Arizona drawing

N

NDhunter

Was checking the Arizona regs tonight on the internet and have some questions. They give the drawing odds and success stats for deer and elk but not for sheep, are the odds that bad that maybe it it is just better not to know, but I have to ask. Also I was looking to see if you can put in for both RMB and DBS but couldn't find any info saying you can/can't. Those dang PDF files take a while to view. How much do you guys drop sending in for tags? I added it up yesterday and probably shouldn't have with my girlfriend in the room.

Semper Fi, Ed.

As far as I know you can't put in for both species, like you can in NV. You have to chose which you're going to go for.

Arizona gives you five choices. In the case of bighorn sheep the first two are all that really matters. Yes, you can apply for desert bighorn as first choice and rocky mountain as your second (or vice versa), but no you can't send one application in for desert and another separate application for Rocky.

I will second what TAM said. You can put in for both. Most guys I know don't put in for Rockies until they draw and kill a Desert. The odds in most units are more than 300 to 1 and go as high as several thousand to one.

Bret M.

I'm in agreement with the input you've rec'd above. I thought that you were asking if you could put in two separate applications. You can't so that is why I responded the way I did. Sorry if I confused or misled anybody.

So what species would you earn a bonus point on, your first choice I would imagine??

Speaking of sheep, I want my son to get a point, not a tag. Now, since we are nonresidents, if he applies for a unit with only one tag and no more than 50% of the tags can go to nonresidents in any zone, he will just get a point, not be disqualified for the draw, right?

Actually, no more than 10% of the tags can go to non-residence, but that rule only applies to units with more than 10 tags. I would not worry about getting drawn. It's about 1000 to 1. If you do get the tag, do whatever you have to in order to hunt cause it is likely the only one you'll ever draw.

Jeff
www.desertbull.com

Buying a non-resident license just to earn a sheep bonus point is probably a waste of money, unless you're also applying for another species where you actually have a chance of drawing a tag.

In Arizona, if you really don't want to draw a tag, but DO want to earn a bonus point, the only way I know to do it is for a group to apply for a hunt that has fewer permits than your group has applicants...for example 2 applicants in one envelope for a hunt that only has 1 permit.

Some of us tried to lobby the Game and Fish Commission to add a "Bonus Point Only" hunt option to each species. I don't know why they didn't institute the option this year, but they didn't. If you know you'll be away, say for military service, and still want to earn a bonus point, you take the chance that you will draw the tag under the current system, then not be able to use the tag.

Well, he is 10, and I really believe that a once in a lifetime sheep tag would be a waste for him now. Yes, I called, the one tag unit will get him a sheep point with no chance of drawing. I am doing an early bull unit 10 elk, and 10 antelope for him, I really just want points for him for those, but if he draws if he draws, cool, at least it is not once in a lifetime harvest. I do want to get him a December deer hunt, either one of the JR ones or a late Coues one. Plus, the license is cheaper for juniors.

In the sheep units that have only 1 tag, it can not be given to a non-resident. So yes that is a great way to earn a point and not pull a tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom