Area 24 Elk

hk3m

Well, I have posted on this before. I will be hunting this area this year by myself. If I get one I will probably be getting it out by myself also. I will dry camp somewhere in the hunting area. Any suggestions on where to do that? Since I am by myself, I will probably do the gutless method. May bone it out depending on how far from road I get it. Anyone know of a game processor in either Rawlins or Rock Springs? Do cell phones work in the area? Where would be the best area to get diesel fuel? If I come dry in my trailer, is there anywhere to fill my trailer up with water? Any other info would be helpful. I have hunteed in Wy for deer several times in the past in Area G, A and drew 101 in 2009 if anyone would like to trade info. PM me with any info you are willing to share.

Thanks

Harold

I'm not familiar with the area to answer your questions on the unit itself, but you had better get plenty of fuel and water in Rawlins before you head up there, as there isn't much of anything anywhere else for supplies and you may want to take extra of both to be on the safe side.

Definitely fill up in Rawlins. The closest to refuel will be an expensive station in Muddy Gap or off to Lander to the west. At one point, Jeffrey City had a pump, but I didn't see it last year.

There is a nice rest area/stop deal near Sweetwater Station (not sure what it is doing there) where 135 Ts with 287. I am not sure how much water you need or if there is an option to fill up there, but you might want to look into it.

I just googled it. Check out this link for a map and not much info on Sweetwater Station Rest Area (#33):

http://www.dot.state.wy.us/files/co...rs/Rest Areas/2011 Web rest area brochure.pdf

I would call Wyoming Tourism or somebody to see if there is water there.

If you need a place to crash for a night or some good food or the weather gets you or you get your elk...I would head towards Lander.

Cell phone is hit and miss. There is a processor in Rawlins right off I80 next to Wildlife Taxidermy you can see it from the interstate just east of town. If it was me and I was on I80 I would get everything I needed in Rawlins, food and fuel. Once you leave Rawlins your on your own. Muddy Gap is just a high priced 7/11 type store $$$$

I have had good cell reception on the other side of the road after you clear about 7200'. I Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter will fill a 5 gallon container pretty quick as far as water goes and the ground water in a lot of that area is excellent higher up. Independence Rock has one heck of a restroom area as does that rest area already mentioned.

Pat C.

I have had good cell service in elk unit 24/ antelope64 in the past. As long as you were not in a canyon you could get out. I have a.t.t for a carrier..

I'll be up there for the first week of the hunt. I might be going solo also. Maybe I'll see ya up there. Good luck, hope ya find the big one!
Dave

Was there last week looking around. Lots of country. Looking forward to nest few weeks. Thanks for all the replies and info.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom