Argggggggg....Lost Binos...Need Inexpensive Replacement!

EROCK1313

Hey Guys....right now my stomach is in knots! My daughter was using my Steiner Predators when we were out scoutin and to make a long story short...she musta left the rear bag open when we took off on the wheeler cuz no more binos!

So anyways, I am stuck now only with only a couple weeks til the season starts and being out of town and $350 max to spend on new binos.......HELP!

What is the best option for my limited funds in 10x42 or the likes?? I was thinkin the Nikon Monarchs, but am not quite sure.

Thanks for any help in advance!!

~ERock

at least you lost them scouting, i know someone who lost a pair of Swarofski's at a baseball game!
I am sure that doesnt make you feel any better but can you imagine losing a $1000 piece of hunting equipment screwing around at a ball game?

back to the original topic...I agree Nikon or Leopold is you best bet for $350

Good luck on your hunts!

The Monarchs are a nice set of binoculars for the price. The Vortex diamondbacks are probably a better deal, but not quite as good of glass as the Monarchs.

Dryflyelk, don't take this personal, but...........

ZEN-RAY........? Really?

Do you have to sit in a Lotus position and wear lavender pajamas, to use them?

Do they come with dilithium chrystals?

Will they hypnotize whoever you are looking at?

I'm not saying these are not a good glass, but like a whole lot of imported stuff in the past few years; what retard marketing team comes up with these brand names?

I have a friend in the sporting goods business, trying to sell a line of shotguns made in Turkey, called "HUGLU". Are you serious?

WTF? This is America! Americans need names with real sounding stuff.

I don't care how good the product is, it just don't sound right!

"Huskemaw"......is that an Alaskan dog that whelps sled dog puppies?

Sorry to hear about that............My recommendations would be

Cabelas XT in Black or camo
Vortex - whatever you can afford
Monarchs
Leupolds

For the price,clarity,warranty,adjustability, the Cabelas are an awesome deal - $279. If you use them and don't like them just take them back, no questions asked! I currently have some Vortex 10x50 Vultures that are an exceptional deal @ $159 if you can find any. The Diamondbacks are ariound $249.

Good luck!!!

Nickman,

I don't care what the heck they are called, but I do know they are the best value in optics today, and it's not even close. There are a few others that are basically the same thing (promaster, hawke) so if that floats your boat then go for one of those.

Ten years ago the Nikon Monarchs were the best bang for the buck.

Five years ago the Vortex line was the best for the buck.

Today the Zen-Ray binos are the best.

Optically they are on par with the Euros. I have compared them with my swaros and my leicas. If you don't believe me, do some internet searches and see what people are saying, including noted experts like John Barsness. Birders are flocking to these things, pun intended.

It remains to be seen if they are as durable and last as long as the Euros, but they have a lifetime warranty so that eases that concern. But optically they are on the same level, to my eyes anyway. For the price to performance ratio they give you, they could be colored pink and called Froo-Froos and they'd still be the best thing going.

This gentleman will see an upgrade in optical performance if he chooses to go with the Zen Rays over what he had with the Steiners.

I am with Dryflyelk on the Zen EDs.

In a side by side I did with a rest and resolution chart, the EDs were decidedly sharper than the Nikon Monarch, Vortex Diamondback, and slightly better than the Vortex Razor,imo. They were just a step behind the Swaro EL. Doug at CameraLand carries the similar Promaster ED.

RR

thaat sucks about your lostr bino's.

but good for you on taking your daughter with you scouting. those times spent with your kids will make great memories, i remember my dad always taking me with him on his hunts, and i'm sure there were times he would have been better off without me there. no i can't wait till my 2 yr old girl and 8 month old boy can go with me all the time!

there are a few honest people left in this world, did you try and run an add in the local paper, i know, it's a long shot, but maybe an honest sportsman found them

I'd say go with Vortex. Good glass for the money, can't beat the warranty.

nrueh

Take a look at the Bushnell and the Minox. Call Jeff at Adventure Outfitters in Hillsboro Or. here is the number.

1-888-935-hunt.

Good luck,

Slide

So I found some Cabela's XT binos as mentioned above for $205 and some Nikon Monarchs for $230...My assumption is that the Monarchs are better, am I correct in this?

Also, how good are those Burris really?

~ERock

Monarchs are junk mine and my wifes are at the repair shop

for the 4th time same problem.Been there almost 2 months

Go with something else.I regret buying them

The Camofire deal was pretty hot!

Don't know that I would take the Monarchs, but I have the Nikon ATBs' and they are very good.

You have time, look at some of the others mentioned here, no point in going too cheap.

You will be pleasantly surprised (shocked really) at just how good the Zen-Ray, Promaster, Hawke binos are. Before shelling out $350 for something less impressive, you owe it to yourself to read the reviews on these new name binoculars and keep an open mind. When someone with the field experience & technical understanding of hunting optics that John Barsness brings to the table states that these binos are the real deal, it would be wise to at least check them out.

Try out the zen ray. If you don't like them you have 30 days to send them back. I think you will be surprised at how good they are. Not sure if they have any promotions going on still, but the price should be close to what you want to spend.

The Monarchs are a bit better... but one thing also worth considering is the way Cabelas takes care of their customer if they have any problems with a product with the Cabelas name on it. I am not sure what type of manufacture warranty Nikon roles with, but Cabelas guarantees their stuff for life, so if 5, 10, 20, years from now you have a problem with their eyewear you take it in, and they take care of it. Maybe not a decision maker, but a thought worth considering.

I have not tried the zen ray yet but a good friend of mine who uses leica said the zen ray are pretty dang good. If I ever loose my swarovski el's I will likely end up with the vortex 10x42 vipers. They are awesome for the money and the warranty is better than any.

Go to Zen Ray.com

They are unloading them at 50% off. They have a spotting scope with tripod for well under $200.

Nickman you are showing your ignorance. Huglu is a well known shotgun manufacturer in turkey. They make all of CZ's shotguns as well as many other well known brands including the Smith & Wesson line.

My ignorance? Really? Careful there Bob.......the "ignorance" is displayed by ones inability to read a post.

I never said it wasn't a good line, as a matter of fact, I own a Chas Daly 3.5 in mag and a Mossberg 20 ga, both made in Turkey.

I simply chastised the marketing concept. It is a weak name, along with some others, and will NOT do well in the American marketplace, regardless of quality.

>I have a friend in the
>sporting goods business, trying to
>sell a line of shotguns
>made in Turkey, called "HUGLU".
>Are you serious?

Off the post subject, but you might wanna check out those Huglu shotguns. My uncle brought me one back from his last deployment over there. A very quality made O/U and very attractive stock and scrollwork. Names that sound funny dont mean subpar equipment all the time...

Geez......now I have 3 illiterates challenging my statements.

Do you people have the same kind of problems in regular life?

Were you not afforded a third grade education, where you should have learned to read English?

Do you help your kids with their homework?...that's scary.....and I'M the one showing MY ignorance?

A mind is a terrible thing.....

Now watch, they will all come back on here and resort to name calling, is this a great site or what?

How come on every post someone has to get their feelings hurt and start talking about levels of edumecation?

Is that ethical?

Thank You everybody for your assistance! After weighing out all of the options, I decideed to try out the Zen-Rays. I will let you all know what my opinion of them is and hopefully they live up to the hype!

~ERock

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-09 AT 05:17PM (MST)[p]I recently bought a pair of Cabella's 10-42's from a local Las vegas pawn shop for $60.00.They came with a Bino-system harness.Seen them in the catalog for $ 247.00.Will let them go for a reasonable price .make an offer.

I recently used a pair of the Nikon's in 10x42 over in South Africa, and absolutley loved them. Sharp resolution, and ease of focus. They struck me as a very good binocular. Not quite my Zeiss or Swarovski's, but nowhere near the cost, either.

Erock, if you haven't gotten those Zen Rays then look at a sale that Cameraland is having on the Minox 10x42 BN BR Aspherical lens binoculars. These binoculars were discontinued last year but Cameraland still has a bunch of them. This is a $600.00 dollar pair of bino's being sold for $359.00. Minox was part of Leica and the two recently split in the last year or two resulting in some changes. These bino's are high quality and a deal you cannot beat with the great Minox warranty. I bought two pair just because it was such a great deal. Goodluck with what ever you decide. fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom