Area 30 Compared to 40/31

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I was checking draw odds for unit 30 and then compared the draw odds for the surrounding units. Unit 30 requires a minimum of 8 points to draw the third season where it takes half of that to draw both units 40 (south of 30) and 31 (due east of 30). What is so special about unit 30 that makes it such a harder draw? I appreciate any info you can offer.

Steve

Search Unit 40 on here and you'll see tons of posts, mostly from elk hunters. The best is on private. I counted the sections of public one time and I recall 16 was what I got. 16 square miles and half of the tags huntin it. Not good. BUT if you're willing/able to pay an outfitter or tresspass fee ($$$) it may be better than 30.

30 is almost 70% public land. 31 is about the same. 40 is about 90% public from what I can see.

Maybe my numbers are off?

Also 30 has 47 tags, 31 has 153, and 40 has 115. My guess is the point difference is because 30 has way less tags.

I would think the more public ground, the harder it would be to draw. Post 2 and 3 kind of say the opposite of one another. I get the number of tags thing but jumping from 4 points to 8 points seems a bit extreme for draw odds. Any more input? Thanks.

txhunter??

Steve

Like I said my numbers could be off. I only spent about 5 minutes looking at the land issue and the tag numbers.

Access issues in 40 make it easier to draw. Unit 30 is managed for higher quality deer than GMU 31, fewer permits higher buck to doe ratio.

Dax

Is there a huge difference between second season and third season in unit 30? I appreciate the info so far guys!

Steve

Unit 30 is managed for better quality deer and there are some nice ones,3rd season is the rut and the bucks get stupid but myself I dont think they get a extra 4 years of waiting stupid.Go 2ed season, glass long and hard they just won't be in with the does as much.Unit 40 has a lot of public land but most of it is north of DS road and most of that is not great deer country, better for desert sheep,steep,deep,lots of cliffs, very little water.The south half of the unit has a great deal of private land.31 has good deer numbers but not as many big ones as 30 because of the higher hunting pressure,but for a 0 to 1 point draw it's not too bad but it would be a better muzzy hunt also 0 to 1 point draw, only 115 tags compaired to 275 rifle, something to think about. I hope this helps good luck have fun.

dirty, the areas worth a crap to hunt deer/elk in 40 are mainly private. about 80% of huntable stuff is private with 20% public. there still are some great animals in these units. 31 has some really big ranches that have a ton of good animals on them that are not huntable. there is a lot of public in 31 also but a lot is landlocked by private and not huntable IMO. jd

JD, when I looked at the tag numbers and percent of public private I saw why it takes more points for 30. Half the tags. Also I am never going to hunt any of those units I was just trying to give the OP as much info as I could just to help him.

I appreciate the info guys and I see both points regarding number of tags and public/private land issues. No need to argue. Thanks again.

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-10 AT 10:30PM (MST)[p]Sorry I wasn't trying to argue if thats how it looks. I am sure JD knows the land issues way better then I do.

no prob, i wasnt trying to argue either. just trying to help out, cuz im sure there is a lot of folks on here who also have a great deal of info on other areas that could be of use down the road. thanks guys

I have been considering 30 also with a sloght chance at drawing 2nd season with 3 points. We have hunted 31 several times during third season and like it and have killed some descent bucks but have been building points the last three years. Is the country pretty much the same in 30 as it is in 31 with a mix of sage, cedars and rim rock cliff canyons? The weather can be a gamble for 2nd season but we have had it be 70 degrees midday during third season too so you can't outguess mother nature. I know I don't want to wait 5 more years for a third season tag in 30.nwhunter

as u know nwhunter, hunting these units depends on the weather. 30 is a lot like 31 (same country just more huntable public) but if there is no cold weather the deer will be hard to find. 40 third season might not be a bad idea with 2 points (would probly draw if resident). this year with the hunt pushed back a week that third vs the second is gonna be really good.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom