility, didn't see
>any. Guessing its still
>too warm out and the
>bucks are all still laid
>down until way after dark.
> We did drive down
>to Echo and Rose Valley
>and looks like another possibility.
> I don't know where
>Rainbow Canyon is. Where's
>that?

So where abouts did you see this elk??? :)

Z, Check your private messages, although I can't figure out how to read private messages after I've already sent them.

Scouted a bit more and have a couple spots picked out, but still didn't see much. Any last minute tips for me in this area for a first timer?

Hi! I'm Hogmover's girlfriend with my first chance to hunt - ever. We'll be in 231 for muzzleloader. Will you share where you saw some Elk? It'll be the hunt of a lifetime for me! I'm excited, but don't know where to begin. Thanks!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom