Area 25 Moose

atnvol

How hard is it to find a 125" Moose in area 25. I am not looking for a monster, just something that would make Pope & Young. Are they all ping pong paddles? What is the country like in 25? Can you spot and stalk from roads? Can you drive to where creeks cross the roads and walk the creek drainages or is it mostly private land? How difficult is it to get permission on private ground and can one pay a reasonable trespass fee? I am 58 y.o. archery hunter and want to DIY. Grateful for your knowledge. Regards, Mike

Mike,
I can answer a couple of your questions but not all of them.
The country is mostly willow, creek bottom, private land, off forest land.

It's not a difficult hunt and I have spotted some nice bulls from the road on several occasions.

I checked into the unit with the F&G a couple years ago and they said there is access with some landowners but not all.

I'm a NR so I don't spend as much time in the area as most guys. Perhaps someone could hop on here and help you a little more.

Zeke

Zeke is correct in his unit 25 analysis. However, the Green River bottom country (and tributaries )where most of the Moose are is leased up by outfitters. Thats why the draw odds are a little better than some of the other nearby units (like 10)where there are more Moose on public land.

I knew someone could shed more light on the unit than me.
That's good info for us Chipc.
I have enough points to draw a couple units in that area (maybe). My son drew in 24 (just west of unit 25) a couple years ago and shot a nice bull with his bow on the last day of archery season. It was exciting to call the bull into bow range for him. We were within a half mile of unit 25.

Zeke

ATNVOL,

I hunted this area in 2007. I shot a 42" Bull on day 1. It only scores around 128, but I was happy as we only saw ping pong paddles everywhere we looked. You will need to get permission from a landowner and the local Game Warden will send you a list of landowners that will allow you access. Some are free and some will charge.

I got lucky. I found a landowner just out of Pinedale along the Green River that allowed me to hunt a small piece of land. A local was supposed to have first choice, but he didn't show.

It wasn't much of a hunt with a rifle.

I lost the guys full name, but he was very old then, so I don't know if he is still with us. All I remember is that his first name was Harry.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jim

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom