Area 7 Overdrawn by 1200!

HunterHarry

Long Time Member
http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/WYWGFD/bulletins/bda17b

CHEYENNE ? Due to an error entering quotas for elk area 7 type 1, some resident hunters who were initially listed as being successful in the drawing for type 1 licenses were in fact unsuccessful while others who were listed as unsuccessful for Area 124 type 4 will be receiving licenses.

Drawings are conducted via a random number computer process and due to an error the quota for Area 7 type 1 was overstated by more than 1,200 licenses. For the 124 type 4 licenses there was no quota loaded in the system so all applicants who applied for that license type were listed as unsuccessful. Corrections have now been made and are now available on the Game and Fish website wgfd.wyo.gov.

Game and Fish fiscal division chief Jean Cole said the drawings for the two hunt areas were not conducted in error, the results published were in error. ?The same random numbers assigned in the drawing were used to re-evaluate the draw for these areas to publish the correct information.? Cole added that no licenses were issued and the errors were identified quickly.

The Game and Fish will be contacting all applicants who were affected by the inaccurate quota information to explain the inaccurate results initially published and how the revised results were determined.

The Game and Fish apologizes for any inconvenience this has caused to Area 7 type 1and Area 124 type 4 elk hunters.

Correct information was entered for all other drawings and license types and hunters can access their drawing information on the Game and Fish website wgfd.wyo.gov . (Contact: Jean Cole 307-777-4683 or Jennifer Doering 307-777-4517)

-WGFD-

Yep, as good as the WY G&F always is doing the draws, someone screwed up this time. Overall I think they do an excellent job and although there are a bunch of unhappy people today, I think we should cut them some slack on this one!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-14 AT 04:59PM (MST)[p]Yep, mistakes happen, but this was a big one for sure.

They corrected the draw and thats the important thing as far as the health of the elk herds in unit 7 are concerned, as well as what remains of the hunt quality in that unit.

I'm sure theres going to be some severe whining...with absolutely no thought given to the resource, as per usual.

I wouldnt trade a general tag for a unit 7 bull tag. IMO, 1200 resident hunters are better off.

I think they handled it the only way they could, give it to those who truly drew the tag. Mistakes will be made, that's life. The G&F gets a pass on this in my book.

A big plus 1 to all the above comments.
I feel bad for the hunters who thought they drew but I feel a bunch better for the resource and those who truly drew.
Wyo does a fine job and handled it correctly IMHO.
Zeke

I hope those two don't get a lot of grief. I've talked to both of them numerous times in my quest for draw information and they're great to deal with.

>A big plus 1 to all
>the above comments.
>I feel bad for the hunters
>who thought they drew but
>I feel a bunch better
>for the resource and those
>who truly drew.
>Wyo does a fine job and
>handled it correctly IMHO.
>Zeke

I agree completely.
My post was more a statement of fact than criticism of WG&F.
I could only dream of my fish & wildlife being as competent and hunter and resource friendly.

Re 124-4 and FG saying nobody drew. That's not right. I drew way back when and have the tag to prove it.

At least they handled it quick. If they would waitied 2 months some non-residents would have to get refund on on a lets say a outfitter depsoit. So I know I stinks to hear that noise but they handled it quick

+1 for Wyoming G&F. I am a harsh critic of G&F offices in general, especially for how NM handled their debacle this year. WY did it right; got in front of the problem, owned the problem, and solved the problem: fast and fair.
Yes, those that thought that they drew tags are dejected, but being friends with a couple of those affected, I have to say, they took it well.

Good job Wyoming! That's how fish and game departments should act and hardly any actually do. Anyone from Wyoming who feels their department isn't very good needs to live under the incompetent government nincompoops here in Idaho. You know, the ones that can't keep their web site from crashing and whose field officers come semi sewn to their truck seats.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom