Area 7 Sheep

sharpshooter

Hey guys,
I drew an area 7 sheep tag this year. Very excited to go. Just looking for some info/ideas and what to expect on the hunt. I am planning on going with an outfitter.
Just can't stop thinking about it... been a long time applying.
Just wanted to talk a little " sheep " with someone to help pass the time until the hunt.
Thanks.

Who are you hunting with? Dustin Childs? Seems like herd size and horn size is increasing in area 7. You are in for some awesome country and a fun hunt. Lots of sheep to look at.

Well Sharpshooter,
I'll talk a little ovis with ya.

I have no specifics in that area for you but generally you'll have tha same experience that we had in unit 3, some 26 years ago.

You'll eat too much, sleep too little, ride a horse WAY too far (ouch), glass until your eyes bleed and the hunt will end much too soon!

Your hunt will involve glassing and re-glassing the same area for hours on end. You'll want to get up and hike around more than you should but you won't. You'll end up hiking a ton but it will be to position yourself to glass even more country.

Once your ram is spotted, the stalk will be planned and executed. You WILL want to be in top physical conditioning to enjoy this part. You might have to hurry right along to beat the setting sun or the next storm front. You might even need to over-night but that's the price you have to pay for a great ram.

You'll have some weather days with the clouds too low to do any good. Roll with the punches (take a camera, a book and a great attitude).

After the hunt you'll be able to look back with fond memories, which will not dim over time (although you should always write every thought you have daily). You'll enjoy every second of it.

Last but not least, YOU'LL BE A SHEEP HUNTER and you may very well be inflicted with Ovis Pyrexia.

Zeke

PS: you will share your entire hunt with your MM brothers!

That area had a pretty good pneumonia outbreak this winter. I think they lost some 50% of their collared sheep. I know they cut tags back from 12 to 8. A good guide will probably find you a ram, but it likely won't be the type of hunt that Garth et al. described.

Zeke,

Thanks alot for that reply!
I cant wait for the hunt.Hope it turns out like you describe.
I will keep you guys posted as we move along.
Thanks Again.

SS

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-13 AT 09:51PM (MST)[p]sharpshooter,
Congratulations on the tag. I had an area 4 tag in O4 and it was a hunt of a lifetime.
Zeke is a salesman, in case you couldn't figure that out, but his little sales pitch is an awfully accurate description of my experience.
I hope you have as much fun as I did. My son went along with me to film and I killed my ram on his 18th birthday. He also caught the whole thing with the video camera and we still have fun watching that hunt.
Anyway, PM me if you want to talk more sheep or hop over on the sheep forum and share your good news. Lots of sheep hunters keep an eye on that thread.
Keep your shooting sharp!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-13 AT 10:58AM (MST)[p]LBH,

It was a great video too!
Your son probably caught the fever on that hunt. He's turned into quite the accomplished outdoorsman.....and a good man.

I'm actually pretty excited for sharpshooter. I hope he does well and shares his hunt with us.

Zeke

PS: birthday rams are kinda special. My brother shot a Wyo ram on my birthday. It was quite a celebration!

Zeke,
You "swamp rats" know how to party with a rack of ribs over the fire!
Why, I'd bet there was some warm diet coke involved too!
LOL

Good memories for sure.

So sharpshooter, if you have any kin that have a birthday during your hunt dates, drag them along. ha.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom