Area 6 or 7

Muleys24Seven

Debating on which area to put in for this year...the early archery hunt in area 6 or 7. Not looking for a hunt of a lifetime just a week in the high country, with very few or zero hunters, glassin a few bucks everyday and possibly having the opportunity to put a stock on >175" buck.

What area do you guys think would give me the best experience?

Thanks

I like area 7 and head up to unit 72 in the Elk Mountain Range.
I dont know about a 175 cause I havnt been up there in a couple of years. But the last time I was there where some 170's to 175's up there.

I muzzle hunted unit #7 a couple of years ago. When I was scouting for my muzzleloader hunt, it was during the bowhunt. I never say another hunter. Seen lots of bucks, with several being in the 170 +. But come muzzleloader time, I had 43 billion sheep right where we'd scouted and seen some great bucks. Nobody will ever tell me the sheep don't change things. I never seen one of the good bucks we had scouted again. It was sad.

Area 6, Independence Mtns. Maggie Summit, Jack Creek Summit, Lost Meadows, Mahoganies out of Mtn. City, Merritt Creek...a few areas to check out. I never hunted much for big ones, but did see some hawgs over the years. Once a bachelor herd of 7 mature bucks, another 11 bucks (biggest was a willow-horned 4x4)I loved the great terrain and its majesty as much as the animals I hunted!

Spent eight days in area Six during November, after the late deer season. I was with my oldest son , on an elk hunting trip. I could not believe all the giant bucks. The locals told us that they couldn't find the bucks during the season, but they were there after the the season was over. Some real giants, thanks, Brownie.

6 and 7 both have some good bucks in them. But if you want a 175+ I would go to 6. The bucks in 7 tend to be more crab clawed than the ones in 6. Most the bucks guys see are really 150-160 they are out there but definatly not behind every sage.

I hunted the late season in 6 this past fall. Great country and very few people and this was the rifle hunt. Never hunted in 7. My buck is posted in the mule deer forum. Well over the 175 you mentioned.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-10 AT 07:13AM (MST)[p]
I"M IN THE SAME BOAT.....6 OR 7 ??? EXCEPT I WANT TO HUNT ELK & DEER IN THE SAME UNIT SO I CAN GET TO KNOW THE UNIT BETTER (NOT IN THE SAME YEAR). I MOST LIKELY WILL GO ON HE DEER HUNT FIRST, AS I WILL HAVE 7 POINTS THIS YEAR. ARE THERE AREAS IN EITHER 6 OR 7 THAT WOULD BE GOOD FOR BOTH DEER & ELK ??? ONE TIME SHOT FOR ME....WOULD LIKE TO DO IT RIGHT.....THANKS FOR YOUR TIME............YD. (PM ME IF YOU LIKE).

If you go to 6 I wouldn't bother to hunt the west side.My son hunted there the last to years early rifle and it was very disappointing. Stay on the independence range from what we heard. Yukon pm sent about elk.

I have hunted both 6 and 7 I think area 6 is alot better than area 7 for deer and area 7 is better for elk. Hunted are 6 two years ago saw some great deer but was only able to harvest and average buck.

Area 6 has some great bucks, although NDOW decided to shoot off hundreds of does 3 years ago fearing they would die over the winter due to vegetation loss from the Winters Wildfire, That doe kill has drastically cut the deer population in area 6 and tags as a result as well, may be tougher to draw, I'm not as familiar with area 7.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom