Arizona Elk Options 2014

300WBYMULES

Looking for some suggestions for an Arizona Elk Hunt 2014. I have 16 points as a non resident. I have been applying for early season rifle tags. I have never wanted to bow hunt, because I feel I don't have the time to do that sport justice.

I am wondering about a late season rifle hunt for next year. Or do I just wait it out at this point?

I have considered purchasing a bow, and starting it up for this opportunity, as it seems like it is the best hunt, aside from the early season muzzle loader and rifle hunts.

If anyone out there is willing to offer suggestions I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks

You can draw early archery 9 with those points (this would be my choice). You have way too many for a late hunt in my opinion.
I burned my points this year and will go late rifle from now on and will never again have more than 5 points. If you have loyalty and hunter ed points you won't dip below 2 unless you fubar an app.

Thanks for the advice WapitiBob.

I do have the hunter ed and loyalty point. I think you are probably right on the late rifle hunt with 16 points.
I may just need to dive into Archery hunting as a mid life crises type of deal. There's a lot worse things isn't there??

Congrats on drawing your tag this year. I hope it goes well.

...never looked that close myself, but you may want to check on some of the earlier muzzleloader hunts?

16 points is kind of no-mans land, glad I never even attempted to accumulate that many.

I picked a bow back up in 05 after giving it up for yrs. I bought a used Mathews off ebay and stated working on it in Jan because I new I was due to draw the unit 9 archery hunt. I drew and had the hunt of my life. Now I prefer the bow. Modern compounds and internet archery websites make it an easy and fun transition. I did the late hunt on 9 in 95 , fun but not even close to the sept hunt in comparison. Bugilin bulls are usually a fairly up close experience, perfect for bow hunting.

JON.......I WAS NOT A BOW EITHER, BUT THE LONG LINES FOR EARLY RIFLE NEVER MOVE.....I MEAN NEVER ! PLEASE DONT BLOW 16 POINTS ON A LATE RIFLE HUNT.....THAT WOULD BE SILLY AT BEST. SOME OF THE BIGGEST BULLS IN THE STATE ARE KILLED ON THE 14 DAY BULL HUNTS. YOU GET FIRST CRACK AT THEM TOO !!!

I DREW UNIT 9 BULL ARCHERY THIS YEAR.....GIDDY THAT I DID !!!
I HAD 16 POINTS THIS YEAR DREW # 000010 TAG. BUGLING BULLS AT CLOSE RANGE WITH BOW WILL BE A BLAST. THINK IT OVER.....(NOT A BOW GUY....BUT I LOVE SHOOTING THAT BOW NOW).........GOOD LUCK................YD.

Plenty of time to get setup and dialed in should you choose to go the bow route. Odds should be up soon, reports were done on march 13th.

I had your same concerns regarding the archery vs rifle. I choose to go archery and it worked out. My concern with waiting was the possible introduction of wolves into Az. They have have had a devastating effect in WY which was high on my list to hunt. I'm not that excited about hunting the few elk remaining in WY.

Gents,

Thanks for the replies. I really think you are right YUKONDALL, I don't want to wait 10 more years for an early rifle permit. I hope you do well on your hunt this fall. There is a lot to be excited about when a quality elk tag is in your pocket.

Do you guys feel a quality self guided hunt is achievable with some research, scouting, and hunting the whole 14 days? Or would you recommend researching a quality outfitter?

Self guided DIY with a bow in Unit 9 is totally doable with a bow. You can get multiple encounters every day. In the prime of the rut you can chase bulls all day long.

Before application period next year, get yourself a bow and start shooting. If you like it and are comfortable with your abilities, then put in for early archery. There are many hunting sites, including archery only forums where guys would go out of your way to help you with anything. Some might even offer to help you in the field. September elk hunting in AZ is so awesome some just want to be there, hunting or not.

Thanks BigTom,

I appreciate that advice. I think that is the approach to take, start shooting now, and see if it will work out. Very cool to hear of the helping hands in the archery sport. That will be a huge upside.

In terms of units, any body suggest any other units over 9 with my points? I've been keeping tabs on units 10, and 1 during this process and have had inclinations towards them.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-13 AT 11:01PM (MST)[p] JON.......ANOTHER 10 YEARS WILL NOT GUARANTEE YOU A TAG, JUST TOO MANY PEOPLE IN LINE TO DRAW. I BOUGHT MY BOW 16 MONTHS AHEAD OF WHEN I THOUGHT I WOULD DRAW......GOT IT ALL DIALED IN & THE KINKS WORKED OUT.

A GUIDE IS A HUGE PLUS IF YOU CAN SWING THE $$$$ !! THEY CALL FROM BEHIND YOU & DRAW THE BULLS RIGHT THROUGH YOUR PATH. THEY KNOW WHERE THE BIGGEST BULLS ARE LOCATED, THEY CREATE A LOT OF QUALITY SHOTS MOST DAYS, EAT-SLEEP-HUNT YOU, THEY KNOW THE UNIT AND HAVE PICS OF AVAILABLE BULLS IN A GIVEN AREA. WITH 17 PLUS YEARS IN GETTING DRAWN I WILL MAKE THE MOST OF THIS NEXT ELK SEASON.....(I AM NORMALLY A DIY GUY).......TAKE ER EASY..................YD.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom