Area 24 Mule Deer

Greetings Nevada Monster Muleys hunters!

So the stars aligned for me this year and I drew an Area 24 mule deer tag (Oct hunt). I have received two brochures, so far, for guided hunts of this area...while this is super tempting, I do not have the funds for such a hunt and will have to DIY it. I'm sort of familiar with the area (not hunting wise), but am eager to glean whatever information I can before hunting this fall. I'm still young and fit, so a more strenuous hunt is definitely alright with me. I also have an ATV if the roads turn bad (i.e. washouts or slick from rain).

I would very much appreciate any info fellow hunters that have hunted this area before can provide. Feel free to PM me, if you don't want to publicly share info...I get it.

Please help me with the questions below:

(1) Conundrum #1...Should I use my time to hunt early (Oct 5-15) and focus on summer routines...OR...hunt later (15-31st) and try to catch them in the fall shuffle?

(2) Are the Clover/Delamar/Meadow Valley wilderness areas worth the effort to get away from the road hunters? Or, should I just stick to the state line?

(3) Obviously burn areas are important, how many years past burn, is the best time to concentrate on them? How do you find out where these burn area are?

(4) Should I invest in a mnt. lion tag? Is there a decent chance having an encounter?

(5) I heard this unit is pretty cut-throat with guided/outfitted clients shooting deer out from under other hunters? Is this true from your experiences, or is this some other non-guided hunter with poor morals?

(6) I'm hoping that just getting away from the roads will help with the previous issue...Is that realistic?

(6) I hear Cooper Munson is the NDOW biologist for Lincoln Co. How hard is he to get a hold of via phone? Does he provide valuable information, or are they just cookie-cutter answers (may depend on the question)?

Again, any information is appreciated from my fellow monster muleys fans out there.

Thank you in advance & Cheers!

Cooper is a super cool dude not sure how much info he's obligated to give out but most biologist give a general idea where to find animals.

I would hunt the 1st and last week at a bare minimum , the 2 best bucks I know of from last year were without a guide, I had 2 lions on camera from june through oct. and never saw one during the day, I saw 2 hunters in 25 days there will be an incredible amount of country that will not get hunter this year or the next maybe never, I hunted only one of the five mtn. ranges, I never was any were that there was not deer sign from the desert floor to the top.I love to hunt deer so I did not hire anyone to do it for me,but I had nearly unlimited scouting time and the hole season to hunt.my sites were set for 200 plus and of 2 that size I never got that chance no regrets. good luck.

I've talked to cooper about elk in the area, and he is awesome. Call ndow and they will pass his number. As far as muleys, I've seen a bunch in 242 beaver beaver dam state park

9389720161028000159.jpg

Thanks folks for all your help! I did chat with Cooper and he gave me "some" information, though I know he cannot give out specifics. I was able to harvest a great 193" typical buck on Oct. 26 while doing a solo back-country, camping trip. I had first spotted this tank in early September on a scouting trip and was able to find him again in the same general area. This fall has been so much fun discovering the area, finally seeing some deer, and then really getting into them.

I will confess, this is my first ever mule deer and first time I have finally got to hunt mule deer (I move a lot all over the country...1st time in mule deer country)! I feel truly blessed.

Thank you MonsterMuleys.com & forum members!

P.S. In the future, if any folks draw this unit, I am happy to share the information I have gained from my time there. Cheers!

Awesome buck! You might want to re score that buck he looks better than 193" looks close to 190"net? Congrats!

What a buck!! Congrats. Gonna take some work to top him on future hunts. Great job.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Congrats on a monster buck! You have set the bar pretty high for the future. Can't wait to see your next one?

Just saw a monster 3x3 down there yesterday on the highway heading north he was all over a doe.

What an incredible first time muley adventure!
Taking a buck that you scouted earlier is always an added bonus and doing it solo says So Nv Lady has some serious "Moxy"!
Congratulations on a buck of a lifetime!

Congratulations on a beautiful buck. I hunted 24 also this fall. Found some great bucks early but could not find them during the rifle. Just curious as to where you ended up and you did it.

Congrats on a great first buck. And the way you did it was also super. Your picture is also very well done. You know what you are doing!!

Congratulations for what sounds like a super hunt. I'm impressed that you got it done solo and were fortunate to take such a fantastic buck. Very happy for you, way to go.

I have a muzzy tag for area 24 this year. I have had no time to scout. I camped there when I was young but that's about it. I have next week off so that is good. Please share any info you can! Thanks
[email protected]

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom