Area 5 sheep tag :)

wysongdog

Well after 24 years of applying I finally drew a sheep tag!! I drew area 5 west of Meeteetse. I have been up in the country a few years ago riding. I have the livestock to pack in and get back into the back country. I am going head up in August and go after him with my bow. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Bryan

Congratulations on the tag. Saw some nice rams after the season was over. Biggest was just over 3/4 curl, heavy and broomed off. Should't be many hunters up high in Aug. just grizz. You won't believe the grizzlies up high in the slide rock so steep a human wouldn't be able to walk! Eating moths, I guess. You're in for a great hunt and adventure.

Well done!
I hope you have a fantastic hunt...and then share your success with us.
Good luck,
Zeke

Bryan, Congrats!!!

I too, have an area 5 tag so, I guess we're linked in some way this year. I plan on using a bow, hope that works out for you.
i've decided to hunt the last half of Oct. I know its a little bit of a gamble but its the opinion of a few good sheep guides that it would be friendlier to a bowhunter later in the season.

I stuck here in Pa. so, I will only be dreaming of whats going on out there from mid Aug to mid Oct. If you would, I would love to here hows things are going for you when you get out there.

It sounds like its a great place to take one with a bow.

Good Luck, please keep us posted,

nocwalker, aka Bill V.

Hey you lucky guys,

look into going up Jack creek trailhead. i think its in the boundary line going off the top of my head.

But be prepared to hike/ride in some miles.

I: really suggest not to push it to the end of the month. in 2012 i took a guy up and the sheep timbered up. seen hundreds of ewes/lambs but the rams would timber up. it was a tough year for every one. They timber up some years and right out in the open other times. its a hit/miss. Late October can bring in some nasty storms and then you got elk hunters. i really really really suggest September to be safe with time. a snow storm can push them to a whole another mountain range overnight.

i don't know how many rams hang on Phelps mnt or Francs peak but i have seen a lot of ewes when im working in the oil field which is right at the base of the mnt.

Good luck. i suggest calling people that have had the tag before and ask them questions on what trails to hit. you may be able to call the game and fish for that info. ask to speak with the game warden that runs that area

good luck

Yeah I've been up in the Thourofare in Sept and had to beat feet out to beat a wicked snow storm. We are going to go in August and start bowhunting. Then come out the 1st week or 2 of Sept. Then head back in the middle of Sept. and stay till I kill out :). We are going to go up next weekend to start riding. Going to go in Jack creek on the high water trail and look around. And then take another day and go up wood creek, since I've never been up there.
Thanks Bryan

Not really very local lol. I live in Baggs. I used to hunt up deer creek and a lot on the Dubois side until my partners son was killed in an accident in Oklahoma. And then he quit hunting, so I've been hunting other places that I didn't have to pack in. How much snow is still up there in the hills? Since I'm taking the kids next weekend we'll probably only ride 4-8 a day depending on the kids.:). And we have friends coming into jake's this weekend for the mule days we are going to spend some time with:)

Still got a lot of snow up high. but you should be able to hike up a ways though. lot of horn hunters have busted the trails to.

Bill, that's awesome congrats!!! Are you going by yourself or guided? Have you ever been out here? What are you doing for maps? I just ordered topo maps from mytopo for area 5 for bighorn sheep. IMO the best place to get maps from these guys are top notch. Always improving I've been buying maps from them for probably 10 years now( or as long as I can honestly remember lol)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-14 AT 01:08PM (MST)[p]Bryan, I never exepcted to get this chance to hunt a ram, unless I get super lucky AGAIN this will be my only chance. We always said, " we'll do it DIY if one of us every gets a lightning stike and draws". I'm way behind on PTS --everywhere. We'll, after getting the tag and talking to a bunch of sheep guys, I decided to hire a guide. Not only have I never been to that area, I've never been to Wyoming. I didn't want to feel like I was waisting the tag, since there is so many guys that would give they're right arm for a tag like this. That and the honor of this oppertunity is not lost on me.

I'll be hunting with Shoshone Lodge outfitters and Josh Martoglio. Thanks for the map info, I'm usually the guy that gets every map you can imagine, I probably won't go too crazy since I contracted help. I usually know an area pretty good before I ever step foot on that land. Been trying to get a scope on it through google earth with little success so far. I know that we'll be hunting "where the sheep are" so, that doesn't help right now for learning a particular area from here.

Wish I was out there to walk around some, scope out a couple for me. It would make me more excited than I already am--if thats possible.

Enjoy your scouting trips and Good luck man!!!

nocwalker

Noc....good choice, Josh is top notch, one of the best sheep guides for areas 1-5.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Kilbuc and nfh.

Yes , I believe that Josh is as good as it can get, felt comfortable talking with him right from the get-go. There was another I felt the same way about too. I had an incredible bunch of guys helping me to hone in on a guide, they were networking out to others and feeding info back to me, I can't thank them enough.

Now nfh, you just can't leave it like that!! :)

You have to give me a little more to work with, I get the feeling I can have some fun with this !

I won't make him mad, will I ?

Thanks nocwalker

No nowalker. its no big deal.

im glad you didn't use John Porter. another good guide is K-Bar-Z. I know a guide that knows his sheep better than these other guides.

nfh, no problem, Meade was the other that I felt very comfortable with.

anyway, I need to know about the water/boat deal, I think I can use that info to have a little fun.

nocwalker

Got up there over father's day weekend with the kids. Didn't really get into actual sheep country. But the kids and I had a good ride on the mules:) Love being in the saddle in the mountains. Went up the Wood river as I've never been up there. Was going to go to Kirwin but the road was muddy and hadn't been up it so played it safe. Picked up my new mule and a draft mare for the wife so can't wait to get them riding and packin on:) The great thing about having this sheep tag is gives me a great excuse to upgrade some of my packing equipment lol. Then come to find out me and 2 other friends drew area 62 elk tags to go with the sheep tag. Which will be great so they can hunt while they are up there with me :) Now to get healed back up :)

And the fun begins.......
Aren't great tags nice? They force us to do things and go places that we've not done before. Gets us out of our comfort zone!
Keep having fun wyosongdog and be safe,
Zeke

Don't get disappointed if you don't see sheep right now. The mountains just got some good snow. they are still moving up to higher grounds. Its only june. They will get in their comfort zone end of july to early august..

Yes sir that is so true. A guy has to love a challenge, stopped in Cody yesterday at g&f and got the sheep harvest data for last 5 years. Now to start plotting it all on my maps and making a plan. And hopefully the next scouting trip 7/20ish the snow will let me get a little higher into the mountains. Start getting a feel for the land and how out of shape I actually am lol.

Man, you guys are really digging in out there. I'm gonna go nutz sitting here in Pa. Wish I was out there so I could climb around in them mountains too.

Anyway, That data you guys are talking about, Is that kill locations etc... ? if so, I'm gonna have to get those and atleast do some plotting to feel involved.

nocwalker

nowalker,

When a sheep or mountain goat is taken you have to go to the game and fish within so many hours so they can age and plug the sheep. Then they will ask what where you killed it. like what mountain and drainage. They also ask how many sheep you seen.

That is how they get the info

I honestly don't know what is listed on the website. But this info includes age of ram, days hunted, drainage killed, and gps coordinates. Seems like very good information, now just to organize it and utilize it :)

>nowalker,
>
> When a sheep or
>mountain goat is taken you
>have to go to the
>game and fish within so
>many hours so they can
>age and plug the sheep.
>Then they will ask what
>where you killed it. like
>what mountain and drainage. They
>also ask how many sheep
>you seen.
>
> That is how they get
>the info

my bad, not so many hours but last I knew it what was 15 days of the kill

I haven't hunted sheep up there but I lived in Meeteetse for 7 years. I just moved last year to Riverton. I would steer clear of Francs in August and September. I and some friends were going to climb Francs in August a few years ago. We got about 1000 yards from the top and there are a ton of Grizzlies up there that time of year. We counted 7 on one slope. Needless to say, we didn't try for the top. I know people I met that had sheep tags talked a bit about hunting sheep on JoJo up there.

grizzlies on Francs peak? Tell me it isn't so lol. Going to try to head up this weekend and get some riding in. Going to head up to Venus creek and start looking there possibly. Not real fond of having to compete with the outfitters tho :( Getting all the harvest data for the last 5 years into 1 spread sheet so it is more manageable.

Hit up Jack creek. Be sure to make sure your truck has no garbage in the back and that you have certified hay. I work in the 4-Bear oil field a lot and see game wardens/forest rangers all the time

And also plenty of bug spray for the horses. The horse flies/deer flies are very hungry.

Yeah it seems like the bugs are terrible everywhere this year :( Between the flies and mosquitoes the kids are staying busy spraying and brushing the mules constantly it seems :)

Great handle name, wysongdog!!! If it took you 24 years to draw the tag then I guess I only have another 10 years to go...

Best of luck to you on your sheep hunt and hope you get a biggun! Any thoughts or knowledge of unit 2 for bighorns? Since unit 5 is so difficult to draw I've been looking into other areas as an alternative.

Again, good luck and be sure and post some pics!

songdog

Back at you songdog :) I don't know anything about area 2 honestly but I will do some looking. I can't wait to get up there get to riding and scouting. I haven't ever even been sheep hunting before :) So gotta love a new challenge.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-14
>AT 01:08?PM (MST)

>
>Bryan, I never exepcted to get
>this chance to hunt a
>ram, unless I get super
>lucky AGAIN this will be
>my only chance. We always
>said, " we'll do it
>DIY if one of us
>every gets a lightning stike
>and draws". I'm way behind
>on PTS --everywhere. We'll, after
>getting the tag and talking
>to a bunch of sheep
>guys, I decided to hire
>a guide. Not only have
>I never been to that
>area, I've never been to
>Wyoming. I didn't want
>to feel like I was
>waisting the tag, since there
>is so many guys that
>would give they're right arm
>for a tag like this.
>That and the honor of
>this oppertunity is not lost
>on me.
>
>I'll be hunting with Shoshone Lodge
>outfitters and Josh Martoglio. Thanks
>for the map info, I'm
>usually the guy that gets
>every map you can imagine,
>I probably won't go too
>crazy since I contracted help.
>I usually know an area
>pretty good before I ever
>step foot on that land.
>Been trying to get a
>scope on it through google
>earth with little success so
>far. I know that we'll
>be hunting "where the sheep
>are" so, that doesn't help
>right now for learning a
>particular area from here.
>
>Wish I was out there to
>walk around some, scope out
>a couple for me. It
>would make me more excited
>than I already am--if thats
>possible.
>
>Enjoy your scouting trips and
>Good luck man!!!
>
>nocwalker

That's crazy I met Josh's brother Jordon at the Conoco Sunday morning as we were going up scouting with the kids. Seemed like a hell of a nice guy. Offered to help us out if we got our butts kicked trying it by ourselves. I thought that was way good of them.

Been scouting the past 2 weekends and flew the area so I could get a good lay of the land and see how it all tied in together....You know from the air it isn't that big but on pony back it's another story lol. Got I narrowed down to 2 areas that we are going to start with. Going in on West Timber creek up on top towards Francs fork and the east of Francs fork. Or going into Meadow creek and camp by the cabin and then hunt the tops of Francs and Jojo. Head up Wednesday after a absolutely hectic summer :)

Bryan, sounds like your haveing fun getting around up there. Thats pretty cool you ran into Jordan, I have not spoke to him, only his brother. I'm with Robb, maybe you could through a few pictures at us (please) :) Did a big long hike on the Appalachan trail this weekend,14 mile day hike. Not much I know for you western guys but pretty big for us back here.

Just put new strings and cables on the bow last night. Will be shooting it in and tuning her up! I went back to the high country as I just couldn't get the hang of the short axel to axel bow I was trying to shoot.

When are you hunting?

Good Luck to you Brother !!!

nocwalker

We just got back out of the high country. We fought rain and low cloud cover(7000') for 7 days...I can hunt in the rain if I can see but not being able to see sucks. Enjoyed some nice snow showers and breeze. Found a few groups of rams but none in that 7-12 year old range that I was looking for. We came out Monday afternoon as my brother had to head back to Laramie to college. So I went back to work yesterday and the rest of the week. And if I have a good week at work we will head back up Sunday. Only found 1 grizzly while we were up there, which I thought was really good :) I've spent quite a bit of time texting and talking to Josh and you've made a great call going with Josh. I think he's a top notch guy from all my conversations with him.

Thanks for the update Bryan. Glad to here anything (info) from the mountains. Yup, I believe I did good with my choice of Josh. I'm starting to stress some, been able to keep real calm all summer and now its starting to hit me.

Keep at it man, you'll get it done.

Good Luck.

nocwalker

Yeah its hard not to stress that's for sure but it's a kick a$$ time.
4165at&t_phone_261.jpg

2805at&t_phone_255.jpg

4710at&t_phone_254.jpg

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos2/8527172_(3).jpg
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos2/7811180_(3).jpg
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos2/9591196_(3).jpg

Yeah it was a little brisk. Didn't do any good this trip except get excercised lol. Had to come back to work for a couple weeks . Mules did great saw some new country and had a little extreme riding Monday and Saturday lol

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-14 AT 05:24AM (MST)[p]Holy Smokes on the snow and temps!
Geeze thats not normal is it?

Will that melt off or is that here to stay?

Thanks for the Pictures Bryan, Keep at it.

30 days and counting for me.

nocwalker

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-14
>AT 05:24?AM (MST)

>
>Holy Smokes on the snow and
>temps!
>Geeze thats not normal is it?
>
>
>Will that melt off or is
>that here to stay?
>
>Thanks for the Pictures Bryan,
>Keep at it.
>
>30 days and counting for me.
>
>
>nocwalker

No this isn't really normal. It's supposed to be back in the 70's in Cody this week. I'm fairly sure that all the snow will be gone by mid week as it was melting like crazy Friday and Saturday. Seems like the snow pushed everything down and then as the snow melted the game followed it back up. We didn't find any game in the snow but right on the edge of the snow in the dry ground we would find animals.

Teamhoyt.

Bryan must be in the mountains, I have not had a chance to contact him. Hopefully he'll have some good news.

My adventure starts on the 14th, I fly that day to Cody to get started.

nocwalker

I've been in the mountains elk hunting. Completed my sheep hunt last Tuesday:)!! Finally. I'm playing catch up right now but will try to post the story soon.

Good job. I was getting nervous for ya with season winding down

Great looking Ram your deserved it

Awesome Bryan, Congrats!!! man. He's a beauty, hope I get a chance at one like that.

That sheep was up in that snow? man it looks cold.

nocwalker

wysongdog,
Well done sheep hunter!
It looks like you paid your dues and were rewarded handsomely for it....finally.
That's a beautiful trophy ram!
Congratulations,
Zeke

good looking ram Brian!but you could have at least combed your hair for the picture! lol congrats and great job, sounds like you made the most of the tag.

Way to go wysongdog! We were all pulling for you to take a nice ram and you nailed it! Congrats to ya!!!

Ram-tastic buddy!

You did great and thanks for sharing with us all.

Anyone hear from Bill? and his hunt...great guy and very determined for sure.

Robb

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom