Area 32 Elk

wyowalleye

Myself and a couple friends were lucky and drew resident area 32 elk tags. I had an area 102 deer tag a while back so I am familiar with the unit somewhat. I know of the obvious areas for elk (pine mtn, etc) but am heading there in two weeks for a scouting trip and was wondering if anyone had any other advice. I am used to hunting elk in dark timber of the snowies so this will be a bit different for us. Is the best tactic for this area to just get high and glass for elk? I hear a lot about the elk moving south into CO after rifle opens, how true is this? When we had the 102 deer tag we saw plenty of elk but didn't hunt around Pine mtn much at all. We will hunt both archery and rifle seasons. Any advice is appreciated!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-15 AT 06:21PM (MST)[p]First of all congrats on the tags, luck wasn't with me in the elk draw this year....I have hunted it 4 times in the last 10 years, the absolute BEST advice I can offer is if it is raining, snowing or any kind of other precipitation, be prepared for some of the nastiest road conditions you've encountered....whole area is that way, 4WD doesn't even help most of the time....for more specific info, you can pm me, may be able to help you out some...here's my last bull from there....

4954img0229.jpg

Nice bull, especially with a bow, and that area sure doesn't look like normal elk country does it!

>Nice bull, especially with a bow,
>and that area sure doesn't
>look like normal elk country
>does it!

Yeah, for sure never know where you'll find them!!

Great Bull! Hopefully we can find a few like that. I can attest to the roads from when we had our area 102 deer tags down there. We will definitely have chains and the necessities should the weather turn. PM sent

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom