Arizona 2023 Elk Hnt

BIGOLMULEY

So I got really lucky and drew a random tag in Arizona this year. Definitely was not planning on that as I decided this was the year to use my Wyoming elk points. So I ended up with 2 elk tags a week and a half apart.
As stated before, elk is a difficult one for me to get out on my own (paralyzed on my right side) so I hired AZ Custom Hunts to take me. My guide had been down scouting a week before and asked if I wanted to come a little early. So I went 2 days before the season started. Bulls were still bugling and with cows, but they were also by themselves.
Opening evening a bull of a lifetime was spotted with 10 minutes of light left. More to the story, but I missed him. Maybe I got the fever ?
IMG_3185.jpeg
IMG_3184.jpeg

I was pretty sick about it, but we decided to hunt this bull only for 5 days. We saw many bulls that week. Some I probably should have shot. But we knew this bull was around. It was pretty thick oak brush and pines. Just glass and glass. We never turned him back up.
Did see a sweet tarantula.

IMG_3069.jpeg

Some other bulls seen

IMG_3187.jpeg
IMG_3188.jpeg
IMG_3189.jpeg

With 2 days left we decided to find a good bull. Well it rained that night and got cold and the bugling stopped and every bull pulled away from cows. We found about a 320 bull and I passed and a few smaller. But elk sightings were slim.
Last day morning we found 1 bull and zero cows. He was maybe 310 and I passed. With the realization I was probably not going to get a bull, we went back to the exact spot I missed the big bull. Nothing. With 30 minutes left in the season we picked up a few cows and a spike about 700 yards away. With 20 minutes left my guide Hunter, was just about to look over the other side when he said “Get in the gun and shoot that bull!”
We had previously set my gun all up in the tripod and had a chair for me to sit in. I found the bull at 475. We dialed and the bull took 2 steps forward. I had a 1’ opening on his shoulder. Shot high on the shoulder to anchor him and it did just that. We couldn’t believe that just happened! Hunter said it was a good bull, so I shot. Marked the bull on OnX and walked back to the truck. He called a bunch of people he knew.
Pretty dark when we finally got to him.

IMG_7062.jpeg
IMG_7056.jpeg

We were pleasantly surprised. Not the giant I had missed, but a great bull.
Hunting is hard for me now physically, but I can’t stop. Thanks for reading. Thanks to Hunter and all those that helped.
Jason “The Big Ol’ Muley”

Wow that’s a great bull I can’t imagine the one you missed congratulations. Made good use of the tag.

Congrats on the bull and even more congratulations on continuing to push forward on the hunt. Misses hurt but perseverance pays !

I think you ended up with a much better hunt, by not killing the first bull. Look at all the fun you and the guide got to have looking at other elk.
Not that it wouldn’t have been bad with the bigger bull though

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom